Fridge size and propane consumption - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Fridge size and propane consumption

Hello.
Does anyone know the propane consumption per hour of the various fridges Escape uses?

Coming from a pop up, our 1.9 CU FT 3 way fridge goes quite a while on a single 20# propane tank. We haven't been traveling with the fridge on or loaded, but have gone on two week trips with 3-5 day stops where we use the fridge on LP.
The 19 however has a 5 CU FT fridge, and I'm curious if propane consumption per hour is listed for these fridges somewhere.
I know there are some issues with proper operation on the larger fridges, often requiring fans for air flow, but until recently didn't even consider how much more LP they may use.
Our 14-18 day trips are usually without power so we rely on LP. As well gas absorption fridges aren't efficient users of 12V power.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Hello.
Does anyone know the propane consumption per hour of the various fridges Escape uses?

Coming from a pop up, our 1.9 CU FT 3 way fridge goes quite a while on a single 20# propane tank. We haven't been traveling with the fridge on or loaded, but have gone on two week trips with 3-5 day stops where we use the fridge on LP.
The 19 however has a 5 CU FT fridge, and I'm curious if propane consumption per hour is listed for these fridges somewhere.
I know there are some issues with proper operation on the larger fridges, often requiring fans for air flow, but until recently didn't even consider how much more LP they may use.
Our 14-18 day trips are usually without power so we rely on LP. As well gas absorption fridges aren't efficient users of 12V power.
It was my impression regardless of size the propane usage of an absorption fridge is basically just a pilot light.

How Long Will A Propane Refrigerator Run On A Propane Tank?

So how efficient are propane refrigerators?
Propane refrigerators are highly efficient. While the efficiency varies per fridge, most last longer than 11 days running non-stop from a standard 20lb propane tank. You can increase this using our efficiency tips below. Still, use electricity when available: it’s cheaper and doesn’t need refilling.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #3

True, but pilot lights can have different inputs.
Domestic lists the gas consumption in grams per 24h for the smallest 1.9 cu ft unit but not others, just the electrical use.
Also not 100% sure what model fridge is used.
They have 3,4,5 and 6 cu ft fridges available depending on trailer.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

Amy boondockers here able to chime in?
Old 10-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
After picking up my Escape 19 with the Dometic 6 cu ft fridge we used one tank of propane on the 3 week return trip. We only had electric available for 1 week of the 3. We cooked 3 meals a day, ran the fridge on propane, hot water heater on propane and used our propane fire bowl for a couple hours. Two twenty pound propane tank will easily last more than a month unless you are running the furnace.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #6

Thank you.
We seldom use the furnace, and if do, use it for like 10 minutes in the morning to take the chill out. Doubling propane capacity from what we have is a game changer, but lack of published propane consumption baffles me from manufacturer. Like any gas or propane residential or commercial appliance lists BTU input, and at least with that I can do the math.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Quote:
...but lack of published propane consumption baffles me from manufacturer. Like any gas or propane residential or commercial appliance lists BTU input, and at least with that I can do the math.
The older Dometic RM2510 is 1,080 BTU/H. That would be at max setting. Pretty sure that current fridge offering won’t be drastically different.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
We have a 2020 5.0: we go between 14 and 18 days on one tank of propane, running the fridge 24/7 + using the stove to cook at least one meal a day, and usually 2.
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The older Dometic RM2510 is 1,080 BTU/H. That would be at max setting. Pretty sure that current fridge offering won’t be drastically different.
By the way the RM2510 is a 5 cubic foot fridge. I'm sure you can also ask Escape to take a picture of the sticker inside the fridge you are wondering about. It should have the propane consumption there. It should look something like the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
RM2510 sticker.jpg  
Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #10

Thank you everyone!
Based on the input of around 1100 BTU one tank would last up to 16 days.
With this in mind we would probably not chose the compressor fridge option at this time, due to the increased reliance on battery power.
I'm curious to how much more work installing the DC fridge is compared to the ammonia one
Old 10-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We routinely get 14 days on 1 20# tank, that includes cooking, and generally we do not use hot water. We keep the fridge at setting 2, we have never run the fridge on A.C. or DC. In hot, humid Mexico we turned the fridge up to setting 3 to combat the condensation inside. Think we then got 13 days on a 20# tank. Our fridge is the 5 C.F., in 100 degree heat this summer setting 2 kept the fridge at it's normal operating temps. If the fridge wall was pointed west into the afternoon sun we heard a loud buzzing. Fridge still had no problems maintaining at setting 2.