GoPower Panel Catastrophic Failure - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I have to disagree with you on this. The existing holes are on the bottom edge. Adding a flat piece along the bottom would do very little to resist flexing of the panel. A 90 degree angle would both have a vertical surface to resist the flexing and a horizontal surface to bolt to the panel.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have had one 160W panel for six years and have never thought I needed more. Even have a Renogy suitcase and zamp, yet don't bother carrying that. So me thinks most people who get two panels do it for no real reason other than like a lot of other options they just do it.
I've gotten along on boats for many years with less than 100 watts. Now I do have a 100 watt portable panel but I have to admit that the roof mounted 100 watt panel does a pretty good job by itself.

But, good lord, have you noticed the kind of loads some folks are running off their batteries? Different strokes for different folks.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Have had one 160W panel for six years and have never thought I needed more. Even have a Renogy suitcase and zamp, yet don't bother carrying that. So me thinks most people who get two panels do it for no real reason other than like a lot of other options they just do it.
Maybe, or maybe different people have different needs.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #83

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our trailer has dual rooftop solar panels and I have no logical explanation why , it certainly isn’t because of need or aesthetics.
Our trailer is currently in Winter storage and probably will remain there for the next 8 months to a year , so I have plenty of time to ponder a solution .
Since we don’t need both solar panels maybe eliminating the front solar panel would be the simplest solution but that approach doesn’t set well with me
Maybe we need to buy more electronics
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #84

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've gotten along on boats for many years with less than 100 watts.
Fortunately, there aren't a lot of trees on the water providing unwanted shade.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:41 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The existing holes are on the bottom edge. Adding a flat piece along the bottom would do very little to resist flexing of the panel. A 90 degree angle would both have a vertical surface to resist the flexing and a horizontal surface to bolt to the panel.
If the weak link of the panel frame is the strength of the bottom flange of the frame, then it seems to me that bolting even a flat strip through the existing holes would be a substantial improvement.

Still, it would make more sense to me to bolt an angle to the same holes, with the other leg of the angle going down as an air dam to reduce air flow under the panel, as well as providing much more stiffness and strength.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #86

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the weak link of the panel frame is the strength of the bottom flange of the frame, then it seems to me that bolting even a flat strip through the existing holes would be a substantial improvement.

Still, it would make more sense to me to bolt an angle to the same holes, with the other leg of the angle going down as an air dam to reduce air flow under the panel, as well as providing much more stiffness and strength.
Rightly or wrongly I was under the impression that the solar panel was mounted up off the fiberglass body of the trailer to allow air circulation under the panel to dissipate heat
If you ran angle iron as you suggest would that restrict the air flow when stationary and limit the cooling of the panel ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Rightly or wrongly I was under the impression that the solar panel was mounted up off the fiberglass body of the trailer to allow air circulation under the panel to dissipate heat.
I suspect that the stock mounting height has more to do with clearing the middle of the roof and using off-the-shelf brackets than planning for air circulation... but yes, that's one aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you ran angle iron as you suggest would that restrict the air flow when stationary and limit the cooling of the panel ?
The sides and back would still be wide open, and even the front would have space under the angle, especially at the ends. I was thinking of the reinforcement only on the front. I think it's a fair question, but I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Fortunately, there aren't a lot of trees on the water providing unwanted shade.
That's made up for the fact that the boat is always moving about and sometimes heeled over in the wrong direction for good solar.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #89

Trailer: 2020 Escape
Edge reinforcement

I will be receiving my trailer mid Dec. I will be reinforcing the leading edge. May just be a piece of Aluminum angle Or flat strap on leading edge. Either one will provide plenty of support. May just 3M 5200 and use no fasteners, just light clamping to assure a good permanent bond layer of thickness.
DC Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #90

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Added reinforcing 1-1/2" x 1/8" thick angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Boyd View Post
I will be reinforcing the leading edge. May just be a piece of Aluminum angle Or flat strap on leading edge. Either one will provide plenty of support.
We reinforced our front-facing and rear-facing, front-of-trailer-mounted solar panel frame, which I entered as a new thread.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #91

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Many Escape Trailer-ing adventures ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Also, nice that you and your daughter's family, both, have Escape trailers now! We have yet to convince our kin to join the Escape club....but I think we may be getting closer. Not an easy way for your daughter's family to begin their Escape journey but with you, Escape's great warranty and the amazing advice from fellow Escapers here, we trust it will get remedied soon.
PS. We have found that the more that goes wrong in a trip, the greater the chances it will be brought up with laughter, over and over during a holiday meal! Hang in there!!!
We are sure enjoying traveling together with our two Escape trailers. We can highly recommend this for any family, especially during COVID times. Our first, two-trailer journey together was a 23-day, 3400 mile adventure.

They continue awaiting delivery of the replacement 190W panel, which appears to be backordered with GoPower.

Suspect we will be discussing this incident and our next trip during Thanksgiving lunch. Perhaps everyone will enjoy sharing Escape Trailer-ing stories with the laughter as you describe.

Hope you can expand your Escape Trailer family soon.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #92

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Over on the Eclipse facebook page there is discussion about a very similar solar panel failure in high winds. No pictures yet but owner describes front panel bent up into a pyramid shape. I think they said it was a 21. A little concerned as we have ordered 2 panels on our 5.0 due in late July. If this is the same sort of failure, it would seem to indicate that ETI has not yet addressed this weakness in the panel frame.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #93

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
Over on the Eclipse facebook page there is discussion about a very similar solar panel failure in high winds. No pictures yet but owner describes front panel bent up into a pyramid shape. I think they said it was a 21. A little concerned as we have ordered 2 panels on our 5.0 due in late July. If this is the same sort of failure, it would seem to indicate that ETI has not yet addressed this weakness in the panel frame.
Definitely an issue with how that front panel is mounted on the 21 and/or the strength of the unsupported panel frame across the trailer. GoPower install instructions state that panels should be 3' back from the front of trailers. Personally I think you will be fine on the 5.0 if the front panel is mounted like shown in this picture. It is mounted back much further and tucked behind the escape hatch. It won't experience the same forces as the panel on front of a 21.
Attached Thumbnails
5.0 dual solar.jpg   gopower panel mounting.JPG  
Old 04-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #94

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Over on the Eclipse facebook page

A search of Eclipse on FB turned up a zillion Eclipse pages. Can you provide an URL please?
Old 04-15-2021, 02:20 PM   #95

Here's a pic from the FB post.

Easiest way to find the post is to go to the Escape Travel Trailers group and choose Recent Posts (instead of New Activity).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/913917998727810
Attached Thumbnails
Escape panel.jpg  
Old 04-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #96

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
'Tis a private group.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #97

Ah well...at least you can see the photo. This was a new 21NE.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:13 PM   #98

Quote:
Here's a pic from the FB post.

Easiest way to find the post is to go to the Escape Travel Trailers group and choose Recent Posts (instead of New Activity)...
Thanks, but the reality of Facebook is that "recent posts" will quickly become a useless way to find a particular post... like telling people to look in this forum under "New Posts". In general, Facebook is a terrible tool for sharing lasting information; that image will forever be easier to find here in this EscapeForum thread than in Facebook.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #99

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Holy smokes! Well, so - guessing that powerful wind came from behind when parked instead of from the front when on the highway.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #100

Quote:
Thanks, but the reality of Facebook is that "recent posts" will quickly become a useless way to find a particular post... like telling people to look in this forum under "New Posts". In general, Facebook is a terrible tool for sharing lasting information; that image will forever be easier to find here in this EscapeForum thread than in Facebook.
There are folks that use the Escape FB page exclusively and there are folks who never set foot there. I find lots of helpful information in both communities. Typically news travels faster over there, but for sure this forum is a better archive. To each their own. I took the time to share this recent event here because I knew some folks would never hear about it otherwise. Likewise, someone took the time over there to share a link to the event that was documented here. Both of these communities have their benefits and provide value to their followers.

I use Recent Posts on FB to get to a discussion I know is happening. Likewise, I use New Posts over here because I want to see what's new. If I want to search this forum for an older topic, I go out to Google to search this forum, I get more precise hits that way. We all adapt in a way that works best for our own internal wiring.

Tags
failure, gopower, solar panel