Help us get our hot water pilot lit! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2021, 06:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Help us get our hot water pilot lit!

We have a 2005 17b and are trying to light the Pilot for the hot water heater. We have to light it manually from the outside. We haven’t done this yet and don’t have our manual with us.

We don’t know where the Pilot light is and what the reset button is.

Can anyone help us?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
4F1819EE-E69B-44DE-A8B8-2620255CD246a.jpg  
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I seem to remember that one has to hold down that button for a while to let the gas starting to flow then let it up and stick the lighter in by the tube.
I could be wrong but give it a try anyway.
Allan.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Lighting the pilot

First, turn the black knob counterclockwise to the pilot position. Then push and hold the red button while lighting the pilot. You have to hold the button in for possibly 30 seconds while the pilot flame heats the thermocouple. After releasing the button the pilot should stay lit.
Then turn the black knob again counterclockwise to the on position and the burner should light as long as the burner orifice is clean and the burner tube is clear of obstructions like cobwebs.
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:22 PM   #4

Fill the tank

I forgot something! Make sure the hot water tank is full of water before you light the burner. Open the pressure relief valve for a second or two and water should come out if the tank is full.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:43 PM   #5

Thank you! If it isn’t full how do I make sure it is? I am assuming it is because I recently sanitized the water tank and lines including the hot water (I didn’t set it to bypass).
Old 06-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
As long as you’re not on bypass you can open your hot water side in the sink and if it runs pressurized water with the pump on, you’ve got water in the heater tank. Flipping the pressure relief valve will bleed off any trapped air and then spit water. Then you flip it closed again. You’ll enjoy the hot water at least we do.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #7

We are going to try this tomorrow. It’s funny how each new thing we learn seems like a big deal at first. We are going to try it in the morning with fresh minds!
Old 06-19-2021, 11:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Sounds like Starbrightsteve nailed it but bear in mind there are also directions to light printed right on the appliance. Upper right of the photo you shared.
Attached Thumbnails
E727AA97-3087-4789-8875-126B9EF580E3.jpg  
Old 06-20-2021, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Sounds like Starbrightsteve nailed it but bear in mind there are also directions to light printed right on the appliance. Upper right of the photo you shared.
Yes, thank you. I didn’t know where the reset button was mostly. It sounds like it’s the little red button. I also wasn’t exactly sure where to put the lighter! Even though it seemed like there was only one possibility- I wanted to make sure.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:04 AM   #10

Lighting the pilot

I can’t see the spot to light the pilot. Im sure it is below/ behind the plate with the detailed lighting directions. Just follow that skinny tube below the burner tube. The little tube leads to the pilot and the thermocouple.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #11

Still confused. Morning and trying to figure it out. I think the reset is pressing down on the black - the red circle doesn’t press. We mainly can’t figure out where to light. We tried lighting the part I think is the Pilot.
Attached Thumbnails
1E90AB83-C400-4710-B40D-8DD986BD7E2B.jpg  
Old 06-20-2021, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
Still confused. Morning and trying to figure it out. I think the reset is pressing down on the black - the red circle doesn’t press. We mainly can’t figure out where to light. We tried lighting the part I think is the Pilot.
No. Don't light it there! I'll attach the section of the manual that shows you where to light it. It's underneath the instruction panel back where the piping heads in towards the trailer. Also you don't push the red thing. You simply push down and hold the black knob "A" at the top once it is in the pilot position. Hold it down, put a lighter where it says to light pilot and continue to hold black knob "A" down until the thermocouple gets hot and then release. Pilot should be lit. Then you can move the black knob to the ON position which should light the water heater burner. Then you use adjustment "B" to fine tune your water temperature. LOW is supposedly factory set at 120F. I would definitely start there as much hotter can be dangerous.

See page 7 for full instructions...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1zJ9HOhsrL.pdf

[By the way...very early Suburban SW6P water heaters DID have a separate "reset" button that was held down to light the water heater. That is probably why there is a little bit of confusion on this particular model. This reset button was red and up next to the gas control knob. You have a newer version. It doesn't help that the directions on the actual water heater read as if they are for the older model!]
Attached Thumbnails
pilot.JPG   SW6P.jpg  
Old 06-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
No. Don't light it there! I'll attach the section of the manual that shows you where to light it. It's underneath the instruction panel back where the piping heads in towards the trailer. Also you don't push the red button. You simply push down and hold the black knob "A" at the top once it is in the pilot position. Hold it down, put a lighter where it says to light pilot and continue to hold black knob "A" down until the thermocouple gets hot and then release. Pilot should be lit. Then you can move the black knob to the ON position which should light the water heater burner. Then you use adjustment "B" to fine tune your water temperature. LOW is supposedly factory set at 120F. I would definitely start there as much hotter can be dangerous.

See page 7 for full instructions...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1zJ9HOhsrL.pdf

[By the way...very early Suburban SW6P water heaters did have a separate "reset" button that was held down to light the water heater. That is probably why there is a little bit of confusion on this particular model). This reset button was red and up to next to the gas control knob.]
Thank you! We got it!! Those instructions/visual are worn away.
Attached Thumbnails
15F8B627-42B7-4323-AD44-86D94A927F05.jpg  
Old 06-20-2021, 01:03 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Great reason for new purchasers to take a picture of those instructions for posterity sake.....
Old 06-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
Thank you! We got it!! Those instructions/visual are worn away.
Happy to help!