loose propane bottles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
loose propane bottles

have 2018 Escape 21, been camping several times and propane bottles always work themselves loose after a few miles. seems like bottom basket is wrong size, maybe too wide, I don't know? or, maybe bottoms of new tanks not flat, I recall checking that, think they are flat. Never had this problem in previous trailer, Casita.

was thinking of putting in rubber mat to secure bottom of tanks. anyone else have this problem, looking for suggestions. thanks :-)
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I installed some clear plastic automotive door trim on my bottle bottoms to prevent rust.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
They do work loose as you say. I think a rubber mat would stop or slow that down but I’d be a little concerned about trapped water. Maybe the door trim idea would be a better option. I go through some propane in a season so I’m refilling or changing tanks often enough that I keep things snugged up. I have a couple spare tanks so if I camp for a week or say 10 days, I’ll change out a tank for a full one so I’ve got the max on like when we leave for Osoyoos. Put a bungee on the bottom of your tank cover so it can’t blow off if you haven’t already done so. I
See at least one tank cover along I 80 just about every time I make the 800 mile round trip to Fort Wayne.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-02-2019, 10:01 AM   #4

yes, I know about keeping bungee attached, I recall funny story years ago on another forum about what happens when you don't use the bungee, paraphrasing " I hear a loud noise, look in the rear view mirror and see our propane cover 20' in the air behind the trailer" lols

thanks for replies :-)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
i trailered for 11 years before i got my 17--never thought about propane cover, never lost one, never knew about the bungee. my 2018 came with one! thanks, Escape.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

Trailer: ?
If the bottles are loose, most likely it’s because the large wing nut at the top of the all-thread that holds the brace that secures the bottles has backed off, perhaps from road vibrations.

This post about preventing the theft of your bottles, solves both the loosening and theft problems with one easy step.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...eft-14244.html

You wouldn’t have to use the lock if you really don’t want to. A bolt and a wingnut would also work. Or a piece of bent wire close hanger, or whatever.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 PM   #7

I solved my problem with a small wood spacer between the bottom of the propane tank and retainer platform to space the tank in approximately 1". Apparently the retaining arm to hold the tanks at the top is not a good fit for the bottom of the tank platform.

Visualize a pair of shoes that are too large for your feet. You can put on more socks to snug them up, or they will be loose fitting no matter how tight you lace them up.

After I installed the wooden spacer, problem solved, propane tanks stay fixed solid, no getting loose like before.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:29 AM   #8

I found that my tanks were not factory mounted flush on the platform, they were at a slight angle and loose. I rebased the hold down and reset the tanks flush and repositioned the hold down to where it would tighten and the tanks were secure. We checked maybe another 3-4 new Escapes at the rally which had the same issue, loosen, reposition, and then retighten.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I solved my problem with a small wood spacer between the bottom of the propane tank and retainer platform to space the tank in approximately 1". Apparently the retaining arm to hold the tanks at the top is not a good fit for the bottom of the tank platform.

Visualize a pair of shoes that are too large for your feet. You can put on more socks to snug them up, or they will be loose fitting no matter how tight you lace them up.

After I installed the wooden spacer, problem solved, propane tanks stay fixed solid, no getting loose like before.

Could you post a pic? I’m having trouble visualizing both your problem and your solution.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #10

sorry didn't post pic, trailer in storage approx 100 miles away, so may be awhile, but will try and remember to post pic soon, thanks

the problem doesn't require a pic, you fill the tanks, put them back in the rack, tighten the hold down screw, everything looks good, is nice and tight. down the road aways, they are loose again. that's the way it came from the factory, brand new, always a problem until I installed the wooden space, works for me, ymmv :-)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #11

Are you placing the board spacer under the tank edge 1" thick or flat on the platform to keep the tank bottom spaced apart by 1"?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #12

the bottom of the tanks sit on the platform flat like before. the spacer only moves one of the tanks closer to center by 1" to better line up the top with the provided bar that holds down the tanks. It centers the groove in the bar on the top of the tank better. the spacer has to be flat enough so the tank that being set in 1" sets flat. sorry no pic, maybe later?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #13

Quote:
the bottom of the tanks sit on the platform flat like before. the spacer only moves one of the tanks closer to center by 1" to better line up the top with the provided bar that holds down the tanks. It centers the groove in the bar on the top of the tank better. the spacer has to be flat enough so the tank that being set in 1" sets flat. sorry no pic, maybe later?

I would like to see your setup when you have a chance. I still don’t understand why this can’t be fixed without a spacer by putting the tanks in the correct position before tightening. I fiddle with mine every time I refill a tank to line them up correctly before cinching down, and once done they neither wobble nor come loose.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I would like to see your setup when you have a chance. I still don’t understand why this can’t be fixed without a spacer by putting the tanks in the correct position before tightening. I fiddle with mine every time I refill a tank to line them up correctly before cinching down, and once done they neither wobble nor come loose.
ditto. what you said. before tightening, I wiggle the tanks in a bit so the notches in the clamp bar are centered on the handle flanges, then I tighten the bar and nothing ever moves.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 AM   #15

I think I understand, the spacer bar is on the outside of the tank ring to keep the bottom of the tank from traveling out towards the edge of the platform, sort of similar to a tire chock to keep the item in place. Have to see if that helps to keep the tanks secure, mine were loose again after traveling home from Osoyoos where they were first checked and fixed there coming from the factory.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #16

hello cpaharley, I think you got it. Notice others not having issue have older trailers, so I assume the top bar matches the bottom retaining plate better on their trailers. I never had this issue with my 2004 Casita, purchased used 2006 with 12 years of use.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #17

Quote:
hello cpaharley, I think you got it. Notice others not having issue have older trailers, so I assume the top bar matches the bottom retaining plate better on their trailers. I never had this issue with my 2004 Casita, purchased used 2006 with 12 years of use.

Charles, were you putting your propane bottles onto the platform with the outside of the bases flush with the outside edge of the platform? If so I can understand how the scalloped holder bar wouldn’t line up right and would then cant the bottles when tightened. If the spacer you made sits between the outer edge of the bottles and outside edge of platform then this all makes sense to me now. You’ve essentially fabricated a device to quickly locate correct placement of the bottles; something others just do manually by slightly repositioning the bottles so the notches on the top bar line up right before clamping. Clever to have something that makes it instantaneous without that extra little bit of fussing.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Revisiting this thread as we have just discovered that the rod holding our tanks in place is not secured at the bottom of the plate, which means our tanks are loose. Since we had our tanks stolen previously, the top of the rod is secured with a padlock which might be what caused the nut on the bottom of the rod to come loose. Does anyone know the size of the threaded rod as we need to buy some nuts to secure the bottom? Otherwise, we will have to disassemble everything to get the rod out.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #19

I'd call the factory, Dave or Dustin in parts should know
Old 10-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thanks, I'll post an inquiry to him tomorrow.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote