Fuse in inverter circuit? 2018 Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Fuse in inverter circuit? 2018 Escape 19

Our 6 week old inverter has quit working. Called Go Power and was told to remove + and - cables from the inverter, check the current at those cables, and check the fuse. Let the inverter sit without power for 15 minutes, and it might reset. Today we disconnected the batteries from the trailer (just pulled the - leads) waited 15 minutes with no charge to the inverter. Cannot find a fuse between the remote control, the shut off switch, and the inverter. The cables at the back of the inverter have big protective shields on them. Screwed in of course. Removing those screws at the inverter under the dinette seat will require some disassembly of the DC outlet, a bundled cable, and a smaller + cable. Decided that pulling the - at the batteries would be easier for the reset test. Now trying to find a fuse. Thanks for any hints.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am not sure how ETI wires inverters or solar, but power may still have been to the inverter if you have solar or were plugged into A/C. Both the solar and/or the A/C battery charge built into the trailer could have kept power on to the inverter.
Hope this helps.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Cannot find a fuse between the remote control, the shut off switch, and the inverter. The cables at the back of the inverter have big protective shields on them. Screwed in of course. Removing those screws at the inverter under the dinette seat will require some disassembly...
Now trying to find a fuse. Thanks for any hints.
There should be no need to disassemble anything at the inverter. There should be a fuse for the inverter at or close to the positive terminal of the battery. Several owners with factory-installed inverters have posted photos of the connections at the battery. Perhaps someone could link to one of the those photos, showing this fuse... or you could post a photo of the connections at your battery, and someone can point out the fuse in your photo.

Depending on the model of inverter, it may also have an internal fuse, as described in the manual (for the inverter) which should have come with the trailer. An internal fuse like this cannot readily be checked, but should only blow if the inverter is hooked up with reverse polarity. If there is a fuse problem, it should be with the one on the positive supply cable near the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I am not sure how ETI wires inverters or solar, but power may still have been to the inverter if you have solar or were plugged into A/C. Both the solar and/or the A/C battery charge built into the trailer could have kept power on to the inverter.
There should be no connection of DC power to the inverter except through the heavy cables, dedicated to the inverter, which run directly to the battery. Even with the solar system and/or the converter providing power, disconnecting either of the inverter-to-battery cables should completely kill power to the inverter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The fuse on our 21 is, as stated, near the positive terminal on the dual 6 volt batteries. It’s inside of an orange holder and is one of the “maxi” blade type fuses. The fuse itself is not visible, you have to access the holder. On our 2012 Hilander, there was also a fuse near the vehicle battery in the same Style holder. On the 2018 we have a pair of Circuit breakers instead.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have to look it up every time, but A/C is air conditioning and AC is alternating current. At least that's the way it is supposed to be.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have to look it up every time, but A/C is air conditioning and AC is alternating current. At least that's the way it is supposed to be.
correctomondo......
Old 11-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Then what’s the difference between TV and TV?
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post

Would be so much easier, and only one more letter, if we used "tow" instead of TV. But I guess a tow can have A/C but a TV has AC, or maybe DC, and is likely HD.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Would be so much easier, and only one more letter, if we used "tow" instead of TV. But I guess a tow can have A/C but a TV has AC, or maybe DC, and is likely HD.
My TV has A/C plus an inverter that supplies AC.

Whatever
Old 11-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
But, tow is different than tow vehicle. How about... Sony TV or Ford TV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
One is correct for television, the other just a lazy way to type tow vehicle. People will always say they are going to watch TV. Who says they are going to go drive the RV?

We rely too much on acronyms these days. It takes but a split second more at the most to type tow vehicle, than to type TV. Heck, like baglo says, using tow is even better.

I do realize my thoughts mean squat though as folks will do as they please, and often here they seem to like to use made up words for items all the time which lends to confusion, it is like a game.

I know in my line of work (home building and renovations) I took the time to educate customers on proper terminology of products and processes, as otherwise it left room for misinterpretation and errors when talking to me, my employees or my subtrades. Besides, it is easier to explain proper terminology than to try to learn what others actually mean. That doohickey or thingy actually have real name.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It takes but a split second more at the most to type tow vehicle, than to type TV. Heck, like baglo says, using tow is even better.
But, but... tow is my trailer, tug is the truck.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #13

I had a female supervisor for several years. She was very competent but did not have a construction background. We were reviewing the notes from a meeting regarding building a swimming pool. We had a great relationship so she did not mind asking me “what the hell is a CMU”? A term which the engineer had used liberally in the meeting. I told her CMU was a concrete masonry unit or in common terms a concrete block in our case. From then on she used that term whenever she could and always gave me a wink. I don’t mind the cryptic abbreviations and kind of enjoy the slang speak of different age and social groups, I just wish I knew what they mean at times. I mean, I’m totes jelly of the wings on some of these college DL players I see on TV. The Uban dictionary is a resource but some terms disturb me.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #14

Of course, terminology is very regional.

On our first trip to Canada in ‘99, we met a guy in a parking lot and he was recommending some places to camp. He kept saying that a campground was ‘serviced’. Serviced? By who? Why?
He went on to explain that the sites had ‘hydro’. I was pleased with that because we did need water.

Then we went shopping. My wife saw this guy who just finished loading his groceries in his car. Locally, we would offer to take the cart to save that person a trip to the cart storage place. As my wife grabbed the cart, the guy started repeatedly saying ‘loonie’ ‘loonie’.
My wife didn’t have a clue what he was talking about, ‘loonie’ means crazy where we live, but apologized and walked away.
Turns out getting a cart required a deposit of one loonie. who knew?

Just another clueless Yank trying to speak American in Canada.

Eh?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
But, but... tow is my trailer, tug is the truck.
You are then putting the cart before the horse. The trailer would be the towed, or "toad" as motorhome folks like to call their towed vehicles.
Quote:
Of course, terminology is very regional.

On our first trip to Canada in ‘99, we met a guy in a parking lot and he was recommending some places to camp. He kept saying that a campground was ‘serviced’. Serviced? By who? Why?
He went on to explain that the sites had ‘hydro’. I was pleased with that because we did need water.

Then we went shopping. My wife saw this guy who just finished loading his groceries in his car. Locally, we would offer to take the cart to save that person a trip to the cart storage place. As my wife grabbed the cart, the guy started repeatedly saying ‘loonie’ ‘loonie’.
My wife didn’t have a clue what he was talking about, ‘loonie’ means crazy where we live, but apologized and walked away.
Turns out getting a cart required a deposit of one loonie. who knew?

Just another clueless Yank trying to speak American in Canada.

Eh?
I was not aware that a serviced campsite is a Canadian term. Is that term not used in the US too? I though it was. Here we refer to services in a building as the water, sewer, electric and HVAC all the time (phone and cable too).

Hydro is a BC term that I agree is a bit of a misnomer, as it is just a shortened term for hydroelectricity and by itself is not that descriptive.

A loonie though is just that. Nothing else but a crazy person is a loonie. And we do have lots of both here in Canada.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #16

“I was not aware that a serviced campsite is a Canadian term. Is that term not used in the US “

Not commonly at least.
Full hookups, partial, water/electric,etc. but rarely, if ever, ‘serviced ‘

And what you call services to a building I would call utilities.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
At least "loonie" is easy to understand once you notice the loon on the dollar coin. "Toonie" for the two-dollar coin (which doesn't have any loons on it) also makes sense, but is one step more obscure.

"Hydro" is an annoyingly deceptive term, but it's not just used in British Columbia. It is probably common in many areas where the traditional method of electrical generation is by water power. It's even built into company names across Canada, such as BC Hydro, Manitoba Hydro, Hydro One (Ontario), Hydro-Québec, and Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro. But not here in (traditionally) coal-fired Alberta. Most Canadians would understand "hydro" to mean electrical utility service.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #18

If someone says hydro to me I am thinking B and M hydro transmission from the hot rod days. Right Donna?
Iowa Dave
Old 11-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If someone says hydro to me I am thinking B and M hydro transmission from the hot rod days. Right Donna?
Iowa Dave
First gear lock out!
Old 11-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The 200 amp "bolt on" inverter fuse (located at the batterie's positive terminal) didn't blow, but cracked. Gave me intermittent use of the inverter - one day it worked, the next the remote indicator LED just flashed. Wiggling the fuse fixed it temporarily, but eventually I replaced it. Picked up the replacement at NAPA.