Modification for Coleman FryCadet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 2017
Modification for Coleman FryCadet

Hi all,
We love our outside kitchen and mostly just use the inside for prep. I've been a little disappointed with our propane stove the Camp Chef Ranger II. The burners are very hot and it doesn't adjust easily.

Another Escape buddy has the Coleman FryCadet and likes it. I've found interweb videos that show how to clean the controls so that it has a lower flame

Question - Is there a propane connection that replaces the original regulator and uses the low pressure connection from the Escape? The Camp Chef can be hooked up directly without an additional regulator.
Coleman has been no help in answering this question.
JeffO4297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO4297 View Post
Another Escape buddy has the Coleman FryCadet and likes it.
I assume that you mean the FyreCadet.

Quote:
Question - Is there a propane connection that replaces the original regulator and uses the low pressure connection from the Escape? The Camp Chef can be hooked up directly without an additional regulator.
Unlikely. Both the Camp Chef stove and the FyreCadet have separate controls (on the stove) and regulators, but while the Camp Chef stove's regulator is on the other end of the hose, the FyreCadet's regulator is in the supply fitting (probably the common Coleman 5430) that screws onto a one-pound cylinder.

To eliminate the Camp Chef stove's regulator you just change hoses, but you probably can't get a fitting to connect a hose (supplying low-pressure propane) to the Coleman FyreCadet stove; if you could, it would look something like the "RV hose to disposable adapter" available for the Camp Chef oven. Even if you could get the fitting (the Camp Chef adapter almost certainly won't fit the Coleman), the pressure from the FyreCadet's regulator is probably different from the standard pressure (11 inches of water column or 0.4 PSI, 2.7 kPa) of low-pressure regulators and appliances; a quick web search suggests that the typical Coleman stove uses propane regulated to 15 PSI... about 38 times as much pressure as you get from the trailer's low-pressure outlet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #3

Well, that sounds like an informed answer...I'm really glad that there are folks here willing to help.
It is a bit disappointing though to hear that the pressures may not be compatible. I was afraid of that. The big benefit of the Camp Chef is that I don't have to carry bottles or another tank to supply it. I guess I was trying to have my cake and eat it too.
Thanks so much for the input
Old 04-19-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
It is a bit disappointing though to hear that the pressures may not be compatible. I was afraid of that. The big benefit of the Camp Chef is that I don't have to carry bottles or another tank to supply it.
Thanks so much for the input
It is indeed disappointing. Too often large companies like Coleman et al, fail to consider the cross purposes of equipment when it comes to these small appliances. A good example is the Coleman propane stove line.

I'd much rather carry that to use outside of our E21NE than the bulk and weight of a Camp Chef grill. Particularly when many of us prefer not to cook inside our trailers...but don't want to purchase and carry around disposable 1 pound cans, when 5 pound and trailer tanks are more than ready to be "plug and play".

At least give us an optional product that allows us to use our onboard propane.

I won't purchase Coleman products for that failure alone (IMHO).
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cant say I blame you. I own several Coleman appliances and used to really like to cook on them. But when the white gas went out of sight and I wanted a more compact stove for the Escape I went with a camp chef Everest stove. I tired of the cost of the one pound cylinders so then went to an 11 pound propane tank with a hose that hooks up to the Everest and to my Weber Q and will screw into the bottom of one of my propane lanterns that hangs from those big shepherd hooks found in federal campgrounds.
Made by R. J. Thomas dba Pilot Rock in Cherokee Iowa. Also hooks up to my campfire in a can which has an easily removed regulator.
So the Coleman stuff is retired and they did it to themselves. But I’m sure they don’t care about my tiny contribution to their bottom line over the years.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #6

Unfortunately Dave, I have found more businesses that have that same attitude lately. They apparently have enough business and so they just don't answer the phone or return emails. They are just fine with saying we don't have that or don't do that.
Oh well, you guys just saved me about $150
Old 04-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #7

Things have really changed in the past 30 years and not for the better in many cases. Once in a while you can find someone who cares and will help you and it’s a welcome relief. It shouldn’t be that way, it should be all the time with a few exceptions. We could all provide anecdotes I’m sure. My main focus these days is to do like you did and figure out compatibility before buying or figure out how to safely make a “work around” when possible. Also sometimes you have to invest a little more money than you planned on but if it’s a long term solution that works well it’s worth it to me. A Camp Chef camp stove connected to a Weber auxiliary hose connected to a Worthington propane tank works if you’ve got the time to lace your hands behind your head and ask yourself “How am I going to beat those ............ this time? Lots of things can be figured out, especially with a little help from your friends.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Too often large companies like Coleman et al, fail to consider the cross purposes of equipment when it comes to these small appliances. A good example is the Coleman propane stove line.
Okay, but it's not just Coleman: most camping stoves don't work on a low-pressure supply... including some models from Camp Chef.

Quote:
I'd much rather carry that to use outside of our E21NE than the bulk and weight of a Camp Chef grill. Particularly when many of us prefer not to cook inside our trailers...but don't want to purchase and carry around disposable 1 pound cans, when 5 pound and trailer tanks are more than ready to be "plug and play".

At least give us an optional product that allows us to use our onboard propane.
You can use any propane appliance without your onboard propane. Just use a tee fitting to connect a hose from one of the propane tanks (not the trailer's regulated low-pressure propane plumbing) to the stove's regulator. Various versions of this hose setup are readily available.

Quote:
I won't purchase Coleman products for that failure alone (IMHO).
Then why do you buy from Camp Chef, since they also make stoves that won't work on low-pressure propane?

For their high-pressure stoves Camp Chef offers a particularly tidy Mountain Series bulk tank hose with regulator, but it functions the same way as a generic adapter and hose with any brand of high-pressure stove... it still doesn't make the stove work on low pressure.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:29 PM   #9

The downside of not being able to hook up to the trailer quick connect with some appliances may matter to some or many campers. As I indicated in my earlier post, our mountain series camp chef Everest will work on the small tanks. So I knew it would hook up to my 11lb. tank. I wanted a small lightweight stove. I have two large Rocky Mountain Range stoves and a high pressure Camp Chef with a 60,000 BtU burner for deep fat frying or corn boiling. They are good tools but too bulky for my style of camping. Just like my 16 inch Lodge Dutch Oven, not practical for backpacking at 38 lbs but good for Boy Scout troop shenanigans. My theory is that If you can figure out a work around and want the price of the components involved, go ahead and do it. The headache is to learn there is no work around or it’s economically not feasible. Nothing like a steak on a wood fire heat source. Either in a basket, on a grate, in a cast iron pan or as my boss showed me once, throw it right on the coals and scrape the ashes off later, or not.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The downside of not being able to hook up to the trailer quick connect with some appliances may matter to some or many campers.
Yes, but not being able to use the low-pressure quick connect is not the same as not being able to use the trailer's propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
As I indicated in my earlier post, our mountain series camp chef Everest will work on the small tanks. So I knew it would hook up to my 11lb.
Right, and it will also hook up to the 20-pound tanks on the Escape, but this is true of every propane appliance... even the dreaded Colemans.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #11

In Boy Scouts, to eliminate the use of Coleman fuel, we used a device very similar to these. It was made by Century and worked well. We ordered them from Campmor at the time. That was in the early to mid 90’s

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mr-h...pane-convertor

It’s another work around for white gas Coleman stoves. We used a hose hooked up to the 20 lb propane tanks. If you’ve ever managed about 20 hungry teenage boys you know how hot food, and hot water for hot chocolate as well as the old drip grind coffee pot for the coffee hound adult leaders is essential in soothing the savage beast. Gotta have it.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi all,
We love our outside kitchen and mostly just use the inside for prep. I've been a little disappointed with our propane stove the Camp Chef Ranger II. The burners are very hot and it doesn't adjust easily.
Sorry to hear the Ranger II is not working well for you. We have found it to be a very nice stove to cook on and only purchased it because I have 2 brothers who also have the same stove and are very happy with it. We find it has even heat and simmers very well.

You probably know this but there are controls under the stove on each burner to adjust the air fuel mixture which have a big affect on the performance of your stove. They do need a bit of adjustment if you move from sea level to higher altitudes, but they are easy to reach while the burners are on.

If you already are aware of this I don't really have anything else to offer. Good luck.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote