Dumb question for smart people... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I asked about this and was told here that it is the bypass for the solar to work when master switch off. Okay, I don't know nothin'.
I believe the solar panel and the controller remains connected to the battery even when the switch is off. The battery switch only cuts power to most (?) 12v items. Not sure, but I think the alarms, propane and CO/smoke remain connected and functional. I believe Reace recommends turning off the battery switch to reduce demand from battery charging when usising a marginal generator, e.g., Honda 2000, to run the A/C. For safety reasons, both alarms should remain functional. Perhaps someone who can attest to this will chime in.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I believe the solar panel and the controller remains connected to the battery even when the switch is off. The battery switch only cuts power to most (?) 12v items. Not sure, but I think the alarms, propane and CO/smoke remain connected and functional. I believe Reace recommends turning off the battery switch to reduce demand from battery charging when usising a marginal generator, e.g., Honda 2000, to run the A/C. For safety reasons, both alarms should remain functional. Perhaps someone who can attest to this will chime in.
Yes, with the master switch off, the solar still works. That, however, is all that works as far as I know. Others can confirm. The switch is to be off for storage only, or repairs or other limited times, so no danger of not having those work when using the trailer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Yes, with the master switch off, the solar still works. That, however, is all that works as far as I know. Others can confirm. The switch is to be off for storage only so no danger of not having those work when using the trailer.
On ours the tongue jack also works with the battery switch off.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #84

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
Most of us are not lucky enough to have an electric tongue jack, but yes, they are wired to have that on also which makes sense, I guess. I don't know if some have it wired to also have that off.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #85

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Yes, with the master switch off, the solar still works. That, however, is all that works as far as I know. Others can confirm. The switch is to be off for storage only, or repairs or other limited times, so no danger of not having those work when using the trailer.
OK. I stand corrected. I just went out and disconnected from shore power and flipped the battery switch off, and the propane detector went off. Given that the converter is powered although not charging the battery when using something like a Honda 2000, the alarms would be powered by the converter, so safety would not be compromised.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #86

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When the switch is off, everything is disconnected from the battery, except for solar which is still powering the battery.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #87

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
This has been debated in other threads but also the breakaway switch should remain powered. Ours appears wired that way, but I've been meaning to test it with the battery disconnect switch in both positions just so I know for sure. As we've seen with other items this may vary by year/model.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote