EMS and 2000i generator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
EMS and 2000i generator

I would like to run my A-C using the 2000i generator but the EMS system will not allow it. My question is it ok to turn off the EMS while using generator. Also I was hooked up to my house electric using an extension cord and EMS blocked it also. Thanks for any help.
Bob and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Susie View Post
I would like to run my A-C using the 2000i generator but the EMS system will not allow it. My question is it ok to turn off the EMS while using generator. Also I was hooked up to my house electric using an extension cord and EMS blocked it also. Thanks for any help.
Yes, turn it off, or make/buy a bonding plug to plug into the Honda. The EMS sees the present setup as an open ground.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You have to make a special bypass plug due to the "lack of grounding" issue with the generator, or just bypass. But while on bypass you no longer have the over/under voltage protection. As fas as on an extension cord, it may not be properly wired, thus the error message or the outlet may not be proper. I would not bypass in that situation.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
While the bonding plug is the proper solution to get most inverter generators to work with an EMS, I'd be concerned about the EMS shutting down when connected to your house. You should not get a fault code or shutdown.

Check the code & correct the problem. Likely an open ground, either in the extension cord or adapter.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
I had a similar problem with my Yamaha generator and I took some wire and a 6 inch spike and created a grounding cable as tractors1 recommended. It worked for me. I have a plug in EMS. Same manufacturer and function as the Escape installed. I don't have any problems connecting to house electric with an extension cord though. You might get a circuit tester and check that the outlet you're plugging into is properly grounded and also check the extension cord.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
If you are comfortable about it you can make your own ground bonding plug.
What people do is buy a 3 prong plug,
Connect the neutral prong to the ground prong with a short piece of wire, a 'jumper'.
The neutral prong is the prong that goes into the widest slot of the two slots in a wall plug that is a three-prong receptacle.
The screw in the three-prong plug will be silver color.
(the other screw will be brass color)
The ground screw will usually be greenish.
You plug that 3 prong plug with the 'jumper' into one of the generators a/c receptacles and plug the trailer three-prong adapter into the generator a/c receptacle right beside it.
Try to get the smallest physical size three-prong plug so that it doesn't interfere with the 30amp to three-prong adapter that you put on the trailer cord.

Here is a youtube about makeing one.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
I ran my AC off my Honda eu2000 generator, I made up a plug to ground the neutral wire on one of the generators outlets. All seemed very happy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3994.jpg   IMG_3993a.jpg   IMG_3992a.jpg   IMG_3991a.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
This topic comes up several times a year. Rather than start a new thread with the same question, I highly recommend searching the forum for previous threads on the same topic. In doing a quick search just now I found no less than 6 threads, same subject.

The same can be said for many other topics. A search doesn't take long, and you'll find in most cases the subject has been thoroughly covered before.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #9

I mentioned earlier that I put together a grounding wire to solve my problem with my Yamaha generator . This picture is from the Honda website and they apparently do the same thing. The green wire is attached to the grounding post with the other end to a ground. In my case I use a 6 inch nail/spike and hammer it into the ground. According to the Honda manual this grounding post is connected to the ground on all the generator receptacles,
Attached Thumbnails
Honda-EU2200-Companion-30A.jpg  
Old 10-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This topic comes up several times a year. Rather than start a new thread with the same question, I highly recommend searching the forum for previous threads on the same topic. In doing a quick search just now I found no less than 6 threads, same subject.

The same can be said for many other topics. A search doesn't take long, and you'll find in most cases the subject has been thoroughly covered before.
Robert, I follow a lot of the threads on this forum and pick up much information that is interesting. But to go back and find something I have read afterwards is daunting.

I know what I'm looking for but can't find it. Threads go off subject almost every thread and sometimes the info I'm looking for had been discussed off topic from the thread's original topic.

It's not that easy - especially for newer members. Forget that - it's not that easy for members that have been here for a while.

May I make a suggestion? For threads that ask a question that has been discussed before and you know where it is, instead of posting the information over again - post a link to the past post that discusses the topic. Would that work?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Good suggestion, or perhaps a sticky for recurring questions...

The OP actually had two questions and the issue with his house supply was a possible danger. This was addressed and hopefully corrected. Just searching he forums for an EU2000 issue with EMS wouldn't have identified this for them.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
May I make a suggestion? For threads that ask a question that has been discussed before and you know where it is, instead of posting the information over again - post a link to the past post that discusses the topic. Would that work?
It would work indeed. Another thing that works is to title the thread properly. For example, instead of titling it something like "electrical question" title it "running generator with EMS". Much easier to find in a search. I often change thread titles to something more specific when I encounter them, but there are just way too many to correct them all.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #13

So what if there had be 50 threads about this issue. It's not like we don't have time to answer a question. Yes, there have been previous posts with excellent answers and examples and if we can provide a link even better but I see no issue with people asking questions about stuff that has already been covered
Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
So what if there had be 50 threads about this issue. It's not like we don't have time to answer a question. Yes, there have been previous posts with excellent answers and examples and if we can provide a link even better but I see no issue with people asking questions about stuff that has already been covered
Sounds like someone is volunteering to become a moderator?............
Old 10-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sounds like someone is volunteering to become a moderator?............
I am from the "Volunteer State" but the last two times I volunteered I wound up at Parris Island for eleven weeks and two days and years later with the 101st in Northern I Corps.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I have never had an issue with running our trailer off our generator
Just set the EMS to bypass . We seldom , if ever use our EMS and prefer to leave it in the bypass mode
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Half the posts in this thread should be moved to a thread on posting.

As for a sticky, there are instructions on how to use the forum, but hardly anybody reads them.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I am from the "Volunteer State" but the last two times I volunteered I wound up at Parris Island for eleven weeks and two days and years later with the 101st in Northern I Corps.
Gee, I managed to do that without volunteering! Go Screaming Eagles!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Central Highlands! I had an opportunity to go back a few years ago with a group from 1st Air Cav. Choose not to.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Gee, I managed to do that without volunteering! Go Screaming Eagles!
I think we were at "Eagle" about the same time.