Experiments with solar panels - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Deal. Send me one of these:
:
--
Alan
Sweet old battery! A bit heavy to ship ... but fun to watch the bubbles

How about a 6v motorcycle battery in a clear jar and a magnifying glass?

A little snow on a panel passes the light fairly well, even with a lot it will trickle charge.

I didn't order the solar package on our 19' because, for the money, there should be a better way then flat on the roof. But I'm still thinking about it, your testing has reignited my interest!

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Sweet old battery! A bit heavy to ship ... but fun to watch the bubbles

How about a 6v motorcycle battery in a clear jar and a magnifying glass?
Mel
Bubbles? How about a carbon rod, some zinc pennies and a little electrolyte in a glass?

But if the objective is a visual indicator, I could submerge the power resistor in a glass of water and stick in a digital thermometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I didn't order the solar package on our 19' because, for the money, there should be a better way then flat on the roof. But I'm still thinking about it, your testing has reignited my interest!
Mel
We came close to not ordering the ETI package because frankly there were more powerful panels available for less $$. And toss in a MPPT controller and you have a state-of-the-art charging system. But what tipped us into the ETI purchase was the esthetics of the "hidden" roof panel. It should have sufficient output for our purposes in the summer and I won't have to drag along an extra portable panel. In the cool seasons however I envision our demands going way up - more lights on longer, furnace running, 12v heat tape on the exposed pipes, maybe a 12v electric blanket (like we used on our boat - kept our bacon from being frozen, if you get my drift), etc. I'm picturing double the electricity demand and half the output from the roof panel for the cool half of our camping season. Since we plan mostly boon-dock camping, I have to replace that loss - and a generator is not an option - if I want to stay married.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
I'm picturing double the electricity demand and half the output from the roof panel for the cool half of our camping season. Alan
When you get this all figured out (very nice work BTW), can you please "package it up" and install it on my trailer as winter is when I do the majority of my camping?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Speaking of solar panels
Attached Thumbnails
Speaking of Solar Panels.jpg  
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
NIce Alan,

With a solar panel mounted flat, however, the reflective panel will have to be positioned above it, angled at about 65 degrees for winter sun in the PNW. BTW, GoPower makes an adapter to tilt the flat 160 watt panel up to as much as 70 degrees. They told me it is an easy retrofit with simple hand tools on an already installed flat unit. Disappointed that ETI wouldn't do this for me during the build. I think we are going that route.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Can you get to the roof panel without bringing along a ladder?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can you get to the roof panel without bringing along a ladder?
Only by standing on the roof of the RAV4. We are planning on purchase of a light three step ladder allowing my head to be 5" above the roof. Hopefully this will be enough to raise and lower the solar panel and brush snow off of it. I'll climb on the RAV4 once to install, or borrow a ladder. ACE hardware has a neat collapsible ladder with a 12' working height but its $250!
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I purchased this 5' step ladder. While I can't quite get to the middle of the roof, I can reach all the necessary stuff other than the AC. The big advantage for me is it fits in a 5" fence post. There is a 6' version available that I like better because it has steps on both sides, but it is too tall to fit across the 17.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #49

Jon, where do you store it for travel?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe CW sells them as well as Amazon.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Comcerning ladders, I have one of these that we use inside the house. It collapses into a very small size that could be easily stored in an rv:

Shop Xtend & Climb 10-1/2-ft Aluminum 225-lb Telescoping Type II Extension Ladder at Lowes.com
Old 11-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Jon, where do you store it for travel?
I added a second piece of 5" plastic fence post under the trailer. The first is used as a replacement for the sewer hose holder so I could use a heavy duty hose.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Solar questions

Quote:
Good question. To paraphrase - two panels, one controller or two?

Let me start by saying that my primary interest is to draw conclusions from actual measurements, and I don't have one controller, much less two, to play with. But I'm always willing to guess...

The "which-is-better" question depends on many variables. For example, are the controllers absolutely identical output - voltage, amperage, charging algorithms, etc? Plus, how do they respond to different input voltages from the panels? Just too many variables.

I'm not sure how blocking diodes come into the picture when talking about
controllers. To my way of thinking, a controller should not allow reverse current to flow - without depending on a diode. But I could be completely wrong... Maybe a diode is necessary to prevent one controller from fooling the other?

Personally, I would go with a single controller with the two (or more) panels combined in parallel before the controller. If nothing else, it would be cheaper.

I can say with some certainty that a controller in the bulk charge mode (maximum charge) can be modeled reasonably well by a low value power resistor. Meaning simply, a heavy load on the panels, pulling down one panel in favor of the other due to sun angle, panel size, shade, etc. If the controller is not in maximum charge mode, say float or equalization, then the load is light and it doesn't matter that one panel is not playing its part. Or to say it differently; adding more solar won't charge an almost full battery any faster.

Hope that helps.
--
Alan
I am getting serious about having Escape install the solar panel and charger . I am solar ready . Will be close to Escape factory and feel comfortable having them do the job . I currently do have a 80 watt go power folding panel . Also have old 1000 watt Honda generator just pulled out of moth balls . I really want to just go solar . I have dual 6 volt batteries also . Now Escape has changed to I think Samplex or something like that 150 watt panel and their controller . I am more familiar with the go power which is 160 watt . I know the controller is important there is a Blue Sky or Morningstar are they better .? What about the new panel or would it better to go with go power ? I want to use folding if needed also . If Escape doesn't want to get me the gopower I could bring it to them or go with what they cur renting use ? Have talked to Tammy about a installation but not the details yet . Don't want anything complicated or pricey . Just a decent system . Also do not want any China stuff .
If anyone could chime in with their thoughts about this I would really appreciate some advice about this . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Good luck on no China stuff. 6 out of the top 10 manufacturers are there. I think both American ones in the top 10 are owned by German companies, but there is a Canadian firm in there too.

Guess Who Are The Top 10 Solar Panel Makers In the World? - Forbes

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had dual 6V on 17B w/no solar; now have single Group 29 12V and solar package. No comparison- works fantastic however we tried to use the fridge on DC in full sun while driving and after 1 hour the monitor indicated the battery at 3/4. That is the same as one week of clouds/rain so that doesn't seem to work.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:36 AM   #56

Pat, How depth do you want to get in user settings? There are better units but they take some effort to learn proper setup. Plug and play they are not.

From a quick glance the Samlex SCC-30AB (if that's the one they are using) looks decent, I'd ask ETI why they changed. One concern if you want to use both the roof top and the portable panels, the input lugs are pretty small. The manual says they accept 10-12 awg as opposed to 6 awg on the GoPower.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #57

Quote:
Pat, How depth do you want to get in user settings? There are better units but they take some effort to learn proper setup. Plug and play they are not.

From a quick glance the Samlex SCC-30AB (if that's the one they are using) looks decent, I'd ask ETI why they changed. One concern if you want to use both the roof top and the portable panels, the input lugs are pretty small. The manual says they accept 10-12 awg as opposed to 6 awg on the GoPower.
I can't today but I will ask why they changed I think because it would match better with the inverter that use or something like that . Can I use the roof top and my portable too ? When you talk about manual is that for the Samlex ? Pat
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Good luck on no China stuff. 6 out of the top 10 manufacturers are there. I think both American ones in the top 10 are owned by German companies, but there is a Canadian firm in there too.

Thanks Charley I bookmarked info . Pat
Old 05-28-2015, 10:24 AM   #59

I think Jon has used both the roof mount and a portable together, don't know of anyone else. I was looking into it and figured I'd add a 2nd set of leads off the INPUT lug on the controller. and NOT use the controller that's mounted on the back of the portable so I'd need enough room for both. Changed my mind and if needed all add a 100W to the roof.

Samlex Manual http://www.samlexamerica.com/documen...814%20Lrez.pdf
Old 05-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post

Should I hold off for awhile ? Article says First solar , Japan's Solar Frontier , Sharp gearing for the market . Is Sharp Made in Japan ? Where is First Solar made ? Who makes Go Power ? Samlex? Thanks Pat