Gray Tank Drainage - New Escape 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
This would fix that problem.
Hi: wetzk... OUCH!!!
On another front... 1/2 of one of those will work to wedge open the dinette egress window. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I seriously doubt that increasing the diameter of the gray tank drain line will make any difference. If I recall correctly, that mod on the Casita resulted in cutting the larger line into the side of the gray tank which had the effect of lowering the bottom of the drain line relative to the bottom of the tank.....maybe that would be an advantage here, but way too much trouble for me to want to mess with. The relatively low flow is so far below anything that would result in friction losses due to small diameters as to be un-measurable. I've done these calculations a gazillion times throughout my career. As it is, only a very small portion of the gray drain has liquid draining along the bottom of the pipe. Making the pipe bigger doesn't change that. What we have here is simply not much vertical drop (or head) to generate higher flows like we get from the black water tank that sits higher.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #23

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Making the pipe bigger doesn't change that. What we have here is simply not much vertical drop (or head) to generate higher flows like we get from the black water tank that sits higher.
I agree, you can make the outlet piping a straight 6 inch line if you like but as Parker said, lack of head is the real culprit. That's why tilting trailer helps as it slightly increases head. Now the bowed tank center does not help either.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I'm still wincing at Alf's dribbling problem and wetzk' solution

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #25

I know....it is a bit distracting.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
If I recall correctly, that mod on the Casita resulted in cutting the larger line into the side of the gray tank which had the effect of lowering the bottom of the drain line relative to the bottom of the tank.
The drain on the Casita grey tank is a 2" pipe connection - Casita inserted a 1 1/2" pipe into it restricting the flow. Also, they ran the piping uphill to the sewer drain connection reducing the hydraulic head.

The Escape 21' has some of the same problems. The drain from the grey tank enters the sewer drain at about 1/3 height in the tank. (see attachment) That means that 1/3 of the grey tank will not drain unless the trailer is tilted ( and it would have to be tilted a LOT) Also, even though the drain connection on the grey tank is a 1 1/2" threaded connection, using 2" pipe will increase the initial flow rate and reduce the drain times.

The second picture show the valves/piping I intend to install on my Escape. The grey tank connection to the sewer drain will be at the bottom of the piping giving it the max head that I can get reasonably and allowing more of the tank to drain. The flex connection on the 3" side will allow me to straighten the pipe run so that the valves are only as low as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape-21'-drain.jpg   Escape-Drain-2.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017, 01:31 PM   #27

Okay, makes perfect sense in terms of getting everything connected as low as possible on the gray tank (and keeping it that low as much as possible).
Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Using an Anderson leveler

We find it is quick and easy to tilt the trailer using an Anderson leveler at the dump station. This way the gray tank drains in relative short order.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We find it is quick and easy to tilt the trailer using an Anderson leveler at the dump station. This way the gray tank drains in relative short order.
That's an excellent idea. Since the tank outlet isn't on the bottom of the gray tank but on the side near the bottom, that will help alot.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #30

I finally got around to installing the "fast" grey mod on my 21'.

I cut off the 1 1/2" pipe coming out of the grey tank leaving just enough to fit into a 1 1/2" to 2" adapter. (see pic below) When I cut off the pipe, I found about a 1/4" of glue collected at the bottom of the pipe creating a water dam - as if the drainage wasn't bad enough already! I got out a 1 1/2" hole saw, ran it up and down the hole a few times to get rid of the excess glue and all is good now.

Notice that the bottom of the drain fitting is now even with the ground connection for the tank monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Grey tank outlet.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #31

Next I installed the 2" pipe with street 90 and the valterra assembly. Notice that the 2" pipe slopes downward and is below the bottom of the grey tank.
Attached Thumbnails
2 inch pipe to valterra assembly.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #32

Here is a pic of the finished drain assembly. I used a 3" rubber coupling to straighten out the black drain pipe connection to the black valve and allow the black and grey valve inlets to be level.
Attached Thumbnails
Completed drain.jpg   Valves level.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #33

Why was this necessary?

The first pic show the old assembly. Notice the long line showing the slope of the grey connection to the valves - the connection goes up hill. The two short lines indicate how much of the grey tank would not drain when parked level.

The second pic show the new drain assembly. The grey tank now drains at a downward slope and the outlet is slightly below the bottom of the grey tank. This is as good as I can make it and it drains a LOT better!
Attached Thumbnails
Escape-21'-drain with lines.jpg   Completed drains.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Does a 19’ unit have the same problems?
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
Each Escape trailer is handcrafted and unique in it's own way. I have looked at other 21' that didn't have the upward slope that my drain had. So I would say that you would have to look at your 19' when you get it and decide.

The 2" pipe, offset valve inlet, and 3 x 3 valve assembly does improve the drainage but it may not be worth the effort for some.

Why did I do it? (read my signature)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
On my 19 the slow draining issue isn't caused by the pipe slope or the diameter. It's caused by the fact that the drain is side mounted rather than bottom mounted. Bottom mounted would drain much more quickly but road clearance would be an issue.

The problem with the side drain is that the cross-sectional area of the drain decreases once the fluid level reaches the mid-point ( x ) of the drain. After that the rate slows to an increasing agonizing level. We usually say "good enough" at some point or, if we want a really empty tank, like maybe for storage, we use blocks to tilt the tank.

My drain looks a little different from other classic 19's because I retrofitted a front pull grey tank drain.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
drain_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Here is a pic of the finished drain assembly. I used a 3" rubber coupling to straighten out the black drain pipe connection to the black valve and allow the black and grey valve inlets to be level.
Nice work. I wonder if you had the spray foam how difficult the job would have been and would you have been able to diagnose the issue as easily?
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I wonder if you had the spray foam how difficult the job would have been and would you have been able to diagnose the issue as easily?
I don't know as I have not seen a 21' with spray foam - not many people order the option here in Texas. As far as difficulty doing the mod with foam, you could use the pics I posted to find out where to cut the piping through the foam and install the upgrade plumbing. It would be messy but doable.

As to the troubleshooting - since all the 21' are pretty much piped the same, all the 21's are going to have most of the issues my trailer had if not all of them. All the 21's will have 1 1/2" piping coming out of the grey tank and will not have a downward slope to the drain. The 3" x 1 1/2" ell valves has the grey tank piping coming into the 1 1/2" valve in the center - the 3" x 3" ell valves with the 3" to 2" offset has the piping coming into the bottom of the valve and allows a slope from the grey to the drain without lowering the height of the ell valve assembly.

So foam or not, if you are unhappy with how long it takes for the grey to drain, the mod is something to consider. The factory drain system works - just not that well.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #39

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
We have an older '19 with a slow gray drain. I believe it is 1 1/2" piping. It comes straight into the 3" black drain at the 3" elbow. The kind with the awkward side pull valve. But it is a straight shot from the drain cap to the gray tank. I like this.

The gray tank drains slowly. As such it doesn't flush the tank well when emptied, even when full. So it tends to get a build up of soap and kitchen scraps. I found this can mess with our see-level tank monitor.

I built, since I couldn't find one to buy, an angled squirty head that fits on the end of a 1/2" PVC pipe. The other end of the 6' pipe had a fitting for a garden hose. I can open the gray tank drain valve and push the pipe/washer through into the gray tank. Turn on the water and move it around awhile. No cap on the drain, since the washer pipe goes though there, so all the water put in comes right back out. It brings with it a lot of the soap scum and crud trapped in the tank. I've done this once and it straightened out he see-level sensor. A mess but solved my problem.

So, I'll leave the gray water piping, with its awkward valve, so I can clean the tank out. If there are elbows in the line a cleaner/pipe can't reach the tank.

One reason to keep the original piping.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
We have an older '19 with a slow gray drain. I believe it is 1 1/2" piping. It comes straight into the 3" black drain at the 3" elbow. The kind with the awkward side pull valve. But it is a straight shot from the drain cap to the gray tank. I like this.
I had to get a pic to get it into my head. (below) That would make clean out a lot easier!

I guess I could have obtained the same results if I had used a tee with a cap instead of a 90 for the grey pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Valterra T68.jpg