Exterior 12V/USB Outlet - Repair and Replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Exterior 12V/USB Outlet - Repair and Replacement

Escape Trailers offers an optional Exterior 12V/USB Outlet for $66 located on the passenger side under rear clearance light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	62976

It's a dual mount containing both a “cigarette lighter” socket and a USB double socket that looks sort of like this stock photo.

Name:	Example dual mount.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	62977

The USB sockets quit working on our 2020 5.0. Using my multimeter, I checked and found power to the cigarette lighter socket so I figured the USB double socket was bad and should be replaced.

These panel mount sockets are normally easy to take out by removing the plastic lock ring on the back so I wormed my way inside under the passenger seat. Here’s a picture of what I found, looking down the side wall of the trailer.

Name:	Interior looking down.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	62978

The locking ring was there but whoever installed the sockets believed that if a little silicone caulk was a good thing then a whole lot of it smeared over everything must be even better. So let’s just say it took me a lot of cutting, twisting and prying to get the whole thing apart.

Yes, the problem was the USB double socket charger. Just a wee bit of corrosion on the electronics, don’t you know.

Name:	corroded charger.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	62979

Replacement chargers are pretty cheap but I decided against simply replacing the bad one with something like this for a couple of reasons.

Name:	USB insert.jpg
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	62980

The whole setup really isn’t waterproof and whatever replacement charger I would get would probably corrode again in a couple more years. Plus, the kind of charger you want will keep changing, all with the changing standards of different USB sockets and things like Quick Charge and Power Delivery Protocols.

So I bought another cigarette lighter power socket and now have a dual cigarette lighter power socket.

Name:	Dual cigarette lighter power socket.jpg
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	62981

Now I can get a handful of car chargers and just plug them in whenever I need them. They start at $15 or so for the basic ones and go up from there for the fancier models with more features. Besides, I can pull them out when not needed to keep them from corroding. Here’s one of the fancy ones with Quick Charging, Power Delivery and a 65 watt Power Delivery USB-C port.

Name:	Wotobeus.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	62982
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote