Houghton AC for 5.0 TA - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #101

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
We have Houghton 9500 installed on a 2021 Escape 5 with 2 solar panel. We, however, paid a shop to do the install, so cannot provide the details on the installation.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #102

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavit View Post
Have 2021 (Aug) 5.0 with two solar panels, RecPro fit fine. Hardest part is getting it into position and sealant placed properly. Works great
Thank you. I assume this was the 3400 that is 44" long, not the 2800 or 3501 @ 39"?
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #103

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I installed the A3501 model. 13,500 BTU. Great fit, cools fine.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...5k-non-ducted/
dcavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #104

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
... on an E5.0 with rear solar panel

Have you completed this install?

I need to replace the 2019 default noisy AC on my E5.0 due to it no longer working and the RecPro appears to be a good choice - IF it fits.

I have the (front &) rear solar panel so knowing that it has been done would alleviate concerns.
If you have the combined heating/cooling thermostat from Dometic currently installed, you will need to change the thermostat (and wiring) to a heating only one. The RecPro has the controls built in & the Dometic system uses a "control" box that is in the AC.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #105

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you have the combined heating/cooling thermostat from Dometic currently installed, you will need to change the thermostat (and wiring) to a heating only one. The RecPro has the controls built in & the Dometic system uses a "control" box that is in the AC.
No problem since I'm putting one in for the stepwell heater. Tho, I may need to rig it up to maybe treat the furnace as secondary or just put an A/B switch on the control wires.
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #106

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
So, I took delivery of my new 5.0 last week. I omitted the Dometic AC for the usual reasons. The Coleman 13,500 BTU unit was in supply chain hell when I signed off on my build sheet, not available... I bought the Houghton 3400, 13,500 BTU unit and it was installed yesterday. Low profile, doesn't intrude on my headroom much (thats a major point with me). Looks great, works great.... Happy camper so far here. I asked the techs if they thought it would be too much... they said no way in our climate... we will see.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:55 PM   #107

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Right size for us so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
So, I took delivery of my new 5.0 last week.
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Looks great, works great....Happy camper so far here. I asked the techs if they thought it would be too much... they said no way in our climate... we will see.
We continue enjoying our Houghton 3400. On days with bright sun and temps > 80ºF, we are glad we have the 13500 BTU unit.

Stay cool

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #108

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Congratulations!

We continue enjoying our Houghton 3400. On days with bright sun and temps > 80ºF, we are glad we have the 13500 BTU unit.

Stay cool

73/gus
I asked the installers if they thought it was oversized for the space.. No way they said. I'm with you ... Lots of the calculations are based on Home sq/ft, It doesn't translate to our small spaces..
Old 02-15-2023, 11:59 AM   #109

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by millybob View Post
I just received my 9500 btu houghton ac !! Any specific/special circuit breaker needed? I’m thinking a 15 amp breaker is good for the unit with a max 14.6 amp rating.
Hi Millybob,
We are looking at installing the same Houghton 9500 BTU a/c in our 5.0.
I was wondering how you found the cooling capacity if you have had a chance to use it in hot/humid weather yet.
thanks
Denis
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:20 PM   #110

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckled62 View Post
Hi Millybob,
We are looking at installing the same Houghton 9500 BTU a/c in our 5.0.
I was wondering how you found the cooling capacity if you have had a chance to use it in hot/humid weather yet.
thanks
Denis
Hi Millybob, You should already have 110 wiring to your installation location. 15 amp will be fine. Our 21C was cooled very well with the 9500 BTU unit. Had to change the heat thermostat which was easy. The 9500 seemed to cycle a lot at first and I discovered the round fabric tube that connects to the black ceiling plenum was not clicked in completely and as such cold air leaked into the plenum area and caused the bulb sensor to shut down the compressor earlier than needed. It still cycled a bit often, however, I found that you needed to set the thermostat to max cold and wait until it got close to what you wanted for a temperature setting. You will still need to set it a bit lower than an exact setting you would like. Say four or five degrees and then it worked with no problems. I set the fan to auto and it will start on a high setting then ramp down when the temperature gets close to your setting. Houghton A/C is a well-built unit.
ocala guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 02:08 PM   #111

Trailer: 21
Same here on our 21 works beautifully best money spent on a mod
Old 04-01-2023, 08:59 PM   #112

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0
Hello - for every three decibels, noise doubles. So yes, even tho four decibels doesn’t seem like much difference but it is quite significant.

Cheers and safe travels
Safety Dougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:05 AM   #113

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I wouldn't say struggle Dave, but if it's really hot, it'll run close to non-stop. Much is lost due to the thinness of the shell I suppose. In a sticky with thicker walls and more insulation, or in a double hull design like the Oliver, the AC would run less.

Yes, the Escapes are really poorly insulated, so yes, the AC would have to work more than on a stick built. I don't know how much more ridged foam ETI was able to put in the side walls, once they flattened them out from the Classic shape. Which I have now(I know I can flex the walls easily(waxing), so they don't have much), and the poorly fitting uninsulated door & there is next nothing on the walls(that 3/8" foam is not much). Add what was not below the bed & bench tops? I tried adding yoga mats down there. Not tight to the walls? I "think" (saw on a build photo?)the roof is a double layer(& maybe why some wrinkles show up sometimes). I know they could go to 5/8", as I have found it. But I think the problem is probably bending it & getting it to stick to the curves of the fiberglass trailers. I also put the foam floor mats down, I think that helps. The only real world way to add a good amount of insulation to curved walls, would be spray foam, then the 3/8" marine vinyl. I KNOW it is impossible to control that spray foam depth. Did my whole house(totally filled the bays, & had to cut flat for sheetrock) & garage with it.
Attached Thumbnails
2part Ins.jpg  
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:37 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Dougo View Post
Hello - for every three decibels, noise doubles. So yes, even tho four decibels doesn’t seem like much difference but it is quite significant...

Well, sort of.

It's true that an increase of 3 dB represents a doubling of the sound pressure, but an increase of about 10 dB is required before the sound subjectively appears to be twice as loud. The smallest change we can hear is about 3 dB. The subjective or perceived loudness of a sound is determined by several complex factors.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 08:10 AM   #115

Trailer: 21
As far as being quieter, it so nice to actually talk in a normal voice while the AC is on . I can be sitting in the breakfast nook and momma relaxing on the bed and we talk to each other with a normal voice volume. Unlike with the dometic wind tunnel, we had to raise our voices considerably to be heard.and it would wake us up at times at night.