Go Power/battery charging question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2023, 04:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Go Power/battery charging question

I just watched the video on solar panels where the Go Power is explained. At about 3 min 40 sec he talks about it equalizing the batteries on its own monthly. However it is not clear whether when plugged in to shore power it does anything. Is this just for solar charging or is it true period?

And I noticed on the video the Go Power is mounted in an easy to read spot. But in the trailer- not so easy.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 17B
It will equalize on its own provided you have sun shining on the panel(s) providing current. It likely will not do this when plugged in to shore power but a lot of the converter/charger units will do the same so you should be covered for either scenario.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
It will equalize on its own provided you have sun shining on the panel(s) providing current. It likely will not do this when plugged in to shore power but a lot of the converter/charger units will do the same so you should be covered for either scenario.
From the Go Power GP-PWM-30 manual:
"... four stage charging system and optional equalize setting ..."
(emphasis mine)

The user may select equalization or not as recommended by the battery manufacturer.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 11:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 17B
Well, it's a little deceptive because it's a built in function of selecting a flooded battery type. If you don't want it to equalize you'd have to select AGM as battery type. So yes, user selectable but not exactly obvious. If someone weren't familiar with the system they'd struggle to figure that out I suspect.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 11:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Well, it was set on the right function but in the past I didn't always leave the trailer plugged in in the winter. I guess I will and see if we do better with the next set of batteries. (Which I have not replaced yet.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote