Hot water tank temperature - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Hot water tank temperature

I've not looked at the hot water tank in one of these trailers, so I'm very clueless about them. Can you adjust the temperature like you can on your home tank? I know legally they have to be set at a certain temperature when they're installed - the home ones and I'm assuming it'll be the same for the trailer.

I'm hoping the temperature can be adjusted and cranked up like we did on our home one. I like really hot showers and the legal temperature just isn't enough. We don't have kids coming around the house so we don't have to worry about that issue. Nor will we in The Trailer.

And, if you can adjust the temperature on the tank, how hard is it to do?

Thanks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The manual says it's preset at 130, non adjustable.

This link will download the manual, at least it does on my pc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.ZGg&cad=rja
Old 08-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
With only 6 gallons, a hotter shower will be a shorter shower......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just about one or two showers will fill up your tank.....and it is either on or off, no adjustment.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
With only 6 gallons, a hotter shower will be a shorter shower......
... unless the temperature of the water in the heater can be set higher. I agree, that given a fixed temperature of the hot water, mixing in more hot / less cold means running out faster, although six gallons (even those little U.S. gallons ) should be enough for a shower.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Showers

I would concur that without waiting for a reheat on the tank, two showers is the limit before the water gets cool. Speed and showering technique need practice especially if you happen to be dealing with excessive dirt or excessive surface area! However, excessive hair is not a problem for me. I can only usually get through my rendition of Summertime once before the livin ain't so easy.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
It appears that the "legal" temperature in the state of Washington of a residential hot water tank is 120° [http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.27A.060], as opposed to the 130° preset temperature of the Suburban hot water tank used by ETI. We have frequently taken two showers within a few minutes of each other and have never run out on water. I think you'll be quite comfortable at 130° water temperature, IMHO.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks everyone. Sounds like the 130 degree setting will be just fine for me. Yay!

And I'm already practicing taking much shorter showers at home by turning off the water when it's not needed via the button on the showerhead, which is the same one we're gonna use in the trailer (EcoCamel).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:33 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
It appears that the "legal" temperature in the state of Washington of a residential hot water tank is 120° [http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=19.27A.060], as opposed to the 130° preset temperature of the Suburban hot water tank used by ETI. We have frequently taken two showers within a few minutes of each other and have never run out on water. I think you'll be quite comfortable at 130° water temperature, IMHO.
How long are the "two showers within a few minutes of each other", so you don't run out of hot water?
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #10

Showers

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
How long are the "two showers within a few minutes of each other", so you don't run out of hot water?
I'm not sure about the what gallons per minute output is on the water pump. Shower length depends upon how hot your water is adjusted to with the cold infusion, shower technique, and prescense of mind to keep at the task at hand, and not to pretend you're in a fancy hotel with unlimited hot water. I believe the most efficient technique involves starting at your head and shutting the water off as you shampoo or scrub each segment of your body and efficiently rinse each soapy part with the hose mounted shower head. The pump probably only runs about 4 minutes per shower. I could make a video but the consequences wouldn't be worth it.
Dave
Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I'm not sure about the what gallons per minute output is on the water pump. Shower length depends upon how hot your water is adjusted to with the cold infusion, shower technique, and prescense of mind to keep at the task at hand, and not to pretend you're in a fancy hotel with unlimited hot water. I believe the most efficient technique involves starting at your head and shutting the water off as you shampoo or scrub each segment of your body and efficiently rinse each soapy part with the hose mounted shower head. The pump probably only runs about 4 minutes per shower. I could make a video but the consequences wouldn't be worth it.
Dave
Dave, I can Name That Tune In 3 Minutes!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

Well now we're getting back to that surface
area thing and my old schoolmate Archimedes passed away a few years ago and I'm not sure how to best measure that
Iowa "eureka" Dave
Old 08-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave..."Thank you for your support". Always liked a "Steamy video"... but a recording of a short "Shower song" will do!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave..."Thank you for your support". Always liked a "Steamy video"... but a recording of a short "Shower song" will do!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf
I'm not so inclined to sing a steamy shower song however plied with strong drink, I may break into a new camping ditty I picked up at the Manitoba rally last weekend. Bring the maple whiskey and earplugs, pitch pipes are for suckers.
Dave.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
It's hard to respond without a bunch of smiley faces considering all these "steamy" shower comments.

But, to answer this question, both of us freely use the off valve on the shower-head to stop water flow while soaping up and scrubbing. Since I have the benefit of less head hair to wash, my showers are shorter, say five minutes, versus hers, perhaps 10 minutes. There's probably another five minutes in between her shower and mine. And, nope, we've never run out on water in that time, either in our 17 or 19.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #16

Sounds about right, however your tag line is only partly correct, ( the Bible verse notwithstanding) to every thing there is a season but in our shower there is no " Turn, Turn, Turn"!
Dave
Old 08-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Dave - good to see you're practicing your prose rather than your torquing.....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #18

Trailer: None as yet
Being an ex submarine sailor and having to donate our "excess" shower water to the reactor primary coolant loop and the galley, we were taught to do a 5 min shower when we got to take a shower.

Wet down, soap down, rinse down and then wipe down the shower interior. Stopping the flow of water before and after soap down.

If it took more than 5 minutes, you earned the nickname "Hollywood" for awhile.

I've since learned one of those puffy things the wife always uses works great for the soap down phase of the evolution.
SSBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Don't know what the temp is coming out of the hotwater heater may be. All I can say is it's FLIPPIN' HOT when I'm washing dishes.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
It's hard to respond without a bunch of smiley faces considering all these "steamy" shower comments.

But, to answer this question, both of us freely use the off valve on the shower-head to stop water flow while soaping up and scrubbing. Since I have the benefit of less head hair to wash, my showers are shorter, say five minutes, versus hers, perhaps 10 minutes. There's probably another five minutes in between her shower and mine. And, nope, we've never run out on water in that time, either in our 17 or 19.
I could probably handle a quick 10 min shower. The time consuming part for me is washing my hair (lots of it!), rinsing, conditioning and rinsing again...and hopefully there's still hot water left!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote