Leaky black tank drain - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Leaky black tank drain

I was planning on adding a switch for the electric portion of my water heater today
I removed the mattress and lifted up the hinged plywood portion of the bed platform and discovered a lsrge puddle of water . I took my shopvac and cleaned up the water , got about 1 1/2 quarts . I checked the caulking on the roof and all looked good
I put water in the fresh water tanks and pressurized the system . The pressure held for 3 hours so I assume that’s good
I put about 15 gallons of water in the black tank and appears there lies the problem.
The ABS threaded fitting that screws into the hub on the black water tank seems to be slowly leaking around the threads . Is there a simple fix beyond cutting the 3” ABS , resealing the threads and reinstalling the pipe using a couple of Mission couplings ?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Leaving next week for the Mississippi River Rendevous so I need to get this problem fixed ASAP !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Lots of discussion about that recently: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...bed-14949.html
Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was planning on adding a switch for the electric portion of my water heater today
I removed the mattress and lifted up the hinged plywood portion of the bed platform and discovered a lsrge puddle of water . I took my shopvac and cleaned up the water , got about 1 1/2 quarts . I checked the caulking on the roof and all looked good
I put water in the fresh water tanks and pressurized the system . The pressure held for 3 hours so I assume that’s good
I put about 15 gallons of water in the black tank and appears there lies the problem.
The ABS threaded fitting that screws into the hub on the black water tank seems to be slowly leaking around the threads . Is there a simple fix beyond cutting the 3” ABS , resealing the threads and reinstalling the pipe using a couple of Mission couplings ?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Leaving next week for the Mississippi River Rendevous so I need to get this problem fixed ASAP !
Steve! If didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all!

Just cut the 3" ABS pipe 6" down from the fitting, unscrew the threaded fitting from the black tank, slide a 3" PVC coupling onto the ABS pipe, reinstall the threaded section back to the tank using sealant on the threads, and slide the 3" coupling over the cut section and tighten the clamps.

Easy Peasy!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fernco-3-in...ngs/1000075327
Old 09-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I talked to Escape and they are going to send me the repair kit shown in Reace’s video
My experience on the job with trying to get plastic threads to seal and not leak has not been good so hopefully the sealant Escape sends will fix the problem
We live in a rural area and the local hdwe store does not stock ABS or the proper sealant so we are at the mercy of Escape and the USPS
Hopefully I can get it fixed and we can make it to the rally .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All you have to do Steve is in the event you can not fix the problem yourself and thus can not bring your delicious sausage gravy to the Rally, let us know and at least 2 other Escapees will volunteer to help you fix the problem and get you on the road....to the rally....