Heaters - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Trailerless
Heaters

Potential purchaser of 17b or 19 wants to know from current owners if Escape heaters are effective as ducted heating systems.
Up2speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You need to explain what you mean by ducted heating system.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Heaters

If you mean can the output from the Escape furnace be channeled to areas with ducting, then I doubt it. I don’t believe any of the Escapes have ducted heating either.
We were having our 2015 Escape 21 furnace repaired at a local RV repair shop and the owner said he was surprised how quiet it was. He attributed this to the furnace not having a more powerful fan required to force air through ducting. I can say that our furnace blows air to both ends of our Escape and yet doesn’t wake us at night, so for direct output it has plenty of power.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2speed4 View Post
Potential purchaser of 17b or 19 wants to know from current owners if Escape heaters are effective as ducted heating systems.

Do you mean "are as effective as"?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Trailerless
Sorry for confusing everyone. Let me restate the question: Does the heater in Escapes effectively heat the trailer evenly?
Up2speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Yes, we do find that the furnace heats the whole space nice and evenly. It is such a small space compared to even a small house that it’s really not much space to heat up and only takes a few minutes to do so, even if the trailer starts out pretty cold.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have no complaints about my furnace
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I like how quiet my furnace is too …. but then my hearing isn't the best. Noticed also that my wood working power tools are getting quieter too …. sometimes additional growth rings can bring unexpected advantages.

Tom
Old 07-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I find the furnace to work just fine. However, when I'm hooked up to power I use one of two different electrical heaters. One is a baseboard style that I can leave on at night as it has a temperature thermostat on it that will click on and off, depending on what I have it set to. It sits on the floor and goes on the bed when in transit. Granted, it does get in the way (especially when giving tours of the trailer to multiple people at the same time). It's one I grabbed from the house and came from Lowe's or Home Depot years ago.

The other is a small one I set on the kitchen counter. I tend to use it when I get out of the shower and want some heat blowing directly on me. It doesn't have an automatic on/off, depending on the temperature.

I figure if I'm paying for the electrical hookup, why should I also pay for propane at the same time. (It's the same reasoning I use for my electric cooktop.)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Heater works great on our 5.0TA. The interior of any Escape I don't believe is large enough to need a ducted system. We carry a small ceramic cube heater that we have used when we have hookups. It heats up the camper in no time and doesn't use any propane.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Heater works great on our 5.0TA. The interior of any Escape I don't believe is large enough to need a ducted system. We carry a small ceramic cube heater that we have used when we have hookups. It heats up the camper in no time and doesn't use any propane.
I agree. The interior is too small to need ducting. However, I have been looking at maybe adding a duct on the side running through the wall into the bathroom with a louvered cover, in order to keep the bathroom toasty for those middle of the night trips.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I agree. The interior is too small to need ducting. However, I have been looking at maybe adding a duct on the side running through the wall into the bathroom with a louvered cover, in order to keep the bathroom toasty for those middle of the night trips.
We usually keep it pretty cool at night, so even with an added duct wouldn't do us much good
Old 07-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
We usually keep it pretty cool at night, so even with an added duct wouldn't do us much good
That's true, but at least the bathroom would be at the same temp as the cabin. I suppose the wiser thing to do is just prop the bathroom door open at night, but for some reason we haven't.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2speed4 View Post
The gas heater in our 21 works great and heats up the inside very quickly. I must say that of the 4 campers that we have owned, this one is the quietest. That being said, I did install this 1000 watt Boron heater in the 45 of the bed for when we have hookups.Click image for larger version

Name:	4A4DA775-B582-4419-891D-058599192CCB.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	33068 it is very quiet and works well down to about 30 degrees. If it’s very cold when we first get in the trailer we just flip on the propane heater for a little bit to bring things up to temperature, than this little heater takes over for the rest of the night. Added bonus- nothing to trip over.
Cost me under $100 dollars to install, and about 3 hrs or so.https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...Qwg8INA&adurl=
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
The gas heater in our 21 works great and heats up the inside very quickly. I must say that of the 4 campers that we have owned, this one is the quietest. That being said, I did install this 1000 watt Boron heater in the 45 of the bed for when we have hookups.Attachment 33068 it is very quiet and works well down to about 30 degrees. If it’s very cold when we first get in the trailer we just flip on the propane heater for a little bit to bring things up to temperature, than this little heater takes over for the rest of the night. Added bonus- nothing to trip over.
Cost me under $100 dollars to install, and about 3 hrs or so.https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...Qwg8INA&adurl=
We have the Broan mounted on the 45. We went through several iterations for control, starting with a timer, then a line voltage thermostat, and finally a separate relay with a low voltage thermostat. The last adjustment was slightly bending the louvers to shoot the heat straight out rather than down toward the floor. The separate thermostat is hugely more functional at maintaining a comfortable temperature. Care should be taken to not have bed covers dangling in front of the heater. In the attached link concern was expressed about having the heater too low per instructions. The vinyl floor did get very slightly warm, so I made the recent adjustment to the louvers. The relay used has its own supply for the low voltage thermostat making it a very easy install. See attached:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ater-8150.html

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I am very impressed so far in how quiet the heater is and the heat seemed pretty even to us. In our previous RV we had a furnace with two ducts and it heated the space pretty well also but was much louder when operating.

I almost had ETI run wiring for a wall mount or kickspace electric heater but decided against it in the end and we just brought a small electric heater with us for when we are hooked up to power (mind you most RV parks prohibit electric heaters these days).

I can say that at this point I prefer the escape furnace over the electric heater and I wouldn't have said that in my last RV.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:42 AM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've yet to run into a campground that won't allow electric heaters, although I can't say I ask. I'm not traveled that far north either.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:36 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've yet to run into a campground that won't allow electric heaters, although I can't say I ask. I'm not traveled that far north either.
Just happened upon this rule the other day when looking at Crown Point Camping Area in VT. Not sure how they would enforce it. I think overall this is probably a rare restriction.

“No electric heaters. We discourage the use of air conditioners and assume no liability for damage due to inadequate voltage.”
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #19

🤔 Can not use an electric heater? Never saw that anywhere.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have seen campgrounds that because of limited electrical service did not allow electric heaters , air conditioners and electric appliances . They had one 20 amp circuit feeding four
trailer sites . ( They also did not allow generators )
We were also at a State Park in the UP of Michigan where someone with a fancy rig like an Escape started their A/C and took out the power to half the campgrounds .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote