Larger propane tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' escape (Sold) as of August 2019 waiting for our 21’ to be built
Larger propane tanks

Can I put 30 pound tanks To replace the 20 pound tanks on my 21’ escape?
... and how long will my battery last while dry camping. ( if using lights etc only in the evening)
Bruce clarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce clarkson View Post

Keep in mind, you have to drag them to the fill site.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I believe others have. Aren't they the same diameter only taller? You'd just have to buy a new propane tank cover.

Using only lights, led presumably, in the evening. A long time. And with even minimal solar charging, forever.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
... Aren't they the same diameter only taller?
Correct, and if you go with aluminum instead of steel tanks it helps a bit with the weight issue.

BTDT on my Casita, back when I was 'feeding' a crowd and the associated huge LP-hungry grill in the motorcycle roadracing paddock. Good times
Old 08-08-2020, 05:06 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Are you not going to be using your fridge or water in the trailer? Lights aren't the only thing that use 12v. We're pretty frugal with our power use, just the basics, and use a little less then 10Ah a day. At that rate from a single 12v battery we could get roughly 4-5 days if we try and keep the drain to less then 50%, at least double that for a pair of 6v. If I could get by with only lights for a few hours I could probably go weeks.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
From my experience with 1 battery and 2 -20 lb propane tanks, you will run out of battery long before you run out of propane .
We’ve gotten 3 to 4 days off a single 27 F battery running LED lights for short periods of time and our refrigerator on propane.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had considered 30 lb bottles with my 19, but found that even in cold weather the two 20 lb bottles lasted a long time, so no need to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Keep in mind, you have to drag them to the fill site.
If you carry them it is easier than dragging. They are still only 55 lbs full. Not heavy at all.

I have handled a lot of 100 lb bottles over time. Not to bad to tote empty, but a bit more awkward when full. Still, where there's a will, there's a way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I have thought about changing to 30 pound bottles, I agree with Jim. I dry camp at Quartzsite, AZ all winter, and with the thermostat set at 60°F, I generally go 10 - 14 days per tank. Worst case was a cold, wet week that needed a refill in 8 days.

As to electricity, when I was using a pair of 6V batteries, using 40 - 50 amp hours per day (far more than just lights) and 320 watts of solar, I never ran out as long as there was sunshine. Now I am using a pair of lithium batteries, and can go for at least a week without sun.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You'd just have to buy a new propane tank cover
Is there a reason to need a tank cover, other than the looks and keeping everything clean? Those are good enough reasons, but countless trailers have gone their entire lives without propane covers.

I have a slight bias against covers because of my work around hydraulic machinery. Covers often hid small leaks that would have been fixed before they became large leaks. Also, a lot of covers became catch basins that, when they were removed, dumped gallons of oil from small leaks.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Is there a reason to need a tank cover, other than the looks and keeping everything clean? Those are good enough reasons, but countless trailers have gone their entire lives without propane covers.

I have a slight bias against covers because of my work around hydraulic machinery. Covers often hid small leaks that would have been fixed before they became large leaks. Also, a lot of covers became catch basins that, when they were removed, dumped gallons of oil from small leaks.
I once had a nasty surprise when removing the tank covers on my old Holiday Rambler after a month or so of not moving it.

Some wasps had taken up residence under there and took offense when I disturbed them.

Very exciting few minutes. My wife thought I had taken up rain dancing!
Old 08-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post

You’re not talking about a hydraulic pump here. The cover is a good idea to protect rubber propane hoses from UV exposure. I would think most people buying an Escape would want a cover just for the aesthetics anyway.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
You’re not talking about a hydraulic pump here. The cover is a good idea to protect rubber propane hoses from UV exposure. I would think most people buying an Escape would want a cover just for the aesthetics anyway.
You're right, it's not covering a pump, but I have developed a fetish for looking at plumbing, wiring, framing, etc. To my mind, covers are often structures that are intended to hide problems. I can see if the hoses are deteriorating, or are kinked. My eye sees real beauty in good workmanship on industrial fixtures. I don't really like the look of the tank covers. Now, after going down a muddy dirt road for 40 miles, I may change my mind.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce clarkson View Post
... and how long will my battery last while dry camping. ( if using lights etc only in the evening)
I would highly recommend against that. There are 24 hour machines where you can exchange a 20 lb tank in a pinch. With a 30 lb tank you have to find a place that will fill them and is open.

Two twenty pound tanks will last at least a month without running the heater, and at least two weeks with heater use. Having 20 lbs tanks is a positive feature not a negative IMO.

I would suggest you get one installed solar panel, to help with your battery usage. We found a single group 27 battery lasted a couple days. I expect dual 6 volt batteries to last twice as long. Unless, your running an inverter with a solar panel and dual 6 volt batteries, they should not be a limiting factor no matter how long you dry camp. Don't forget in addition to your lights your 12 volt system also runs your refrigerator and water heater controls, water pump as well as vent and heater fans.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Or when the inevitable rust streaks develop.

Whatever flicks your switch.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
The biggest reason for the cover is UV protection in my opinion. The propane change over indicator was so yellowed on my old trailer you could barely read it.

And speaking of that, I do plan on cutting out the oval indent on my cover so I can see the change over indicator without taking the cover off.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The biggest reason for the cover is UV protection in my opinion. The propane change over indicator was so yellowed on my old trailer you could barely read it.

And speaking of that, I do plan on cutting out the oval indent on my cover so I can see the change over indicator without taking the cover off.
You can just get a little dental mirror or similar and then you can check the changeover indicator by simply opening the little flap on top of the propane cover
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Or you can get fancy and make a window.
Attached Thumbnails
gas regulator window.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:48 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
That’s a nifty idea Don ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:15 AM   #19
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

If you don't want to cut an opening in the cover, just get some peel n stick mirror stuff and put it inside so all you need to do is look inside at the mirror to see if it's green or red. Here's the thread that has the link for the mirror material. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post300538

We have a habit now of looking at the little mirror every time we hook up to check for the red light. It's part of our 'take off' check list and every time we turn the propane on or off. Works well! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Yes that's the molded indentation I was planning on cutting out. I hadn't though about adding Plexiglas to it, that's a good idea.