Hot water humming noise - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Hot water humming noise

Our 2017 19 has the Suburban SW6D hot water heater. Today I was getting the trailer set up for the season and checked the anode, filled the fresh water tanks, flushed the system, switched the by-pass levers back to allow the tank to fill, re-flushed the lines and turned on the control panel hot water switch. The unit lights up fine. However, while the switch is on, I'm getting a high pitched hum or whine sound. If I turn the switch off, it stops right away. I've heard that noise can happen with with the electric element but ours is only propane. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe the check valve?

Thanks,
Brian
Bbawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I would look at the check valve, yes. Is the noise affected when you manipulate the valve slightly (without draining water)? If so the whine might be because it's not fully closing.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Just for proper nomenclature it sounds like we are talking about the pressure relief valve, not a check valve. I think that is a good start. Let us know if lifting up on it slightly affects the noise.

The trailer is too new to typically need a replacement already and it should be under warranty. This is the part anyhow, Suburban 161157:
http://www.amazon.com/Suburban-16115.../dp/B000BPK7HU
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And here is the pressure relief valve ( top centre ) closed and open.
Attached Thumbnails
pressure relief.jpg   pressure relief open.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #5

I tried the pressure relief valve but no luck. Attached is a video where (hopefully) you can hear it.
Attached Files
Old 04-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi Brian,
Here is what I do to find the source of 'strange noises':

Get a dowel of appropriate length ... typically 1/4" diameter or so. Take one end of dowel and place the first joint of your thumb over it and place the other side of said joint in / on ear. Other end can now touch various components and act like a stethoscope and you should be able to hear and trace the source of the wine. The use of thumb is to keep me from jamming the dowel into my eardrum.

The way my hearing is ... especially with high pitched sounds ... my ears alone would try to convince me it was the hitch ball making that noise.

Good luck! That's quite a wine!

Tom
Old 04-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #7

Trailer: None now
I suspect it may be from from the fenwal circuit board.
To check you will need to get under the bed and look on the side of the water heater towards the rear. Have someone turn the water heater on and see if the sound is coming from the small box on the side of the water heater. It has a flyback transformer in it and that sounds high enough to be from a flyback.

Edit, it could also be some weird problem involving that board and the gas valve too, but I lean more towards it being on the board itself. If it is either replacing the board should fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
suburban.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hi Brian,
Here is what I do to find the source of 'strange noises':

Get a dowel of appropriate length ... typically 1/4" diameter or so. Take one end of dowel and place the first joint of your thumb over it and place the other side of said joint in / on ear. Other end can now touch various components and act like a stethoscope and you should be able to hear and trace the source of the wine. The use of thumb is to keep me from jamming the dowel into my eardrum.

The way my hearing is ... especially with high pitched sounds ... my ears alone would try to convince me it was the hitch ball making that noise.

Good luck! That's quite a wine!

Tom
Thanks for the tip - I figured out it was the circuit board, but I'll have to try this dowel trick!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I suspect it may be from from the fenwal circuit board.
To check you will need to get under the bed and look on the side of the water heater towards the rear. Have someone turn the water heater on and see if the sound is coming from the small box on the side of the water heater. It has a flyback transformer in it and that sounds high enough to be from a flyback.

Edit, it could also be some weird problem involving that board and the gas valve too, but I lean more towards it being on the board itself. If it is either replacing the board should fix it.
You guessed right! I crawled in under the bed and sure enough the noise is coming from the circuit board (see photo). I'll contact Escape and see about getting it replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
2018-04-01 16.59.32.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbawt View Post
Thanks for the tip - I figured out it was the circuit board, but I'll have to try this dowel trick!
That's another version of the mechanics stethoscope - put a big screwdriver on a car/tractor motor and the handle in your ear. Works surprisingly well!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
That's another version of the mechanics stethoscope - put a big screwdriver on a car/tractor motor and the handle in your ear. Works surprisingly well!
Just be careful poking a metal screwdriver around electrical parts. Great for engines, but a dowel is probably safer around a water heater...
Old 04-01-2018, 08:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Little tip from my maintenance days one can still use the mechanics stethoscope in tight electrical spaces take a small diameter dowl drill aa hole down the middle just a tad larger than the probe n slide it over the probe works just fine
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Wonder what they would do on the Red Green Show?

Tom
Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
He would just get out his duct tape n keep putting it on the area till he didn’t hear it anymore
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
And it looks waaaaay koooool too.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
You guessed right! I crawled in under the bed and sure enough the noise is coming from the circuit board (see photo). I'll contact Escape and see about getting it replaced.
I need a little help with the photo orientation and the exact location of the little circuit board. From what direction is the photo taken and which way is up?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I need a little help with the photo orientation and the exact location of the little circuit board. From what direction is the photo taken and which way is up?
If it helps, here is a picture I took earlier of ours. I lifted the mattress and removed the plywood to access the area for another project.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180406_091755120_LL.jpg  
Old 04-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #18

Quote:

Which board did yours have in it? Mine had the Fenwal that had the ignitor part in it fail. I ended up buying one rather than make several trips to a repair place.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Sorry about the photo orientation...the phone showed it upright, then when I posted it came up sideways. Left is top and the board is just to the left of the tank.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If it helps, here is a picture I took earlier of ours. I lifted the mattress and removed the plywood to access the area for another project.
A much better photo than mine! Thanks.

Tags
hot water tank, hum, sound