Hot Water Heater Anode Question... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
factory by pass is installed by Escape, but you may want to ask reace to install the E-Z winterizing valve that lets your pump suck in your antifreeze conveniently.
Thanks for the info Jim.

Already have your "T" valve and hose on my build sheet! 8)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
...once you get started there are a lot of options available...
That's a good thought, though I may put off the work until after winterizing. The forecast looks good right now, but we're at the point of the year where we could get a solid freeze any time and I don't want to get caught with water in the pipes.

(spent the afternoon rigging up a hoist so I can lift my kayaks into the ceiling of my garage, and all the up-and-down on the ladder has me thinking I'm not ready to tackle a job that will have me spending lots of time crouched down or on my knees...)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
If you're winterized, then your trailer's water system is ready to dry camp. Bring in your own water supply (beer etc.) get a good fire going, turn on the furnace, play some music and enjoy your self.
If your rig is seasoned for your driveway or storage yard it should be seasoned good enough for a camp site.
Those pit toilets can get a bit breezy tho!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I personally think it's a good idea to replace your anode and flush your hot water heater annually. After 14 months, mine was probably at the 25-30% stage above, but the amount of crud on the bottom of the tank was pretty substantial. Some of it had already reached the galley faucet and diminished the flow by clogging the faucet filter. Much will depend on the condition of the water you use, but at $12 to buy a new anode, for me it's good preventive maintenance.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I believe it depends on the water in your area. My trailer is a 2008 and has the original anode. From the look of it last year, I don't expect to have to change it yet.
What does your flushing procedure entail?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I use a wand with a curved end intended for that purpose. Bought it when I had a pop-up, and I believe Escape gave me another as part of the starter kit. Basically, you run water into the tank through the anode port until the chunks stop flowing out. The chunks are the pieces of the anode that have corroded off. My chemistry is too old to hazard a guess about their composition, though!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is one Camco 11691 RV Water Heater Tank Rinser : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
While we are on the subject of hot water maintenance, you may want to replace your cheapo/plastic Suburban hot water heater door latch with a metal one. I had one fail on our last trailer while in the Smokey Mountains. They are inexpensive and easily to find at most RV suppliers.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
factory by pass is installed by Escape, but you may want to ask reace to install the E-Z winterizing valve that lets your pump suck in your antifreeze conveniently.
I am curious as to why you would want to do this, as it really is redundant and not needed if you use the low point drain.

Just yesterday I winterized the 17' Bigfoot we bought my mom this year, and realized how great it is with my Escape to not have to go to the trouble of pumping the pink antifreeze through the lines. The low point drain is a much better, and easier, way of doing things.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #30

Jim,
It is like having a belt and also a pair of suspenders, back up sometimes comes in handy!!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #31

There's more to it than just a back up, at least for recent builds. Quoting an email from Tammy received a few weeks ago:

"We have updated the winterizing process for your Escape Travel Trailer due to a change in the toilet valve. As we are unsure of when this valve was changed by Thetford we are recommending all of our customer use the method shown in the attached document regardless of the year of your trailer.

Unfortunately, winterizing via the low point drain is no longer effective.

Please follow one of the methods shown in the attached instructions."

I guess if your trailer was built well before the change in question you can go ahead with using the low point drain. But I'll be using the anti-freeze method this year. (Actually, I plan to try a mix of low point drain followed by anti-freeze.)

Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't like the sound of that, but you do have to do what is necessary. I wonder what it is about the new valve. Maybe some anti-siphoning added to it? Otherwise, the very simple low point drain is the cat's meow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post

That's odd. The instructions on the website and the instructions in the book Tammy gave me when picking up our 2013 5.0 in late August include the procedure for the low point drain method and specifically mention opening the toilet valve first.

We're not in deep freeze country so I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and use the low point drain method. I hate anti-freeze almost as much as I hate air conditioners

Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #34

I've noticed in the past that Escape isn't very good about having up-to-date information on their website. The email arrived August 27th, so it's possible that your book was printed before the change in procedure.

I assume others also received this email. I'd be curious to know who received it and who didn't (and why).

And to correct what I said earlier: the email was signed by Reace, not Tammy.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #35

I can't place my finger on the new instructions, anyone have a link, please?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #36

It's a .docx file, which the system won't let me attach to a post. Any suggestions on how/where I could place it for public consumption?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
This was posted on a previous thread (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...mail-2685.html), but here it is again from the email I received from Reace on Tue 27/08/2013:

WATER SYSTEM WINTERIZATION

When storing your recreational vehicle through periods of freezing weather, in an unheated environment, it will be necessary to winterize the water system. Damage to water system components will result if the proper winterization steps are not taken.

NOTE: Before using the compressed air method, you will need a special adapter known as a blowout plug. This plug allows compressed air to be delivered through the city water fill. This small, inexpensive adapter is available at most RV supply stores.

WINTERIZING WITH COMPRESSED AIR

Purchase 2 gallons of RV non-toxic antifreeze.

1.) Drain the fresh water tank and empty the waste water holding tanks.
2.) Turn the water heater bypass valve to the ‘bypass’ position. (This valve is located near the water heater incoming lines at the rear of the water heater.)
3.) Drain the water heater.
4.) Open all faucets, including shower head sprayer, (if applicable), toilet flushing device and any other water lines that are closed.
5.) Turn on the water pump for at least 30 seconds to clear any water from the lines.
7.) Connect an air hose with an adapter (blow out plug) to the city water fill connection.
8.) Set the pressure to no greater than 30# (pounds) and blow out the water lines until no water can be seen coming out of the fixtures and lines.
9.) Pour antifreeze down sink and shower drains to fill p-traps.

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START THE WATER HEATER OR USE THE PLUMBING SYSTEM AFTER THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN WINTERIZED. DEWINTERIZE, FLUSH AND SANITIZE THE WATER SYSTEM PRIOR TO USE.

WINTERIZING WITH ANTIFREEZE ONLY

WARNING: NEVER USE AUTOMOTIVE ANITFREEZE IN YOUR FRESH WATER SYSTEM. AUTOMOTIVE ANITFREEZE IS TOXIC AND NOT FOR USE IN POTABLE (DRINKABLE) WATER SYSTEMS.
Purchase 4-6 gallons of RV approved, non-toxic antifreeze.

1.) Drain the fresh water tank and empty the waste water holding tanks.
2.) Turn water heater bypass valve to ‘bypass’ position.
3.) Drain water heater.
4.) Fill the tank above minimum water pump operation level with the RV antifreeze. (Use of a long funnel may be helpful.)
5.) Turn the pump switch ‘ON’ and open the cold water side of all faucet fixtures. Leave the faucets open until the antifreeze, (generally pink in color), flows out of the faucets. Repeat for the hot water side.
6.) Flush toilet until antifreeze is visible inside the bowl and pour one gallon of antifreeze down the toilet to winterize the black holding tank.
7.) Pour antifreeze down sink and shower drains to fill p-traps.

DEWINTERIZING YOUR RV

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN ON THE WATER HEATER OR USE THE PLUMBING SYSTEM ONCE THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN WINTERIZED. DEWINTERIZE THE WATER SYSTEM, FLUSH AND SANITIZE PRIOR TO USE.

1.) Drain all holding tanks, (fresh water and sewage).
2.) Attach garden hose to fresh water fill and fill tank.
3.) Turn ‘ON’ pump switch and open cold water side of all faucet/shower fixtures. Leave open until the water runs clear, (no pink residue). Repeat for the hot water side.
4.) Flush toilet until clear water runs into bowl.
5.) Dump tanks again.
6.) Sanitize the water system.
7.) If a water filter has been installed, drain the lines, remove the assembly, clean and reinstall using a new filter.
8.) When ready to use the water heater, turn by-pass valve to open position to allow water to enter and fill the hot water heater tank.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
There's more to it than just a back up, at least for recent builds. Quoting an email from Tammy received a few weeks ago:

"We have updated the winterizing process for your Escape Travel Trailer due to a change in the toilet valve. As we are unsure of when this valve was changed by Thetford we are recommending all of our customer use the method shown in the attached document regardless of the year of your trailer.

Please follow one of the methods shown in the attached instructions."

I guess if your trailer was built well before the change in question you can go ahead with using the low point drain. But I'll be using the anti-freeze method this year. (Actually, I plan to try a mix of low point drain followed by anti-freeze.)
Why could you not winterize via the low point drain as before, but install one of these bypass valves in the water line that feeds the toilet.

You could then connect the antifreeze bottle to the valve with a piece of flexible tubing and feed antifreeze directly into the toilet valve via gravity. I think that others have installed a shutoff valve behind the toilet (see pic below from this thread: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ak-2691-2.html), so this bypass valve should be quite doable.

Thus there should be no need to get antifreeze in any freshwater lines other than the short section from the above valve to the toilet.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 10-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #39

Here is a video of an e-z-winterizing set up (non-Escape) but the principles are the same. Once he activates the pump, look at the amount of water still in the pipes that is being discharged, even after the low point drain was used. In addition, when you do it this way, the pink stuff flows into your drains and you take care of that issue simultaneously.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Here is a video of an e-z-winterizing set up (non-Escape) but the principles are the same. Once he activates the pump, look at the amount of water still in the pipes that is being discharged, even after the low point drain was used. In addition, when you do it this way, the pink stuff flows into your drains and you take care of that issue simultaneously.
After I used the low point drain and the air pressure blowout of the lines, I am confident that there was no water left at all in the lines (very different from the above video). Only thing I am now concerned about is as noted in Reace's email whether there was any water remaining in the toilet valve, thus my suggested approach in the above post.