Help needed with dead pump - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Help needed with dead pump

Hi all,

We are out in our Escape for our first fun (not work) trip and unfortunately are having trouble with a few things, some of which we know will require a trip to the RV service department, but one of which is a more pressing (read annoying) problem ... our pump is working essentially when it feels like it, which increasingly is not often. It seems now to be mainly dead. Because it is working off and on I'm thinking it is not a fuse, though frankly we are not sure where the fuse would even be to check?

Can you all help us with troubleshooting? We are new to all this and aren't sure if we are just missing something obvious. I did, for what it's worth, turn the main electric on and off to "reset" things; this did nothing.

We plan to try to call Reace in the morning but because of the time difference we were thinking some of you might have ideas more quickly.

Yes, our water tank has water . It reads 3/4 full.

Thanks, all.
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Help needed with dead pump

Since you're new to this, I have to ask a dumb question. Are you hooked to city water? If you are, you aren't supposed to use the pump. I'm guessing that you could damage the pump if you do. Or it could just be a loose wire.

Sorry, but that's all I can offer.

baglo
Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #3

Nope. Boondocking. With no other water right now other than what's in the tank, which is why we are not happy with our grumpy pump. Not sure which wires to check down yonder either.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Sorry to hear of the difficulty. Have you located the water pump? Mine is under the drivers' side bench (bed) and the wires run from that. However, since it is so late for you now, you might as well get a good nights rest .
Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: medora...With our water system the pump, when switched on, runs for a few seconds then shuts off. The red indicator light stays on. When running the tap the pump runs on/off as required. Sometimes it will run when I turn over in bed as well, and that makes me "grumpy" in the night.
Make sure your bypass valves are turned on so the hot water tank fills too. Hope this helps. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

How old is your pump.? Are your batteries fully charged.? Lift the seat and check for loose wires. It could be a pressure sensor that turns the pump off when the tap is closed.
1, turn off the pump switch 2, open taps now turn on pump switch and the pump may come on.
Also try with the pump on and a tap open... a few (gentle) taps with a soft hammer or something similar.. on the pump housing. It could even be the on / off switch it's self.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

E,
It is possible that there is air in the line and it could clear itself up. As someone else already said, the pressure sensor could be going bad. Or if the the pump motor is built like car starter motors - it might have a bad spot on the rotor, meaning if it stops at the bad spot it will not start. When it doesn’t start, try tapping on it. Or WITH PUMP SWITCH OFF see if you can use something to turn the plastic cooling vanes you can see inside the opening on the motor. Then try turning it on and see if it starts.

Hope for the air in the line - that should clear itself up as you run more water.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #8

All, thanks so much for jumping in to help. So appreciated! In short, we do know when it's working that the pump motor only goes on when we hit the faucet and call for water. In this case the motor just doesn't go on period. It's as if the pump was turned off ... but it isn't (red light is indeed on). We are not fully charged but probably at about 80% ... should be plenty for the pump. We have also gotten to know the gasping and, um, gaseous noises that indicate air in the line. What happens in this case is silence ... nada. It does work intermittently, so we will get in there this morning and check wires, and give your suggestion a whirl too, Eric ... if we're lucky something just shook loose.

Our Escape (and pump) are brand new btw ... this is only our second trip.

We are also having fridge problems, which I know will require a trip to the RV service dept ... Will post about these when we get home as I am curious if anyone else has had similar issues.

Despite these inconveniences, we LOVE this thing. Let my minor complaints not fool you

Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

Have you had an opportunity to call the factory? Hopefully, it is something simple.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

We are in touch with Reace ... totally responsive as usual. No clue what's up yet though ... This may have to be fixed when we are back home next week ...
Old 06-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #11

For those following the saga -- we now realize the pump is also leaking whenever it goes on. Reace is sending a new one to see if that does the trick.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #12

I'm afraid to ask how that was discovered. Glad help is on its way. Sorry for your troubles. Keep us posted. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #13

Here's how the story ends ...

The pump was indeed a lemon. Not only did it run intermittently but eventually, it also started leaking. Reace had a new pump sent and we had to take it in for the swap. So far, so good, though we have yet to really put it to the test yet. Soon, hopefully.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post

Our Escape (and pump) are brand new btw ... this is only our second trip.

We are also having fridge problems, which I know will require a trip to the RV service dept ... Will post about these when we get home as I am curious if anyone else has had similar issues.
Despite these inconveniences, we LOVE this thing.
Medora, these are not "minor complaints". You just bought your Escape and these things should work. No need to apologize for two major frustrations fresh from the factory.
blugene is offline   Reply With Quote