Lets talk -- sewer hose supports - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Lets talk -- sewer hose supports

So the maiden voyage is been and gone and its time to think of "whats next" for purchasing. So naturally I think of the slinky...

What are the real pro's and con's of those support brackets? I totally get their purpose (limit hose damage and improved 'flow') and if one was to be long term at a FHU site it would be a no-brainer.

For a weekend warrior, or someone who can stretch dumps to say once a week, do these things make sense? Do people use the supports for a "quick" visit to the community dumping station?

Or just do the caterpillar walk when dumping?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
caterpillar walk. I think I've used the supports twice in 7 years.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While there are certain campground sites where they could work fine, most of the time they are not needed. For me, it is not something I would want to tote around.

They are of no use when boondocking, and even in campgrounds I usually only hook up and dump when leaving, or the odd time after a few days, if staying longer than the tanks can manage.

The only situation where I see them being advantageous, is if you are parked full time in a campsite.

Obviously my vote is a no to them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Just one more thing to store in my book. Sewer hose isn't heavy to dump, which you'd have to do anyways to really clean it out to store.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Also no. Don't need more stuff to carry.
And, I wonder if some that use them are leaving their black tank open which results in liquids draining away and solids clogging up the works.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, I wonder if some that use them are leaving their black tank open which results in liquids draining away and solids clogging up the works.
With my first RV with sewer drains, I did this the first time out, but once it was pointed out to me why not to do it, I immediately saw the error in my ways. I have now explained to a few others that they should not do this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Also no. Don't need more stuff to carry.
Exactly. The idea is to have plenty of water in the tank, not to empty it all of the time. Long-timers will tell you to use plenty of water in the black tank to prevent problems. These set-ups do the opposite.

You also are highly unlikely to need it unless staying in one place a very long time. If you are at a site for a month, there is also a good chance that there will be a dumping service coming around.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

OK.

Thanks all.

One less thing to worry about.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With my first RV with sewer drains, I did this the first time out, but once it was pointed out to me why not to do it, I immediately saw the error in my ways. I have now explained to a few others that they should not do this.
Saw this on several units several times on our trip. Sewer hose connected, black tank valve pulled open and left that way. I guess if you like a pile of "stuff" in the bottom of your black tank, that's a perfect way to achieve it.

As for the hose support, we had a Camco Sidewinder and used it at almost every campsite. At many of them the drain for the sewer was either level or slightly uphill from the trailer's sewer connection. Using the support allowed us to route the hose and achieve a downhill slope. Made dumping a breeze. Packs up small and I have a permanent spot for it right next to the batteries in the storage box.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Saw this on several units several times on our trip. Sewer hose connected, black tank valve pulled open and left that way. I guess if you like a pile of "stuff" in the bottom of your black tank, that's a perfect way to achieve it.

As for the hose support, we had a Camco Sidewinder and used it at almost every campsite. At many of them the drain for the sewer was either level or slightly uphill from the trailer's sewer connection. Using the support allowed us to route the hose and achieve a downhill slope. Made dumping a breeze. Packs up small and I have a permanent spot for it right next to the batteries in the storage box.
Ditto for us. When you need one you need one. Bought the simple one held together with staples. Removed sections to make smaller. Takes up minimal room. We have found curbs in front of drains, drains that are sideways, drains high off the ground. In each case the support made draining possible. It also allows you to create a uniform slope for when you do pull the drain lever. Small investment and minimal space.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I use it all the time when hooked up or draining. Keeps the slinky off the ground or out of the mud and I hope will help prevent punctures. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
No need for single shots, caterpillar walk works fine. If one was to sit in a site with FHU's for a couple weeks I can using such. Maybe once we start to snowbird. You are supposed to let the tanks fill up more or less before dumping, which for us is roughly once a week. Ones dump frequency is really a personal choice, as is the need for this gizmo.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #13

I keep my sewer hose stored at camp, and only pull it out when I need to use it. I don't really care to have it laying about when not it use. Rinse and store after dumping takes less than a minute, and you need to rinse every time you use it anyway, otherwise..........

Items like this, where there is an easy solution around it, get deemed to be extra stuff, and left behind. Just a personal choice.

I do like the term 'Caterpillar Walk'. I think I will adopt it.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Ditto for us. When you need one you need one. Bought the simple one held together with staples. Removed sections to make smaller. Takes up minimal room. We have found curbs in front of drains, drains that are sideways, drains high off the ground. In each case the support made draining possible. It also allows you to create a uniform slope for when you do pull the drain lever. Small investment and minimal space.
Are you saying that you can somehow change a basic uphill into a downhill? We have never found a way to do that.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
The first time I noticed these supports was last month at a park campground in Fredericksburg, Texas. There were several large 5th-wheel campers parked there who looked like they'd been there for weeks, and all of them had the supports. I couldn't figure out the need for them, but I'm sure I'm missing something-- maybe if you have the hose deployed for weeks on end it needs a constant slope, or something. Some of the supports were elaborate contraptions, like mini-aquaducts. Except it isn't aqua. Ewww.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #16

Think they are keeping them from getting muddy, Mike. Also can be seen better so they are not walked on or tripped on. They tend to have much longer slinkys than we do.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #17

Potentially reduces weed wacker/lawn mower damage as well.

So personal choice item. Guess if it is on clearence at wally world I would get.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #18

Well, whacking or shredding up with a mower or whacker, wouldn't want to be around for that. LOL
Old 04-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have a "slinky" or accordion style hose support, and use it only when leaving the sewer hose hooked up for an extended stay in a site; I've never used it at a community dumping station. In the seasonal-length extended stay RV parks that I have seen, essentially everyone uses some sort of support at their site.

I agree that the dump valves should never be left open; the use of a hose support does not imply that either valve has been left open. Installing a support means that dumping is just a matter of pulling valves each time a tank gets full, with no hose handling required. That doesn't matter for a short stay, but does over a longer period.

Some sort of support ensuring a continual downward drainage is particularly valuable if leaving the hose connected in freezing conditions. That's not a common scenario for Escape owners.

I have found with the accordion design that something more secure than the included rubber strings is required to keep the hose and support in place; for long stays I have used cable ties.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
If you are at a site for a month, there is also a good chance that there will be a dumping service coming around.
This is a practice which varies by location. I have heard of dumping (and freshwater delivery) services going around campgrounds (particularly in Mexico), but I've never seen it in Canada. The only places I've seen here which have long-term sites have sewer lines to the sites.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote