Dual 6V batteries drained… what happened here?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Dual 6V batteries drained… what happened here??

I’m on a camping trip right now. I set camp yesterday and went off fishing for a few hours, and since it was hot, I left my Maxx fan running on low to keep the temp inside my 2018 19 from getting too hot. Upon returning, I checked my battery levels on the panel where you check your water and tank levels, and the indicator showed they were down a dot. In other words, not fully charged even though the trailer was sitting in the sun all day, with the solar panel in full sun. Three dots only, when there should have been 4. This was surprising and not normal. They did not charge back up all evening, even though I turned everything off but the essentials (lights, fridge).

This morning there was only 1 dot, even though I had run nothing, no furnace, no fans, nothing. Again, the sun is out, and the panel is getting blasted, but something drained the batteries and they’re not charging. I checked all connections and the batteries themselves. Everything seemed fine, everything was connected, and they had water up to the brim. I climbed up on the back of my truck and looked at the solar panel, and it was clean and clear of dust and debris. The batteries aren’t quite 4 years old. I finally called an RV repair place and made an appointment to bring it in. What else can someone like me do… I’m no electrician, that’s for sure!

As I was hitching up, I noticed I had inadvertently tripped my breakaway cable when I unhitched while setting camp yesterday, and it was no longer connected. I connected it and proceeded to hitch the trailer. When it was hitched, I went inside for my final pre-launch check, and I checked the battery levels again, just for grins. What I found was 3 dots!! They were charging again!

In an hour, they were back to full, and things have been fine ever since. Obviously, not having the breakaway cable attached did something to the system, but I have no idea what, or why. If anyone can answer this, I’d be most interested!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #2

Trailer: ‘22 21C
My guess is your trailer brake magnets were sucking the juice with the break away pulled out overnight.
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Have your brakes checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
My guess is your trailer brake magnets were sucking the juice with the break away pulled out overnight.
More than a guess. That was clearly your issue.

I've read that lengthy time with the brake magnets activated produces a lot of heat and can damage the devices. All that battery energy went somewhere, and it is usually heat, a by-product of activation.

I'd inspect, test and thoroughly check them. Just the magnets, and connections. No issue likely with the brake shoes.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
"My guess is your trailer brake magnets were sucking the juice with the break away pulled out overnight."

More than a guess. That was clearly your issue.

I've read that lengthy time with the brake magnets activated produces a lot of heat and can damage the devices. All that battery energy went somewhere, and it is usually heat, a by-product of activation.

I'd inspect, test and thoroughly check them. Just the magnets, and connections. No issue likely with the brake shoes.
Thanks, will do, and thanks for the explanation! Also hope this thread can be a warning for others… check your breakaway cable if your batteries are losing juice, or not charging!! Seems like I learn something new every time I head out, but this time it was almost a very costly lesson. Hope it can help others…
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Me Too

I did the same thing some years ago. I unknowingly pulled the safety pin when disconnecting the tow vehicle from the trailer. I don't believe there was damage to the brakes. I couldn't figure out what was using power until I went to hitch up. That was the frustrating thing, not knowing where the power was going? I never thought to look at the safety pin. Live and learn...
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
i done this one time. I lucky heard the brakes humming and realized my mistake. Those brakes draw some juice and will run battery down pretty quick. I think it one of those mistakes you only do once.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote