Generator-Honda 2000- to keep or to sell? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I always read the reviews and then take them with a grain of salt. But, I did see this "it cannot be used successfully above 7000 feet." If that's a concern.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #62

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Although the cost of some of the lesser known brands seems favorable, what would concern me and be a major factor in any generator purchase, would be the ability to take the generator to a local shop for repairs, parts, or service. If that type of support is not readily available, I would go with a major brand such as Honda or Yamaha.
Good point as many of us are concerned more about total cost of ownership and convenience. I agree that some of the lesser known brands may lack appropriate avenues for service. For many the Generac may actually be easier to find service for than a Honda, and especially Yamaha. Probably depends highly on your local power equipment dealer network.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:24 PM   #63

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I don't have a generator but if I did I'd want to hear how loud it was before purchase. I've seen some campers start their generators, then head off in the car or on foot to get away from the racket!!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #64

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I don't have a generator but if I did I'd want to hear how loud it was before purchase. I've seen some campers start their generators, then head off in the car or on foot to get away from the racket!!
We fired up our Honda 2000i at a state park then went for a walk. When we came back one of the neighbors had shut it off.

Even a "quiet" generator is really annoying.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #65

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
If you have the Progressive Electrical Management System, only Honda Generators have been tested by Progressive (as of 2015. I have no idea what kind of testing has happened subsequently), and they have confirmed verbally that Honda works.
They don't recommend any particular generator but they confirmed that Honda works if you turn the EMS switch off. The on/off switch for the EMS system only disables the low voltage protection, it does not disable the high voltage protection. I can confirm that our Yamaha 2000 did not play nice with the EMS system. The
EMS detected a high voltage condition and shut it down. I can also confirm that the Honda 2000 (traded in the Yamaha) did work with both the EMS and the air conditioner.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #66

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We fired up our Honda 2000i at a state park then went for a walk. When we came back one of the neighbors had shut it off.
Too bad it doesn't work that way for barking dogs, screaming kids, and late night party animals
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #67

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Even a "quiet" generator is really annoying.
that's true hahaha. Funny how generator users always want to put their generators closer to my site than their own!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #68

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Well the question now is will the Honda 2000i still run an AC if it's been converted to propane as some report that the unit is marginal at best when running on gas.
Have 2019 19' with Dometic Penguin I, Model 640310, 11k BTU AC.

We have the EU2000i converted to propane using the Hutch Mountain Honda EU2000i Propane, Natural Gas, Gasoline TriFuel Conversion Kit SKU: #HMEU20iTRIK. I have the neutral/ground bonding plug, so the EMS stays inline. This works well for power tools, and to charge Escape batteries, run refrigerator, etc.

Installed EasyStart 364 as shown. Trained it 8 or 9 times, and it operates well on 30A shore power (but it is LOUD). Noticed the compressor doesnot make the big clunk start sound. Seems to start and run smoothly.

The EU200i generator runs well with AC off. It runs well with AC fan only running. When the compressor comes on, the EMS shows 90 VAC voltage, and the EMS cuts off the power.

Have tried several times, and we have no success.

Have ordered a new 20A to 30A dogbone to see if that helps.

Thoughts?

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #69

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Have 2019 19' with Dometic Penguin I, Model 640310, 11k BTU AC.

We have the EU2000i converted to propane using the Hutch Mountain Honda EU2000i Propane, Natural Gas, Gasoline TriFuel Conversion Kit SKU: #HMEU20iTRIK. I have the neutral/ground bonding plug, so the EMS stays inline. This works well for power tools, and to charge Escape batteries, run refrigerator, etc.

Installed EasyStart 364 as shown. Trained it 8 or 9 times, and it operates well on 30A shore power (but it is LOUD). Noticed the compressor doesnot make the big clunk start sound. Seems to start and run smoothly.

The EU200i generator runs well with AC off. It runs well with AC fan only running. When the compressor comes on, the EMS shows 90 VAC voltage, and the EMS cuts off the power.

Have tried several times, and we have no success.

Have ordered a new 20A to 30A dogbone to see if that helps.

Thoughts?

73/gus

We have the EU2000i running on gas and an AC with the easy start. Our EU2000i runs the AC easily with very little voltage drop. We run into generator problems when we run the AC and the battery is under a heavy charge. It could be your battery was under a heavy charge or maybe the generator power is reduced due to using propane instead of gas.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Another approach to consider if you don't want to carry a gas can - I now carry a small 900/700 watt propane only Ryobi inverter generator. It WILL NOT run the air conditioner, but it will recharge the batteries if my solar panels end up in the shade or after a string of cloudy days.

The generator is only for back up. I have gone as long a 91 days on solar alone, but with it I don't need to change my lifestyle when there isn't enough solar.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #71
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We have the EU2000i running on gas and an AC with the easy start. Our EU2000i runs the AC easily with very little voltage drop. We run into generator problems when we run the AC and the battery is under a heavy charge. It could be your battery was under a heavy charge or maybe the generator power is reduced due to using propane instead of gas.
yeah, propane has less power capability, so those 2000i generators, normally rated about 1600 watt sustained, are reduced to like 1300 watts, which is not enough for the A/C
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Another approach to consider if you don't want to carry a gas can - I now carry a small 900/700 watt propane only Ryobi inverter generator. It WILL NOT run the air conditioner, but it will recharge the batteries if my solar panels end up in the shade or after a string of cloudy days.

The generator is only for back up. I have gone as long a 91 days on solar alone, but with it I don't need to change my lifestyle when there isn't enough solar.
I sure like the idea of not having to deal with gas. We have a 2000-watt Champion that we had to pull out a couple of times last summer when in a highly shaded site. We don't have AC, so I'm assuming we might be able to keep the batteries charged with the 900 running propane?

Looks like only $299 - https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/p...rter-generator
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
I sure like the idea of not having to deal with gas. We have a 2000-watt Champion that we had to pull out a couple of times last summer when in a highly shaded site. We don't have AC, so I'm assuming we might be able to keep the batteries charged with the 900 running propane?

Looks like only $299 - https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/p...rter-generator
I'm reasonably impressed with the generator. Like all inverter generators, the sound specifications are based on a minimal load, and it gets louder when drawing > 500 watts, but it is very light, and if you are only running it for a short time, it accepts the 1 pound disposable cans. It comes with a very short adapter hose to let you attach it to a standard 20 pound tank.

The only concern I would have is the larger Escapes come with a 55 amp converter. If the batteries are very low and the WFCO converter actually goes into the bulk mode (which, is unlikely because of poor design), you may find that the generator trips out because the converter draws more than 700 watts.

I did run it when my older 6V batteries were at 80%, and the converter only drew 5 amps, so I suspect it wouldn't be a problem as long as you recharged before the batteries get too low. I did have to take the refrigerator off automatic & manually put it on propane.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
3 hours at 25% load (25% of 700W is 175 watt) per lb of LP/propane.

it appears to have a disposable 1lb cylinder style propane input, so you would need an adapter hose to run it off a 20 lb tank.... ok, it comes with that adapter hose.

i'd hazard that it would use about 1 lb per hour at max output, so a 20 lb tank would last 2 days of 10 hours each.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote