Dual water heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2022, 08:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021
Dual water heater

Can you heat water on electric w/o using the switch inside trailer? I know you can use both at the same time.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Are you asking whether the propane water heater switch needs to be on if you are using 120V to heat water?

If so, then no. At least not in my 21C.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
To use the electric only function of your H2O heater the 120 breaker must be on and the power switch inside the tank hatch must be on as well as the tank must have water in it.
The panel switch controls propane burner operation only. With them both in operation you a get rapid recovery operation from your tank.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Can you heat water on electric w/o using the switch inside trailer? I know you can use both at the same time.
The switch inside the trailer is only for the propane heating function. The switch accessible from the outside removable panel is for the shore power electric heating function. Ours is a simple switch, kind of hard to see at about 8:00 if the water heater was a clock. It’s behind other heater parts. Make sure there’s water in your water heater tank or you’ll fry your element.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-18-2022, 12:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
You can engineer a better control of the electric version in several ways. Some people install a electric switch box and HD switch and install it in the Romex run from the breaker to the water heater. You leave the switch outside on and can control the electric element from inside.

Another way is to install a relay that is 12v controlled and capable of switching about 20 amps of 120v AC and with this installed close to the water heater, again in the Romex run to the WH, you use a dual switch panel and use 12v DC to turn the water heater electric on and off. Suburban makes a dual switch panel for this.

This is the model with the relay built in, SW6DEL (5140A/E)

This is the dual switch panel, ON/OFF Switch, White 232882

For use with DEL Model Tank Water Heaters and Direct Fit Upgrade Water Heaters

Its a shame Escape doesn't offer the Suburban model with the relay built in, I think the model number has a L added to the end of it. Atwood and Dometic have been doing this for years.

Personally I'd rip out that Suburban water heater and install a new Dometic in its place.

Charles
Old 07-18-2022, 07:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021
Yepper, hot water this morning. Mostly been boondocking and using propane. Thanks everyone. We are in Frankfort Mi for four days under the Boondockers Welcome plan, best investment ever ! Hello to Iowa Dave.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
You can engineer a better control of the electric version in several ways. Some people install a electric switch box and HD switch and install it in the Romex run from the breaker to the water heater. You leave the switch outside on and can control the electric element from inside.

So simple to do

Personally I'd rip out that Suburban water heater and install a new Dometic in its place.

Seems like a terrible waste of a water heater that works very well

Charles
No need to have a relay etc.
Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape
Ron in BC,

How and where would you replace the switch?

I recently replaced the switch in my water heater and thought about relocating it to the interior but wasn’t sure of the best way. The existing switch is mediocre quality and in a poor location, as I’m sure many have noticed.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone recommend a Dometic product over some other brand. I always look for an alternative to Dometic, although it’s not always possible. To each his own….
Old 07-18-2022, 03:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone recommend a Dometic product over some other brand. I always look for an alternative to Dometic, although it’s not always possible. To each his own….
While Dometic has changed the water heater (for the sake of change) it is basically the old Atwood design. Aluminum tank (no anode, nor any need for it) a very good system with a simple 4 wires (12v 16 gauge) to control the water heater. Suburban did finally copy Atwood with the relay controlling the heat element allowing for 12v switches as I showed above. None of this switch here, switch there crap. (its the Suburban models that end in DEL.

Suburban you are always dealing with the anode, and wondering when the rust is going to begin.

Charles
Old 07-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Ron in BC,

How and where would you replace the switch?
Answered in a new thread. Might be easier for someone to find at a later date.

Ron
Old 07-18-2022, 09:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ve never had an RV water heater rust problem in 50 years, don’t like my water coming from any aluminum containers, and don’t mind the anode. I prefer the metal plug to the plastic anodeless ones.So, to each his own…..
Old 07-19-2022, 01:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’ve never had an RV water heater rust problem in 50 years, don’t like my water coming from any aluminum containers, and don’t mind the anode. I prefer the metal plug to the plastic anodeless ones.So, to each his own…..
I'm with you there and I'll bet that some folks like Glenn B. with one of the older Escapes hasn't had to replace his because it rusted out.

Ron