Generator for Escape 21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 03:57 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Generator for Escape 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
One thought. I have 320 watts of solar on the roof & carry an additional 160 watt portable panel that I add when needed. Even with tilting the rooftop panels and adding the portable, during December & January in Quartzsite, AZ, I've found that a string of cloudy days can take the pair of 6V batteries lower than I'd like.

I admit I use more amp hours per day than most (40 - 50 per day) but to keep doing that, I'm looking at a propane generator just to top off the batteries (not run the microwave or AC). While I haven't seen one yet, the Ryobi 900 watt propane generator looks to do what I want. Has anyone seen this?

Wow, that’s cute! I love that it’s propane fired out of the box without conversion that the Honda and others require. One thing that crosses my mind though, is that as it has only one outlet plug and is labeled as having a floating neutral, you wouldn’t be able to use your EMS with a neutral bonding plug. Unless you somehow make a pass through neutral bonding plug? Or just turn off EMS.

One other thing, it looks like it takes straight high pressure LP to the unit, as the included 20# adapter hose doesn’t appear to have a regulator, so I’m not sure this would work with a factory quick release setup.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:28 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 F150 3.5 EB
I use the Duromax xp2000eh duel fuel (gas/propane) generator to run the a/c on my 21 when boondocking. It comes equipped with a regulator to run off a propane tank but can be easily adapted to run off the low pressure quick connect if you have it.

mscharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I've got a request for information at the Progressive Dynamics website on whether their 55 amp Lithium replacement converter (for the WFCO) wall mount (PD4655LIV (55-AMPS)) can be "dialed back" to match the output of the 700 watt generator. They do make a 35 amp version - PD4635LIV (35-AMPS), which might be a solution.
While it would be nice to get a solution for the larger converter, I suspect it will be an unusual request. Most of the Lithium users want the fastest charging possible...
Well, I got my answer from PDI. For a 900/700 watt generator, purchase the PD4635LIV (the 35 amp converter. That should work since the only time I really felt the need for a hookup site was to run the AC, not to bulk charge the batteries. 35 amps should be plenty to meet the running requirements of the trailer when hooked up.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Wow, that’s cute! I love that it’s propane fired out of the box without conversion that the Honda and others require. One thing that crosses my mind though, is that as it has only one outlet plug and is labeled as having a floating neutral, you wouldn’t be able to use your EMS with a neutral bonding plug. Unless you somehow make a pass through neutral bonding plug? Or just turn off EMS.

One other thing, it looks like it takes straight high pressure LP to the unit, as the included 20# adapter hose doesn’t appear to have a regulator, so I’m not sure this would work with a factory quick release setup.
I suspect I will need to open it up an make the neutral/ground bond internally.

As to propane pressure, I am pretty sure this will only run on high pressure (direct from the tank), and not function on the trailer's low pressure system. Since I already carry a 5 pound propane tank for my grill, if I get the generator, I'll just switch to carrying a 20 pound tank instead.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
As to propane pressure, I am pretty sure this will only run on high pressure (direct from the tank), and not function on the trailer's low pressure system.
Like any high-pressure propane appliance, the regulator is mounted internally. Again like those appliances, you would need to know if the regulator can be separated from the rest of the hardware (which ends in a vapour carburetor), and if the internal regulator's output pressure is the 11"WC of the trailer's low-pressure supply. It might be practical to convert, but maybe not.

It is a tidy setup, with a place for a one-pound cylinder on top. It is strange that it holds the cylinder nearly horizontally, since that would provide propane as a liquid until the level came down enough, then vapour after that. Of course it should be getting vapour, and will get only vapour from the large cylinder.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:05 AM   #46

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

That is really cute. I would think you could bond the neutral to the ground in an extension cord to use with the generator. You could also use a charger like an IOTA charger like a DLS-45 which with could also charge your car battery.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Very useful thread. Thanks for the info. A propane powered generator may be in my future (boondocking, in the Desert Southwest). We shall see. So much of what you need depends on what you do that I don't think a person can make sensible decisions about all this until he or she has established a pattern of camping. You just can't say 'I don't need a genset, so neither do you.' If it turns out I need an inverter generator for how I use my Escape, this is very good information.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
What We'll be Running....

Hi Bob,

I'm assuming we'll be running the lights, maybe the microwave at meal times, and lights on a consistent run time. We got the AC, so we might be running it from time to time when it's hot and for the dogs after an event. More than likely we'll be charging the batteries. I'm still very new to all of this.

I'm hoping some time in the future to be switching to solar. We're big time avocates for solar. We have 40 panels on our barn and what a difference it makes on the bi-monthly bills!

Again, thank you for your information.
MoBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #49

Trailer: Still Deciding
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBar View Post
Greetings everyone!

Yes, another question pertaining to generators. As stated above, we have an Escape 21 and we love it! We're in the market for a generator mainly because we travel with four dogs, we travel to secluded areas for fly fishing and to get away from other campers. We have been adventuring on 4-5 day trips, so I'm looking at the Honda2200 or the Generac3000. Any opinions? We're very new to the trailor world, any help is greatly appreciated. Stay safe and have fun!
The Honda is great BUT many $'s The Champion is becoming a favorite alternative, great quality, performance for way less money.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #50

Trailer: want to purchase a camping trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBar View Post
Greetings everyone!

Yes, another question pertaining to generators. As stated above, we have an Escape 21 and we love it! We're in the market for a generator mainly because we travel with four dogs, we travel to secluded areas for fly fishing and to get away from other campers. We have been adventuring on 4-5 day trips, so I'm looking at the Honda2200 or the Generac3000. Any opinions? We're very new to the trailor world, any help is greatly appreciated. Stay safe and have fun!
I had to make the same decision about seven years ago and ended up buying a Yamaha 2000is rather than the Honda EU2000. They are both great units but the Yamaha was a little lighter and had a longer run time. It has been faultless in seven years of fairly light use. This spring we ran it continually for 70 hours when our power went out. Here is a comparison: https://www.thegeneratorpower.com/ya...honda-eu2000i/

With either unit I would encourage you to use ethanol free gas, run the carburetor dry after use, and to add Stabil to the fuel. Must admit that today I might consider a Harbor Freight inverter unit as they get great reviews and are about half the price.
B&JinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #51
Djs

Trailer: 2017 escape 17b
I'm a full timer in my 17b and have thec160 watt solar panel and a 100 watt portable panel strapped to my spare. For clouds/ winter I also have had a harbor freight Predator 2000 generator for the past six months, paid 500 bucks for It. It is very quiet reliable, and easy to start. The trick to keeping them running is to run it once or twice a week. I can't see any advantage to spending twice as much for a Honda of the same capacity. I run it with it under the aluminum tonneau cover with the covet open a little. Keep exhaust away from meltables combustible ..melted my plastic tool box.
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Whether or not you need a generator has a whole lot to do with where and the time of year you camp. IF you need A/C, it would mean you need to be hooked up or have a generator. The only other option would be to be hot! Lucky those that can always search out cooler places but that's not always an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstpug View Post
As my fellow Minnesotans can attest, summer in Minnesota is often HOT & HUMID!! I wouldn't be without A/C in Minnesota. Also, our pugs suffer on hot days and need the A/C as much or more than we do.
Yes but to be totally honest you live in Southern Minnesota close to the banana belt
Northern Minnesota and the UP of michigan are a totally diferent climate
We don’t have A/C in our home and I figure if I can survive so can our dog
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #53

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
Question Yamaha 2200 - used once has been offered any views?

Hi All

Being a green horn to RVing can anyone give me an opinion on this.
We are due to collect our 21 in May and a neighbour's friend is selling up and moving so needs to find a home for an only used once Yamaha 2200 Generator. 1,300 CDN when new and wants 1,000 CDN. At this point that is all I know. I have the usual Solar options specified on the 21 but will be boon docking at some way out fishing locations where I am sure I will need one on occasion. IMHO for 300 saving I would buy new as I get the full warranty and latest version?
AnglingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #54

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Call Escape and ask Reace, opinions and antidotes just are not facts. Our person at orientation told us nothing less than 3000 watts. No we are not making this up. Reace is the expert. We briefly owned a Yamaha 2200 generator, it is quiet, starts easy, sips gas, is very reliable. It could not run the 10,000 BTU A.C. in our Casita. But YMMV.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you have solar, I'd not bother with a generator. You don't say if you plan to run A/C.
Has this neighbour started the generator up for you? I've tried to run my Honda 1000 every few months and I've used Stabil gas additive and I still had to pay to have the carb cleaned because of water in the fuel.

In general, generators make noise, require one to carry fuel and require maintenance. Specifically, if I decided I really wanted ( needed ) one, I'd expect to pay less than half the price of new, or I'd buy new.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 21 Build due for May Completion - towed by 2018 F150 S/Crew 3.5L EcoBoost XLT/FX4 6.5 Box
thanks for the feedback. I have dropped Reace an email for correct sizing, recommendations, etc and will set off from there. Yes I have opted for A/C.
AnglingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #57

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Please share his response. I'm picking up a 19 in June (with the air conditioning) and will be using it in the Desert Southwest. I'm not looking to run the full menu of electrical goodies on a generator, but would like to be able to crank up the AC while boondocking in the desert (say, after a September dove hunt in southern New Mexico). My dog is particularly interested in what it will take.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #58

Trailer: ?
Smile

Here is the owners manual for the currently used in the 21’ Dometic model 640310. At least this is the unit installed in my nearly new 21.

Go to Page 4, Specifications, Table A.

Here you will find the Dometic answer to the generator sizing question.

Minimum 2.5KW at lower elevations. The previous stated 3,000 watts looks like a good recommendation

https://www.dometic.com/assets/58/71...1.pdf?att=true
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Here is the owners manual for the currently used in the 21’ Dometic model 640310. At least this is the unit installed in my nearly new 21.

Go to Page 4, Specifications, Table A.

Here you will find the Dometic answer to the generator sizing question.

Minimum 2.5KW at lower elevations. The previous stated 3,000 watts looks like a good recommendation

https://www.dometic.com/assets/58/71...1.pdf?att=true
I have a Yamaha 2400 generator and it runs the A/C fine with some room left for keeping the battery charged. I have to run the fridge and hot water heater on propane when using the generator but that is to be expected.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #60

Trailer: Still Deciding
Putting a "soft start" on the AC unit will help on a smaller gen. BUT if you don't have one already........... buy a larger gen. too much is better than just not quite enough.
I would pass on your neighbors gen..............they need to be ran frequently to keep them healthy.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote