Heat pads and spray foam ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Heat pads and spray foam ?

I working on my 19 build sheet and deciding on these options

I do some camping with day temps just above freezing and might get a few night 20 degrees.

I thinking the foam with out heat pads

Years ago escape used to keep the fresh tank under the bed with all water lines inside. Now it looks like the tank is underneath and on the 19' they run water lines under from the bath ti kitchen.

On a 19 what Do I have to worry about freezing on a cold night.
I am sure the tanks would not be a problem even if they started to freeze as long as there 1/2 full i sure they would not freeze solid.

What concerns me is I assume the shower trap is exposed ,water lines,black and grey plumbing ,and dump valve
Does the spray foam cover all these things?
I assume the heat pads would only heat the tanks ?
Is there anything else under there that is subject to freezing.
what would be the first thing to freeze solid( i assume the hot water line)

how cold have you camped in a escape?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We have 4-5 nights at 15 F, and another 25 or so under 32F. We've have no problem with freezing. We purchased the pads because we mainly camp shoulder seasons, but have yet to use them. Would we buy them again? Yes, unless we had to sacrafice something we wanted more.

If we were planning to spend a lot of time camping at 0F or below we'd have kept our 25' Bigfoot.

We also have the under-floor foam and would get that before the pads. It takes a lot to freeze a mass of water, but nothing to freeze a thin film. We watch lakes freeze every year in Minnesota.

It's only money and will burn where I'm going anyway!

Perry
Old 12-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The foam covers the entire under surface from rail to tail, front to rear. The foam also covers your "J" traps. All the water lines are inside in an E19 model. You may want to install cut off valves on exterior showers to isolate them and drain in the winter. The 12v heat pads for the fresh and grey tanks use a lot of power and you would need hookups to use them. I dropped that option after Escape #1. The extra insulation, foam underneath, thermal windows all will make your trailer useable down to single digits, as they is the way we have used the Escape in the wintertime. We do get electric hookup and use an auxiliary electric heater with our propane furnace. We keep the inside around 60-65 when it is 5 degrees outside with out any trouble.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree with what has been said. You really don't need them in most cases as the Escape is not a four season trailer. Like Perry, we do most of our traveling in the shoulder seasons and got them to give us options/flexibility. This is one option that if I had to do it again I don't know if I would included. It is only money and doesn't add much weight, but heating the inside and the foam probably solve the problem.

I would be interested in some radiant heated floors though. Even with the foam, the floor can get chilly!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #5

I put some carpet remnants down in the winter time, cost me like $20 for 4x8 piece which I cut down to size, floors are now warmer.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, we don't have bare floor either, but its still not warm.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The foam covers the entire under surface from rail to tail, front to rear. The foam also covers your "J" traps. All the water lines are inside in an E19 model. You may want to install cut off valves on exterior showers to isolate them and drain in the winter. The 12v heat pads for the fresh and grey tanks use a lot of power and you would need hookups to use them. I dropped that option after Escape #1. The extra insulation, foam underneath, thermal windows all will make your trailer useable down to single digits, as they is the way we have used the Escape in the wintertime. We do get electric hookup and use an auxiliary electric heater with our propane furnace. We keep the inside around 60-65 when it is 5 degrees outside with out any trouble.

That's good news on water lines. I had seen a photo of them underneath ,but that must have been a different model . I assume they run under the bed to get to kitchen? how many traps are exposed underneath? does the shower Drain into a trap or right into grey tank? if it is a trap is that removable? The reason I ask in my casita once did a very cold weather trip . I flushed toilet with rv antifreeze. I removed rubber trap under shower so it would drain into bucket instead of grey tank. I heated water on stove for shower. we carried water and left water tank and water heater empty . Not the best cold weather set up but would work for a few days.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #8

Just pour some anti freeze down the shower and sink drains and you should be fine.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 17A
We got the heat strip and undercoat after we froze our fresh water tank one night when it was 10 degrees (F) overnight. Been down to 26 since, no problem. Worth noting: you really can't use the heat strips unless you have external power.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have the foam and it helps keeping trailer warmer and I think helps with whatever piping is under the trailer . No heat strips though . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have the foam and it helps keeping trailer warmer and I think helps with whatever piping is under the trailer . No heat strips though . Pat
All your fresh water piping is inside with the E19, not so with the E21.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All your fresh water piping is inside with the E19, not so with the E21.
I know that Jim . Especially our dump valves are now more exposed since I fixed them , they are now more in the open . I did have to cut foam away , which was very easy to do .Pat
I like the fact other items are protected too.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I got the heat pads along with sprayfoam and was glad I did. I've seen down to a 2F low overnight with nothing frozen (well, partly thanks to a bit of antifreeze in the black/gray tanks to protect the dump valves). I do have a big aftermarket battery bank, though.

I'm up-sizing to a Bigfoot 25, and actually wish it had electric heating pads as well.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote