Loving my sewage pump! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 09:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Loving my sewage pump!

I admit it's fairly disgusting, but I've been finding a portable sewage macerator pump to be a really useful accessory. We've been doing a lot of weekend getaways since we got the trailer, and there has often been a long line at the dump station on late Sunday afternoons. With the macerator, if there's a line, I can just skip it and dump at home instead. It probably takes me an additional 5 minutes to dump at home vs. at the dump station, but that's way less than the time I'd be spending waiting in line.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
So it makes smoothies?

Sorry, couldn’t resist making a poop joke.

My cousin has one, doesn’t even have a large sewage hose, just a hose a little larger than a garden hose to dump.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Can a Macerator with without fresh water hose?

I’m considering getting a Macerator pump but puzzled. Do I need fresh water hose to make it work? Or can o send black water through first and flush unit with gray water. The thought of being able to dump faster or at home is appealing. The need for a fresh water hose to complete the process is not.
AZCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 E19
I'm puzzled as to why one needs a macerator pump to dump at home. I can dump into a tote and roll it to my cleanout pipe in the back yard to empty it. What's the point of adding another gizmo?
Old 10-02-2023, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021Ne
I use a macerator pump at home if the dump station line is long. No fresh water hose is needed as long as you run gray water after the black water. I also keep some fresh water in the tank and run that through the black then gray to get a good rinse.

I created a sewer access on my home so I don’t have to run the macerator into my house.
KSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWI View Post
I use a macerator pump at home if the dump station line is long. No fresh water hose is needed as long as you run gray water after the black water. I also keep some fresh water in the tank and run that through the black then gray to get a good rinse.

I created a sewer access on my home so I don’t have to run the macerator into my house.
I’m just thinking a small hose might be less visible to neighbors. I’ve never lived anyplace with a busy body HOA but I do now and it’s too expensive to move. Whoever invented HOAs is evil.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCowboy View Post
I’m just thinking a small hose might be less visible to neighbors. I’ve never lived anyplace with a busy body HOA but I do now and it’s too expensive to move. Whoever invented HOAs is evil.
A macerator pump can make longer runs easier than rv sewer hoses. No slope is required for the drain hose. I run about 50 feet on flat ground with no issues.
KSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I'm puzzled as to why one needs a macerator pump to dump at home. I can dump into a tote and roll it to my cleanout pipe in the back yard to empty it. What's the point of adding another gizmo?
With the macerator pump, I can run a longer way with a cheap (smaller) hose and a bit uphill to my septic tank input.

It's a bit more work to use compared to a dump station, but nice to have.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

Not every house has a cleanout, especially older ones
Old 10-03-2023, 10:57 PM   #10

I finally found out clean out thing in the middle of our front sidewalk (!!!). It’s a 3 inch pipe. Can the output from the Macerator be controlled so as to not be too fast and flood out and spill sewage from the clean out? We live the better part of an hour from any dump so dumping at home would be a huge convenience. Need verification that I can use gray water to flush out the Macerator rather than having to find a fresh water supply hose.?!
Old 10-04-2023, 01:35 AM   #11

Quote:
I finally found out clean out thing in the middle of our front sidewalk (!!!). It’s a 3 inch pipe. Can the output from the Macerator be controlled so as to not be too fast and flood out and spill sewage from the clean out? We live the better part of an hour from any dump so dumping at home would be a huge convenience. Need verification that I can use gray water to flush out the Macerator rather than having to find a fresh water supply hose.?!

The macerator only has one speed, but it's not so powerful as to flood a three inch pipe. You'd just want to make sure that you put the end of the hose a foot or so inside the cleanout pipe.

And yes, you can flush with gray water. However, when you're done, you'll have a hose full of gray water which you probably wouldn't want to dump on the grouhd. As long as your macerator is above the level of your cleanout, you will be able to just unhook the hose and let gravity drain the remaining water into the clean out. Otherwise, you'd need to leave the hose connected, disconnect the macerator from the trailer, and walk it to a point where it's higher than the cleanout.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:19 AM   #12

Thank you‼️. This was the answer I was looking for. Have a fantastic day and a better tomorrow��
Old 10-04-2023, 04:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
Hugh, we are glad you're so pumped.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:46 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
HOAs can be a pain, but believe me they can be a blessing too. We have mixed emotions about ours. Communication is the key.

We don't have a black tank, but we will be using an inline pump to get our gray over to the clean out, recently uncovered when the drought took out bush in our front yard.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
... I've been finding a portable sewage macerator pump to be a really useful accessory. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWI View Post
I use a macerator pump at home .....
Please post the brand and model of the macerator pump that has proven satisfactory for you.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:28 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Please post the brand and model of the macerator pump that has proven satisfactory for you
I use SewerFlo Quick Release RV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KT254R?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote