Leaking toilet - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I got a reply from Reece. He says it was a known issue where the hot water tank relief valve was not releasing pressure low enough and was causing issues with the pump and toilet. They've started to add in a check valve at the cold water connection for the hot water tank.

ETI is sending me the check valve and apparently I'll have to rent a pex banding tool to install it.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can buy one for $30 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Pex-Cinch-Cla...XHRVADWPQQ2971
Old 05-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
I got a reply from Reece. He says it was a known issue where the hot water tank relief valve was not releasing pressure low enough and was causing issues with the pump and toilet. They've started to add in a check valve at the cold water connection for the hot water tank.

ETI is sending me the check valve and apparently I'll have to rent a pex banding tool to install it.
Follow-up:

The check valve seems to be the solution. We have had no issues with leaking at all during the five nights of camping.

I have noticed that water does leak from the hot-water tank's relief valve during the heating-up process; I assume that's normal. It stops after the water comes up to temp.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I would like to add a check valve at the cold water connection for the hot water tank. Can anyone post a picture of the check valve or the part # that I can buy one at Amazon. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #25

Trailer: -
The toilet leak during the flush is normally because of the damaged seal in the vacuum breaker. The damaged seal is unable to hold the water and cause a leak. You need to buy the seal and replace it for some RV. Check with the manufacturer to know about it. The initial seal leaking can be prevented with vaseline and rubber gloves. I have seen a product in the market called plumber grease as a substitute for the vaseline. Keeping the seal moist can be a preventive measure to avoid such leaks. The leaks can also occur from the crack after the winterization. I think porcelain is more prone to cracks. Check the valve and flapper too.
If you haven't found any damage in those parts, better get assistance from any professional plumbers. I'm afraid to do too many experiments alone. Anxious might it cause any further harm.
JennBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
When we picked up our trailer there was a leak that would happen at our hot water sink connection whenever the water heater was being heated. ETI recommended tightening the connection, which solved the problem for us. It sounds like the same underling problem, but manifested on the hot water piping now.

The P & T valve on the water heater releases pressure at 150 PSI, which means that if it's weeping, the hot water system should be under that amount of pressure. It seems a bit high to me, but I guess this happens on all trailers that use the Suburban water heater, and likely a similar pressure on Atwood water heaters assuming they use a P & T valve too.

I have another solution for those of you who have this problem. Whenever you're heating a significant amount of water in the water heater, turn off your pump, and open a hot water tap somewhere which should relieve the pressure and allow for expansion in the system. Turning on the pump briefly during this time would be fine.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote