Electrical wires on overhead cabinet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Electrical wires on overhead cabinet

Does anyone know where the electrical wires leading to the captain's lights on the overhead cabinet over the bed in the 21' are? We want to drill in two small brackets on the bottom of the overhead cabinet and Dirk was wondering if the wires run through the cabinet or if they're tucked under the vinyl, against the wall.

The brackets would be appx 6" in from each end and one or two screws appx 1" and 2" in from the wall.

Thanks much!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Does anyone know where the electrical wires leading to the captain's lights on the overhead cabinet over the bed in the 21' are?
Sure!

Pic 1 shows the passenger side wires going from the lamp to the vinyl at the top front edge of the cabinet.

Pic 2 shows the driver side wires going from the lamp to the vinyl at the top front edge of the cabinet.

From there, I haven't traced it but I'm fairly sure it goes into the corner of the overhead cabinet and then down the corner vinyl cover to the front drivers side of the bed. Pic 3 shows the wires going up to the overhead cabinet.

Quote:
We want to drill in two small brackets on the bottom of the overhead cabinet and Dirk was wondering if the wires run through the cabinet or if they're tucked under the vinyl, against the wall.

The brackets would be appx 6" in from each end and one or two screws appx 1" and 2" in from the wall.

Thanks much!
You might want Dirk to make sure there is something there to drill into. The cabinets are just wood frames with thin lauan wood facings. Most of that solid looking wood is actually hollow.
Attached Thumbnails
Overhead 1.jpg   Overhead 2.jpg   Wires to overhead lamps.jpg  
Old 07-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, anything you want to secure to the lauan stuff, you need a backing plate as its hardly thicker than a corrogated cardboard box.

I've made backing plates from 1/4 hobby/model plywood, for instance...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
John,
Those are some major thick wires there, what are they for? They appear to be thicker than the 30 amp orange electric supply wire shown.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
John,
Those are some major thick wires there, what are they for? They appear to be thicker than the 30 amp orange electric supply wire shown.
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/additional-dc-power-station-12779.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks for the photos and information guys. Dirk looked them over last night. We might be doing something different as that thin piece of wood had even me concerned about putting something under it.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
John,
thats Marine 12/2 ... 12AWG is probably overkill for the 2' long run, but I fused those two circuits for 30A and the powerpole connectors are rated for 30A. And I have a 50 ft roll of marine 12/2. The primary intended use for the powerpole sockets is to plug things like a portable AC inverter in, charging external batteries, etc.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Thank you, thank you, Laura! Your post reminded me that I've been meaning to dig out my dial caliper and get an accurate measurement of the thickness of the paneling I cut out to add a second cabinet door under the bed of our 21'. While digging around in the cabinet, I found a set of padlock keys I've been looking for for years! Now I can finally open that old electric breaker box on a piece of property we're about to sell! You have my undying gratitude for asking about the wiring to your captain lights!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Thank you, thank you, Laura! Your post reminded me that I've been meaning to dig out my dial caliper and get an accurate measurement of the thickness of the paneling I cut out to add a second cabinet door under the bed of our 21'. While digging around in the cabinet, I found a set of padlock keys I've been looking for for years! Now I can finally open that old electric breaker box on a piece of property we're about to sell! You have my undying gratitude for asking about the wiring to your captain lights!

Too funny! You're welcome. You don't owe me a beer as it would go to waste with me. But undying gratitude works.

So, what is the thickness? I'd imagine it's the same on all of their cabinets and such.

I ended up sticking up some big Command hooks and we'll see if that works. I added a "curtain" to the front of the bed area as it's too stark for me. This is the 3rd method I've tried to keep it in place. I'm using a spring loaded curtain rod but it won't stay up against the vinyl wall on its own. Nor would the Command hook stay up on that vinyl wall, so now trying it on the underneath of the cabinet and I can pull the curtain directly out if I want to take it down to wash it. I'll pull it down when I travel to keep the bouncing stress off the hooks.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Too funny! You're welcome. You don't owe me a beer as it would go to waste with me. But undying gratitude works.
So, what is the thickness? I'd imagine it's the same on all of their cabinets and such. ...
I got so excited about finding the keys, I forgot to measure the paneling! I assume it's all the same, but I'll get back with you on that. I just have to find that scrap of paneling now....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

So, what is the thickness? I'd imagine it's the same on all of their cabinets and such.

I ended up sticking up some big Command hooks and we'll see if that works. I added a "curtain" to the front of the bed area as it's too stark for me. This is the 3rd method I've tried to keep it in place. I'm using a spring loaded curtain rod but it won't stay up against the vinyl wall on its own. Nor would the Command hook stay up on that vinyl wall, so now trying it on the underneath of the cabinet and I can pull the curtain directly out if I want to take it down to wash it. I'll pull it down when I travel to keep the bouncing stress off the hooks.
Very easy to do . I think someone already mentioned .just add a back board so there is something substantial to screw into . I would stay away unless you can see the framing because Escape puts wiring there at least on ours . Glue with constructive adhesive etc. the extra wood . That 's it Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote