Is it OK to leave the trailer plugged in while stored? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2019, 11:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Is it OK to leave the trailer plugged in while stored?

I have solar on my trailer and I know that this will trickle charge the batteries. Tomorrow I'm putting the cover that Escape sells on the trailer. Some have said that the solar can get enough light through the cover to continue charging the batteries. However we get a lot of snow here.

My 5.0 TA is stored next to the house with a 30 amp plug right there. Is there any problem just leaving the trailer plugged in all the time?
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My trailer has been plugged in since 2008.
I check water levels in my single 12V battery about once every six weeks. Generally have to top up after three months.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Not sure which side of the divide a 2008 falls on, but newer trailers have smarter multi-stage converters that are much better about not "boiling" off all the water when left plugged in.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use a 15 amp adapter and 15' extension and leave it plugged in. No cover as we like to use it rear round. A small heater inside keeps the humidity low.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have the crappy WFCO almost 3 stage converter that I believe is the same as the new trailers. One still needs to check and add water at least a couple times a year. I leave mine plugged in for the winter although I do shut off the 12v.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We leave ours plugged in as well.
In the wintertime, the low sun and the shadows don't allow the solar panel to generate enough power to keep the batteries charged.
Part of my winterize regime is to top up the batteries with distilled water.
By summer, with more sun, there has usually been a high equalize charge by the solar system and so when un-winterizing, distilled water again.
Because it is plugged in you can put a small space heater and/or a dehumidifier in the trailer and run it from your house electricity.
We have a dehumidifier running and when I go out to work on something I flip on a space heater.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My trailer has been plugged in since 2008.
I check water levels in my single 12V battery about once every six weeks. Generally have to top up after three months.
Hi: gbaglo... Keeps the beer cold Eh? I can just set the bottles in the snow between the grass blades!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I've had my trailer plugged into shore power in the yard for nearly an entire year. Can't recall when I last needed to refill my two factory installed 6's (Sep 2013) with distilled water. Probably over a year ago, so, this morning I went out there to check the levels. No problem, all good.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Same answer here, 2104 sits in covered storage so stays plugged in. DID add a flow rite battery watering system to the 6V's though. Once you're sure all the system caps are good and tight, not having to take off the battery box cover to add water is nice.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mswan View Post
I have solar on my trailer and I know that this will trickle charge the batteries. Tomorrow I'm putting the cover that Escape sells on the trailer. Some have said that the solar can get enough light through the cover to continue charging the batteries. However we get a lot of snow here.

My 5.0 TA is stored next to the house with a 30 amp plug right there. Is there any problem just leaving the trailer plugged in all the time?
When I asked Reece this question he said that the best method is to plug in the trailer and let it get fully charged then shut off the main power switch. about once a month go out and turn on the switch and let it charge for a day or so then shut off again. Something about this stopping all parasitic loads and avoids any problems In a mostly unattended camper.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 5ota
I had an exterior solar plug installed so that if I covered it I can plug in an external solar panel that is outside of the plug. Haven't used it yet so don't have any experience yet.
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We leave ours plugged in so that we can run a small dehumidifier during the winter months. And, of course, we checked the batteries about every other month.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Interesting thread. We only get to use Grover about 18-20 days a year, when not being used he is stored in my business warehouse. Living in GA really don't have to worry about it getting to cold especially since it is inside.
I would need to have an electrician wire a 30 amp plug but is it really worth me doing this? Other then running heaters, dehumidifiers and I guess keeping your beer cold what is the advantage of always being plugged in. I mean aren't we suppose to be conserving energy as a society? Don't get me wrong I'm not a tee huger per say but just seems like wasting power to me.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
batteries lose charge just sitting unused, they occasionally need topping off where it freezes. I would think if that is not an issue just checking the charge level once in a while would be enough.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Interesting thread. We only get to use Grover about 18-20 days a year, when not being used he is stored in my business warehouse. Living in GA really don't have to worry about it getting to cold especially since it is inside.
I would need to have an electrician wire a 30 amp plug but is it really worth me doing this? Other then running heaters, dehumidifiers and I guess keeping your beer cold what is the advantage of always being plugged in. I mean aren't we suppose to be conserving energy as a society? Don't get me wrong I'm not a tee huger per say but just seems like wasting power to me.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
Steve, a 15 amp circuit is all that is needed, that is what I have used for past 8 years here in the side yard where the Escapes live. A small dehumidifier and your on board charger would be fine.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Interesting thread.
Steve
you just buy a plug adapter and plug it into a normal ac socket.

https://www.amazon.com/ALEKO%C2%AE-T...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The power to trickle charge the batteries is minimal and it prevents me having to replace a frozen dead battery. Other than that it is equal for me. A heater when I'm working on something is just normal and maybe only for a few hours. Really not out there drinking beer, too cold. You may be in a warm enough climate that you won't have any problems not being plugged and that would be better, I wish that was my case. I try to use my solar panel in the winter but the low angle of the sun prevents it.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #17

Just put my kill o watt meter on the Escape that has been plugged in for 2 weeks so it should be on trickle charge.
Escape on trickle .23amp 19watt
jxoco is offline   Reply With Quote