Flipping breakers in trailer when plugging in - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #61

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Both offer shore power - one 50/30 amp and one 30/20 amp.
Based on this video, I think the 30/20 will be fine, but with things electrical, I dare not make assumptions.
https://koa.com/blog/30-vs-50-amp-rv-service/

PS: I'm hoping that two nights near Chilliwack will be enough to ferret out any issues, though I don't plan to go much farther the third day, thinking that I'll test out the boondocking systems before meandering back to Texas... unless mid-October weather suggests that I need to hustle along.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:17 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Your power cord plugs into a 30 amp receptacle so either site is fine.

Turn off your main circuit breaker, it's the top one in your panel. Plug in and turn the breaker back on. With a microwave you'll hear it beep and the clock will be flashing and you're good to go. Don't know what happens if you have a surge protector because I don't have one. I'd almost presume that some lights would also start indicating that you now are plugged in and have power. If you have a voltmeter you'll also see that the battery voltage has gone from 12 something to 13 something.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Your power cord plugs into a 30 amp receptacle so either site is fine.

Turn off your main circuit breaker, it's the top one in your panel. Plug in and turn the breaker back on. With a microwave you'll hear it beep and the clock will be flashing and you're good to go. Don't know what happens if you have a surge protector because I don't have one. I'd almost presume that some lights would also start indicating that you now are plugged in and have power. If you have a voltmeter you'll also see that the battery voltage has gone from 12 something to 13 something.

Ron
Thanks for the speedy response, Ron! I'm so relieved!

I do have a surge protector, so according to this thread, I shouldn't experience a problem there. I ordered the "Etekcity Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter, AC/DC Amp Ohm Voltage Tester Meter with Resistance Continuity Capacitance and Diode Test" but haven't yet had reason to use it. As I understand, it's intended for testing batteries. Can it also be used for this purpose? I didn't order a microwave, but my Mp3 player lights up when first plugged in. So … that's one more issue settled!

Old 09-07-2019, 01:01 AM   #64

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks for the speedy response, Ron! I'm so relieved!

I do have a surge protector, so according to this thread, I shouldn't experience a problem there. I ordered the "Etekcity Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter, AC/DC Amp Ohm Voltage Tester Meter with Resistance Continuity Capacitance and Diode Test" but haven't yet had reason to use it. As I understand, it's intended for testing batteries. Can it also be used for this purpose? I didn't order a microwave, but my Mp3 player lights up when first plugged in. So … that's one more issue settled!
Since you have the surge it should scroll (the little remote ) E O that means your electrical is doing great . Everything is fine electrical . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:05 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Since you have the surge it should scroll (the little remote ) E O that means your electrical is doing great . Everything is fine electrical . Pat

Old 09-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #66

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ava,
For future reference, your house has at least 100 amp service, what that means is maximum 100 amp, if you turn everything on inside your house it may use close to that, but it can not exceed that number. Your trailer has 30 amp service, that is the maximum it can use, if you plug into 50 amp it will only use 30 amps. In addition you will need 50 to 30amp adapter. Some cg charge extra for the 50 amp service since that allows more use of electricity. Most motor homes are 50 amp service. Using the 30/20 setup is all you will ever need. Also always turn the exterior breaker off at the cg power pedestal before plugging in, not the breaker inside your camper, that interior breaker should be on all the time. Once you plug in your cord, throw the exterior breaker. Reverse this procedure when unhooking, throw the exterior breaker before disconnecting your power cord.
One more thing, your EMS surge protector works all the time and it will analyze the incoming power and there is a delay, like 2 minutes, until it allows the power into your trailer. This is normal and just be patient.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #67

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Thanks for understanding the newbie's predicament and apparent stupidity!

I'm trying to make reservations for the first two nights after picking up my 17B in mid-October and have finally found a place close to Chilliwack that still has two sites available. Both offer shore power - one 50/30 amp and one 30/20 amp. I've read all about the procedure (in this thread) for testing, plugging in, then turning on something inside the trailer to see if I have power. I'm still clueless as to which power source to choose - IF EITHER of these two choices will work. Hopefully, someone here can advise.

Thanks!
30/20

You will plug into the 30 amp receptacle at the power post. Make sure the breaker at the post is off before you plug into the receptacle. After the plug is in the receptacle, then turn on the 30 amp breaker.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #68

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The surge protector delay is indicated by a tiny blinking red light in the bottom right corner of the display, which, if it's in the same spot as a 2018 17, is on the driver's side rear bench near the sink cabinet. When that light quits blinking it's ok to turn on the refrigerator etc. The display cycles through several readings...iirc it's amps, volts, etc. The E stands for error code, and if it's E 0 all is well. Any other number is some sort of error, all of which are identified in the surge protector manual. For example, I got an error code when I plugged in to an outdoor receptacle at my dad's house...turned out there was no ground (active third prong) at that outlet. Good to know...he got that fixed.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #69

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
The surge protector delay is indicated by a tiny blinking red light in the bottom right corner of the display, which, if it's in the same spot as a 2018 17, is on the driver's side rear bench near the sink cabinet. When that light quits blinking it's ok to turn on the refrigerator etc. The display cycles through several readings...iirc it's amps, volts, etc. The E stands for error code, and if it's E 0 all is well. Any other number is some sort of error, all of which are identified in the surge protector manual. For example, I got an error code when I plugged in to an outdoor receptacle at my dad's house...turned out there was no ground (active third prong) at that outlet. Good to know...he got that fixed.
If you have a microwave, the microwave display will come on when the surge protector goes through its startup cycle and turns on the power. And with the manual for your surge protector there will also be a little business card size card with the error codes on it, it's handy to tape this to the inside of a cabinet door and have it to refer to on those rare occasions when an error code displays.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #70

Quote:
I ordered the "Etekcity Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter, AC/DC Amp Ohm Voltage Tester Meter with Resistance Continuity Capacitance and Diode Test" but haven't yet had reason to use it. As I understand, it's intended for testing batteries. Can it also be used for this purpose?
Yup, the breaker at the power post can be turned off instead of the interior one. I use the interior one, always have, and some power post ones are so worn I just say leave well enough alone. The reason for turning off a breaker is because there are items like the converter that are on the second the power is on. That could create an arc at the plug end which generally should be avoided.

The meter that you've ordered can do a ton of stuff, much of which you might never do. But there's one thing that I'd advise you to do with it before you have any problem. Just take it, set it to volts, put the negative lead on the negative terminal behind the panel and touch a few terminals with the positive lead. Get familiar with it in it's most basic use when you're not in a hurry to try and solve a problem.

Ron
Old 09-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #71

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ava,
For future reference, your house has at least 100 amp service, what that means is maximum 100 amp, if you turn everything on inside your house it may use close to that, but it can not exceed that number. Your trailer has 30 amp service, that is the maximum it can use, if you plug into 50 amp it will only use 30 amps. In addition you will need 50 to 30amp adapter. Some cg charge extra for the 50 amp service since that allows more use of electricity. Most motor homes are 50 amp service. Using the 30/20 setup is all you will ever need. Also always turn the exterior breaker off at the cg power pedestal before plugging in, not the breaker inside your camper, that interior breaker should be on all the time. Once you plug in your cord, throw the exterior breaker. Reverse this procedure when unhooking, throw the exterior breaker before disconnecting your power cord.
One more thing, your EMS surge protector works all the time and it will analyze the incoming power and there is a delay, like 2 minutes, until it allows the power into your trailer. This is normal and just be patient.
When Returning home after I picked up my new 21, I stayed at 2 CG with NO breaker on the pedestal. First time I encountered that in some time. I turned the interior breaker before I plugged in. I was in Idaho.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #72

Wink Thanks from a liberal arts major who's managing to get practical

Quote:
Ava,
Thanks, Jim. This all makes good sense! Adding all of this information to my notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas
30/20
You will plug into the 30 amp receptacle at the power post. Make sure the breaker at the post is off before you plug into the receptacle. After the plug is in the receptacle, then turn on the 30 amp breaker.
Will do, thanks, Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn

Thanks, BJ! ETI is making some modifications to my 17B, but you can be sure that one of the first things I'll be looking for is the surge protector display. I've no desire to put my electrical system at risk, as after boondocking for as long as my water, propane, and solar allow, I'll need to recharge! Adding this info to my notes.

PS: Love your signature quotation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02
If you have a microwave, the microwave display will come on when the surge protector goes through its startup cycle and turns on the power. And with the manual for your surge protector there will also be a little business card size card with the error codes on it, it's handy to tape this to the inside of a cabinet door and have it to refer to on those rare occasions when an error code displays.
Placing the error card - and other such valuable info that may be needed quickly) inside a cabinet door is a great idea, David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC
Yup, the breaker at the power post can be turned off instead of the interior one. I use the interior one, always have, and some power post ones are so worn I just say leave well enough alone. The reason for turning off a breaker is because there are items like the converter that are on the second the power is on. That could create an arc at the plug end which generally should be avoided.

The meter that you've ordered can do a ton of stuff, much of which you might never do. But there's one thing that I'd advise you to do with it before you have any problem. Just take it, set it to volts, put the negative lead on the negative terminal behind the panel and touch a few terminals with the positive lead. Get familiar with it in it's most basic use when you're not in a hurry to try and solve a problem.
I see your point re: the breaker, Ron, and I definitely do want to avoid any problems, especially where electricity is concerned! Timely advice about the meter, too! My daughter has a friend who's a house inspector, and he's going to replace one of her fire alarms this week - a good time to break out the meter (no pun intended) and see what it can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75th Ranger
When Returning home after I picked up my new 21, I stayed at 2 CG with NO breaker on the pedestal. First time I encountered that in some time. I turned the interior breaker before I plugged in. I was in Idaho.

So, Charles, if I'm understanding correctly, turning the interior breaker OFF in "iffy" conditions makes good sense. This is important, as I'll be full-timing for at least a year and am likely to encounter similar circumstances. Thanks!

Old 09-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #73

Ava that is what your surge does . If there is a problem with the incoming power to your trailer it won’t let the power to your trailer . Any error codes on your remote helps to figure out why . But if you are plugged in to your trailer and it is scrolling E O that means everything is fine , no errors . The surge helps to not damage your trailer wiring from bad hookup sources , it will not let the power go through to your trailer . In the 6 years has happened 3 times to us and we are very glad to have it . Pat
Old 09-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #74

Quote:
Ava that is what your surge does . If there is a problem with the incoming power to your trailer it won’t let the power to your trailer . Any error codes on your remote helps to figure out why . But if you are plugged in to your trailer and it is scrolling E O that means everything is fine , no errors . The surge helps to not damage your trailer wiring from bad hookup sources , it will not let the power go through to your trailer . In the 6 years has happened 3 times to us and we are very glad to have it . Pat
Pat, are you suggesting that I relax and let the technology take care of it?

You're right!

That said, the more I study up on everything I need to know before picking up my 17B next month, the more I realize just how much more I need to learn in order to avoid one disaster or another.

Friend Tom has said that he's seen no one on the forum ask as many questions before picking up the Escape than I, and I suspect that's true, for few are likely to have had less experience with the ins-and-outs of RV life and the systems needed to travel in one's home on the road. My only comfort here is in knowing that 1) I will have learned from others more experienced and will surely make fewer mistakes than I otherwise would, and 2) others are likely to have learned and continue to learn through my posts - as I have learned through countless hours of studying threads going back at least three years - many of them yours!

Thanks to you and all others who have generously offered advice and encouragement to all who seek it on this forum. I'm looking forward to meeting you all at one gathering or another in the coming year!

And beginning now, I'm taking the weekend off to relax and let the metaphorical surge protectors in my life take over.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #75
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Ava,
Very helpful thread!! We we not aware that some cg only had a 50 amp outlet, nor the adapter from 50 to 30. Good to know! Ava, I'm taking notes, too!! Thanks all! -Bea
Bea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #76

Quote:

Friend Tom has said that he's seen no one on the forum ask as many questions before picking up the Escape than I, and I suspect that's true,
I don't think so, not even close.

The funny thing is, at some point, you're going to be driving down the highway temporarily even unaware that you're towing. Lot's of folks new to towing have lots of anxiety about the process but at some point they realize that the previous anxiety has faded away. Sorta like a zen moment for them.

Yup, practice, practice with that voltmeter. It's sort of frustrating when someone posts a problem and doesn't even know how to tell if an item is receiving power etc. Problem solving is so much easier if you know how to use a multi meter.

Ron
Old 09-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #77

Quote:
Pat, are you suggesting that I relax and let the technology take care of it?

You're right!

That said, the more I study up on everything I need to know before picking up my 17B next month, the more I realize just how much more I need to learn in order to avoid one disaster or another.

Friend Tom has said that he's seen no one on the forum ask as many questions before picking up the Escape than I, and I suspect that's true, for few are likely to have had less experience with the ins-and-outs of RV life and the systems needed to travel in one's home on the road. My only comfort here is in knowing that 1) I will have learned from others more experienced and will surely make fewer mistakes than I otherwise would, and 2) others are likely to have learned and continue to lea rn through my posts - as I have learned through countless hours of studying threads going back at least three years - many of them yours!

Thanks to you and all others who have generously offered advice and encouragement to all who seek it on this forum. I'm looking forward to meeting you all at one gathering or another in the coming year! :flowers

And beginning now, I'm taking the weekend off to relax and let the metaphorical surge protectors in my life take over.
Ava really smart on your part to ask for help and get answers to your questions . Nothing at all wrong with that . We all had to learn and we still need to question something we are not familiar with .Heck I still ask for help . Someday you will be able to help another out too.
None of us will ever know it all , but we can share what we do know .
Pat
Old 09-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #78

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Ava, you will be way ahead of a lot of new RV'ers with all the knowledge you are gaining now. When everything is new to you it will still seem overwhelming at first learning how everything in your trailer works, but having a general knowledge of all the various systems and how things are supposed to work will have you well equipped to deal with things and ask questions when issues pop up.

Rallies are also a great way to benefit from the shared knowledge and experience of others, in case you haven't already found it there's a website that keeps up with all the fiberglass trailer rallies in Texas, and Escapes are heavily represented at most of them: Home. I know you have a lot of travel plans, and aren't picking up your trailer until October, but there is at least one rally - Matagorda Madness - not too far from you at the beginning of December.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #79

Quote:
Someday you will be able to help another out too.
None of us will ever know it all , but we can share what we do know .
Pat
Yes, and won't that be the day! Looking forward to it!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I know you have a lot of travel plans, and aren't picking up your trailer until October, but there is at least one rally - Matagorda Madness - not too far from you at the beginning of December.
David, I don't know where my meanderings will take me but have Matagorda on the schedule and will be there if all goes according to loosely-laid plans. I'm so looking forward to meeting my new Texas neighbors and the assorted other RV friends who show up - you, Mary, and your 3 cats, too, if they're so disposed! 🐱🐱🐱