inverter with transfer switch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2022, 10:40 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
inverter with transfer switch

so how is the inverter with transfer switch wired on the A/C side? does it have its own breaker panel, and not use the extra breakers in the main power center? Or do they wire the DC charger/converter and the air conditioner to an external breaker, and use the main breaker panel for everything else, fed from the output of the transfer switch?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
See attached for the typical arrangement when an inverter with integral transfer switch is used with a Power Center such as the WFCO. The inverter needs its own sub-panel with 'main' (aka 'sub-main') for proper protection of all devices involved.

Does this get to your situation / question?

If using an all-in-one unit (charger / converter / inverter / transfer switch in one enclosure) rather than the WFCO power center, you still need separate AC distribution busses for the 'shore power only circuits' and the 'shore or inverter circuits'; in that case those two separate distribution tasks can be contained in one distribution enclosure as long as it has specific provisions for 'dual mains' on separate busses (the Progressive Dynamics KD55K003 is one 'dual mains / dual buss' panel designed for 30A / 120V RV systems).
Attached Thumbnails
example inverter with integral transfer switch.png  
Old 01-22-2022, 12:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
k, so the wfco runs the converter and the air conditioning and the transfer switch to sub panel runs everything else.

I dunno if I'll go that far, but having 5200 watt*hours of battery, I could. my wife would love to be able to run her hair dryer, for instance. the little 200W 12VDC ones just don't cut it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
k, so the wfco runs the converter and the air conditioning and the transfer switch to sub panel runs everything else.
Don't forget the 120VAC element in the water heater if you have that, you'll want that to stay on the 'WFCO' (shore power only) panel also.

In your case IIRC you have a DC only compressor fridge so that's moot, but folks following who may have an AC/DC compressor reefer or a 3-way reefer will want the 120VAC side of those to stay on 'WFCO' panel also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I dunno if I'll go that far, but having 5200 watt*hours of battery, I could. my wife would love to be able to run her hair dryer, for instance. the little 200W 12VDC ones just don't cut it.
big storage invites 'project scope creep'
Old 01-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
When I retired mine, I did just that, refrig ac side, air conditioning, and the converter stayed in the wfco. I had also split all the doubled up ac wiring to individual breakers in both the subpanel and the wfco. I used a Progressive Dynamics 1800 watt inverter/transfer switch that was cost effective. All these were done just in time to sell it. Oy. However I now know how to improve the next one. I learned most of those skills on this forum.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote