How long will propane last? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
How long will propane last?

I know there are lots of variables at play, but looking for some educated guesses.

If I have 2 full tanks and will use the propane for the fridge, moderate cooking (simple breakfast and dinner) and for the hot water heater (only turn it on in the evenings that I take a shower). I don't expect to use the furnace.

I have solar and access to a water and dump station, so propane seems to be my limiting resource.

Roughly how many days until the propane runs out? Hopefully some of you with lots of experience can give me a good estimate.

Thanks!
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
With 2 people X 2 hot meals a day we average about 10-12 days fridge on and no furnace no BB-Q . Per 20lb. tank
Temperatures in the mid 20s/c . parked in the shade hopefully .
Old 05-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My expectations line up with devil dog's post. About 12-14 days per 20 pound bottle, no furnace use
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've never kept track.
I did run out of propane in both tanks once ( not a convenient time or place ). So many variables, including the 10 lb. tank I use for the BBQ and the butane tanks for the one burner stoves.
I can only suggest you check the switch over gauge from time to time to ensure you always have one tank.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Great! Thanks for the feedback everyone.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I get a little over 2 weeks on a tank without the furnace, limited use of the water heater, and no cooking (I use a grill/stove outdoors unless it is raining).

At Quartzsite last winter I was going through a tank a week with the furnace set at 58F. - The furnace only ran off & on at night...
Old 05-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I'm surprised at the days on the propane tanks folks are listing with hardly anything but fridge running. These fridges must really suck up propane. We haven't had our 19 long enough to weigh in yet, but I did get a week at Quartzsite running everything including fire pit most nights and cooking breakfast burritos for the masses most mornings.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We got roughly the same, 2 weeks, although I didn't really keep track. Used 24/7 on the fridge, little if any heat, hot water once or twice a day for 30 minutes each. Weather, trailer, and fridge size would have a lot to do with your usage. In warm weather I don't think the fridges gas burner ever shuts off. In cool weather the furnace runs, but not very often. Neved times it but the HW heater runs for somewhere around 10 or 15 minutes to heat up, then we turn it off. So ya, the fridge is the pig in our trailer.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post

Winter camping, furnace, water heater, no fridge -- 7 days to empty 20lb.

Summer camping, same water heater use plus fridge for part of time, 2.5 weeks to empty 20 lb.

As a complete guess, I would say 4 weeks to burn up 20lb using minimal water heater -- morning shower plus dinner dishes ie 2 heating cycles per day.

Your figures will definitely be different than mine.
Pinched from earlier thread.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We use propane at the rate of one 20 lb tank per week with fridge always on propane, some stove use, some hot water use (shut off burner when not needed), bbq use at least once per day, occasional furnace use, and occasional fire bowl use. The fire bowl is a real propane hog if you use it a lot. This rate of consumption has been pretty typical for us over the past three years of summer vacations where we have typically gone for 3 weeks at a time.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
With 80 nights of sleeping in our Escape, we have refilled 3 tanks. Add the 1St tank that was filled at the factory and we get about 20 days per fill. We don't have the electric option for hot water and cook most meals in the trailer. If we have hookups, we use a small electric heater. A reasonable amount of time using the furnace as we boondock about half the time. We use electric for the fridge when hooked up.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
We recently returned from two months (9 weeks) in Arizona. We camped where we had electric 24 days and 39 days without. So, propane use for cooking only when on electric. We ran the furnace and water heater very little. During the trip we filled a 20lb tank three times. I haven't filled after the trip, but we didn't start with full tanks either. So something over 13 days of 'fridge and cooking per tank.

Last September we traveled to the Big Horn Mt. in Wyoming. We camped with electric 10 out of 25 days with three 20lb propane bottle fills. Same use as in Arizona but for the furnace, it was cold with lows in the mid 30F. Here about 5 days per 20lb bottle.

So for us, with little propane water heater use, we get between 5 and 15 days per propane fill.

I think the furnace and water heater are the big propane draws. Cooking and 'fridge aren't that heavy.

Our limits, with solar for electric, are the black holding tank and the fresh water tank.

Your mileage may vary. :-)
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
On a 21-week trip last year I used twelve tanks of propane. This was under a wide variety of conditions, using the furnace when I needed it. For about 3-4 weeks early in the trip the furnace wasn't working, though.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19
We just got back from camping and the weather was crumby ! Really cold so we used the furnace for three full nights as well as the fridge on propane for three nights and three days. I just got home from a propane fill and all we burned was six pounds of propane..
No cooking just heat and the fridge. We are really pleased with that
Bluegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote