Kitchen sink leaks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2023, 02:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Kitchen sink leaks

I have had several sink leaks since I received the trailer, so a couple questions for you.

1. Shouldn't there be plumber's putty between the drain flange and sink? ETI used a thin black gasket but I think that gasket belongs on the underside of the sink between the flange that presses on the underside of the sink and the sink.

2. A 2nd leak is happening where the ABS black pipe threads onto the drain. It's not the threads that are leaking, it's where this orange washer meets the bottom of the drain assembly. My question is shouldn't this be flat not a radius to make a better seal/contact on a flat washer?

I hope the pictures provide clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20230616_194057993.jpg   PXL_20230616_195245755.jpg   PXL_20230616_194226234.jpg  
Jeremy Kessenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
If I recall, you are correct, there should be plumbers putty under the flange, nothing else, and the black rubber ring and hopefully a paper ring under that, on the bottom side.

THIS Youtube video confirms that, The video will start with the point (2:07) where he introduces the new sink basket, I saved you from having to watch the removal and cleanup.

Never seen anything like the orange ring before, I usually see a clear soft plastic ring with a flange that protrudes into the pipe slightly. OK here is an orange one Google found for me, usually they are a translucent clear.

Charles
Old 06-22-2023, 08:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kessenich View Post
I have had several sink leaks since I received the trailer, so a couple questions for you.

1. Shouldn't there be plumber's putty between the drain flange and sink? ETI used a thin black gasket but I think that gasket belongs on the underside of the sink between the flange that presses on the underside of the sink and the sink.

2. A 2nd leak is happening where the ABS black pipe threads onto the drain. It's not the threads that are leaking, it's where this orange washer meets the bottom of the drain assembly. My question is shouldn't this be flat not a radius to make a better seal/contact on a flat washer?

I hope the pictures provide clarity.
Not sure about your particular situation but anytime you have rubber or plastic gaskets be careful about tightening the connections too tight....tighter is not always better.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Thank you Charles, as a novice DIY plumber I wasn't sure if there was anything I wasn't aware of, giving deference to ETI as the "professionals" doing the installation and did they know something I didn't. I have tried one of the translucent t washers with no luck. I'm trying the t washer you posted as it feels semi silicone, rubber like, rather than the hard translucent one. I also used some "tfe" sealant with it as the container says it's safe for ABS pipe and I am a belt and suspenders kinda guy. I did put plumbers putty under the flange as they used the rubber gasket instead of putty under the flange with nothing below. I put the rubber gasket below. The paper gasket was awol but it isn't needed as the collar on the underside doesn't rotate as the nut pushes the collar up. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kessenich View Post
Thank you Charles, as a novice DIY plumber I wasn't sure if there was anything I wasn't aware of, giving deference to ETI as the "professionals" doing the installation and did they know something I didn't. I have tried one of the translucent t washers with no luck. I'm trying the t washer you posted as it feels semi silicone, rubber like, rather than the hard translucent one. I also used some "tfe" sealant with it as the container says it's safe for ABS pipe and I am a belt and suspenders kinda guy. I did put plumbers putty under the flange as they used the rubber gasket instead of putty under the flange with nothing below. I put the rubber gasket below. The paper gasket was awol but it isn't needed as the collar on the underside doesn't rotate as the nut pushes the collar up. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.
There will be more workmanship corrections youll be making, but the up side of that is you will learning more and more about your trailer.
Ive found more than a few poor workmanship issues, but I also know how over the years finding people with the skills required for many different projects can be difficult.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote