Honda Companion Generator Only - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2024, 07:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape E-19 - Dual Solar, Dual Lithium
Honda Companion Generator Only

Pardon me if this has been answered, but I did a lot of searches and could not find the answer.

I am looking at the Honda EU2200i and only the Companion version has a 30 amp plug. I cannot find anything that says this cannot operate as a standalone unit. I realize that these are 15 amp generators. The picture of the Companion unit says "During Parallel Operation" over the 30a and 20a plugs, so maybe the outlet is useless when running standalone.

From what I have read here the 2200i will run the Coleman A/C with soft-start using an adapter plug, provided that you budget your load.

My question is if I buy only one, which should I buy the 2200i or the 2200i Companion.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Note that the 30-amp 'twist lock' plug on the Companion is not the same as your 30-amp RV cord plug (an adaptor between the two is required). The 2200i user manual makes it clear that the 30A receptacle on the companion will not deliver more than 1.8kw unless running in the 2-generator parallel mode.

Given that an adaptor is required, IMO you're just as well-off starting with the 'non-companion' version and using an adaptor to plug your RV cord into the 20A receptacle on that (along with a neutral-bonding plug in the other receptacle). The 20A male>30A female RV adaptor will have utility for other-than-generator situations.

IF you ever want to have 30A power, buy the Companion version with appropriate '30A twist lock > 30A RV adaptor' at that time.

Just for your consideration.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:06 AM   #3

thanks
Old 05-08-2024, 08:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
If your really need ac, the new fuel injected 3200i is light and quiet. Pricy though.
The 3000i is heavier and has a carb but will run ac no problem still pricy.
Of course there are much cheaper alternatives including dual fuel from Champion models.
For the long haul it’s hard to beat Honda.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 09:07 AM   #5

Planning on a propane conversion

We tow with an Explorer so I plan on a propane conversion for the generator so I can haul it inside the tow vehicle without worrying about gasoline.

I am not sure how much we will need A/C but want to boondock as much as possible. Also, considering my age and the frequency of need, I am look at the Harbor Freight Predator. Not a Honda but ....