inverter help - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #1

Trailer: none
inverter help

been thinking about inverters. don't really NEED an inverter. could easily leave it off build sheet. just consider it a luxury option for whatever unfolds in future years. similarly, might be nice to install during build and have all outlets wired.

as a luxury option, i was debating about an inverter larger than 1500 watts. but i can't imagine any reason to have an inverter larger than 1500 watts, unless you have four 6 volt batteries.

seems like a 1500 watt inverter with 3000 watt surge power would suffice for most things. with only two 6 volt batteries, can't really use high watt items for long anyway because 1/2 the battery amps would be gone in an hour or so.

anyone care to share their views on inverters, getting inverter larger than 1500 watts, and so on............
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
There are a few short time inverter usages where a 2K or larger inverter might be useful - 2 that I can think of are a toaster, and a hot pot for boiling water. Both are around 1700 watts, beyond the current rating of my 1000 watt inverter which I installed to run my 600 watt coffee pot.

Both uses are short enough that my solar panel could replace the amp hours used without too much trouble. I have the optional 95 watt panel on the roof & a folding 160 watt panel that I set out when necessary.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably go for at least a 2K inverter. Might still make the change - I installed heavy enough wiring between the batteries & the inverter to handle the larger one.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #3

thanks. 1 thing on my mind about getting a 2000 watt inverter is that reace said he will only install #4 wire. i guess in the past, he's put in larger wire for people, but apparently not now.

so, puts me off a bit about getting a 2000 w inverter because i'd have to increase the wire size myself. not really sure how to do this properly. when running wire to the batteries i'd be worried about possibly having to enlarge the access hole then sealing it properly, etc. just don't have any knowledge about it at all, so hesitant to jump in.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Jon, I was going to do a 600 watt inverter because I can't think of anything that I'd use larger than that. There's a propane stove and burntbucks makes a great SS plunge pot. Are there some must have appliances for the Escape? Also, I heard that the 1500w inverter has a noisy fan. I think the 600w has no moving parts. Is any of that true?
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Sweet talk Rease into #3 wires then you can go 2500 watts; toaster, blender, electric griddle, etc. Most of these items aren't run for very long but the higher output will be of benefit to you.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
You might want to go heavier than #3 if you are looking at a 2500 watt inverter. While technically large enough, when you add the internal resistance of a pair of 6V batteries, and the resistance of the #3 wiring, it is too easy to drop the voltage at the inverter below its cut off level well before the batteries are actually that low.

I followed Xantrex's suggestion of using #0 wire for my 1000 watt inverter. Even with #0 wire, when running my coffee pot with a 56 amp load, the full batteries get down to 11.2 volts during the draw, then jumps back to 12.6 as soon as the draw stops.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

when it comes to redoing wiring, i assume there's some sort of waterproof "thingie" where wires pass through the trailer wall to outside from inside. thinking about this "thingie" is causing me problems, imagining how to deal with it and then seal it again.....but i suppose it's possible, just like everything else is........
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
My #3 wiring was installed by Rease and is right out of my manual for a 4' run and my system works fine when running a cold 1800 watt load...no speculation here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
You might want to go heavier than #3 if you are looking at a 2500 watt inverter. While technically large enough, when you add the internal resistance of a pair of 6V batteries, and the resistance of the #3 wiring, it is too easy to drop the voltage at the inverter below its cut off level well before the batteries are actually that low.

I followed Xantrex's suggestion of using #0 wire for my 1000 watt inverter. Even with #0 wire, when running my coffee pot with a 56 amp load, the full batteries get down to 11.2 volts during the draw, then jumps back to 12.6 as soon as the draw stops.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote