More Water Pump Woes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2024, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,638
More Water Pump Woes

I have done a search and read lots but nothing seems to fully address my problem or at least cure it. I watched Reace's video too.

Last year I developed a problem where my water pump often ran on after the taps were shut off. I have removed and adjusted the set screws according to the recommended amounts. In all cases I have backed the pressure adjustment screw off to no avail.

A few things;
- On city water all works great.
- On pump water does get through but the pressure is low, I can easily block the flow out a tap with my finger. I tried it on city but not a chance blocking the flow.
- On pump there is a lot of air with the water.
- I did the priming trick according to Reace but seeing I have some water flow could that even be the issue?

Some other looking online suggests a leak in the system somewhere, but there is nothing when on city.

I am headed out for a 12 day stint on Thursday evening or Friday morning and will be using pump water other then when at the Escape Rally.

I am very close to buying a replacement. I the SHURFLO 4008-101-A65 the right one?

Thoughts, idea?
Thanks.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 06:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ron in BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 9,048
We had a thing the other day, first time, when M. heard a sound, air? and the pump was slow to shut off.

I opened the hatch and listened as the pump ran. I thought that I could hear air and I reached down and pushed on the top of the pump and the sound stopped. The top has several screws around the perimeter and two were on the loose side. Snugged them up and all is well.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,638
Last year mine was slow to shut off, but at first eventually stopped shutting off. I tried tightening the 8 screws and barely got them to move at all. Pressing and beating (lightly) on the top has done nothing.

It makes sense that it is somehow the pump, maybe that filter unit but I have the cap on tight.

Possibly pull the pump apart to have a look see, but I can't imagine what it is.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 5,414
I had the same problem & was not able to adjust it away, although I had good pressure when running. I lived with it until the back flow valve in the pump quit & I kept overflowing my fresh water tank when on city water. A new pump solved both problems. Took the old one apart - a fair amount of fine "grit" throughout - I cleaned it up & keep it as a spare. My replacement was a SHURFLO 4008-101-A65. Some come with a new filter - probably a good idea.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:42 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I had the same problem & was not able to adjust it away, although I had good pressure when running. I lived with it until the back flow valve in the pump quit & I kept overflowing my fresh water tank when on city water. A new pump solved both problems. Took the old one apart - a fair amount of fine "grit" throughout - I cleaned it up & keep it as a spare. My replacement was a SHURFLO 4008-101-A65. Some come with a new filter - probably a good idea.
I am going to go the route of getting a new pump and filter off Amazon. I may try only the filter swap first and if by chance it works, return the pump. I really need this to work and soon. I know there has to be a place air is getting in and there was a wee drip where the filter connected onto the pump, and the leak was very tiny, but air is thinner.....
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:51 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Trailer: 2016 Transit
Posts: 8
By coincidence, I watched an escape video today in which he separated the two halves of the pump to display the diaphragms and said that debris could cause the problem. OP could probably fix it by taking it apart and cleaning it out.
bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclist View Post
By coincidence, I watched an escape video today in which he separated the two halves of the pump to display the diaphragms and said that debris could cause the problem. OP could probably fix it by taking it apart and cleaning it out.
I might try that. I will have some time this weekend as we will be with family and friends at our rec land. I am still putting in the order and will return it or at least the pump if I get it working.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ron in BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 9,048
I see a big bonfire coming this weekend.

Good luck with the pump.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Suisun City, California
Trailer: 5.0
Posts: 125
Not sure if you tried this, but my two cents is open all the valves hot and cold. Everything shower the outside shower the sink the toilet if you can keep your foot on the pedal. Turn on the pump and then slowly start shutting everything back down. I’m guessing you got air in there somewhere or like the previous gentleman said those diaphragms sometimes get a little bit of crud in them and it won’t shut all the way. You might want to get another pump anyway, just for a spare, eventually it’s gonna go out if you use it a lot good luck
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:17 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mary F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Travis County, Texas
Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Posts: 808
FWIW, we replaced ours 1.5 years ago (while traveling through Oregon… or maybe Washington).
__________________
Mary F Onward, through the fog!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:32 AM   #11
Site Team
 
MrLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Posts: 1,110
Jim, see the thread I started yesterday:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post468694

My problem seems to have been a crack in the strainer/filter clear plastic.

If you just get a strainer, look at the number on it. Surflo has about six different styles.
__________________
• "The Molded Fiberglass Obsession," https://walkingcreekworld.wordpress....ass-obsession/
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:58 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I see a big bonfire coming this weekend.
You know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
Not sure if you tried this, but my two cents is open all the valves hot and cold. Everything shower the outside shower the sink the toilet if you can keep your foot on the pedal. Turn on the pump and then slowly start shutting everything back down. I’m guessing you got air in there somewhere or like the previous gentleman said those diaphragms sometimes get a little bit of crud in them and it won’t shut all the way. You might want to get another pump anyway, just for a spare, eventually it’s gonna go out if you use it a lot good luck
The thing is that with using city water everything is fine. When I switch to pump the air and low pressure start up when the lines are clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Jim, see the thread I started yesterday:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post468694

My problem seems to have been a crack in the strainer/filter clear plastic.

If you just get a strainer, look at the number on it. Surflo has about six different styles.
I have pulled the cap off and it looks fine. The first thing I will do when I get the new pump and filter tomorrow is to swap out the filter and see. The filter I am getting does not have the twisting cap connection to the filter, but a solid one to turn the whole thing onto. The other side is a hose connection which the trailer uses.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 05:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,638
The replacement pump and filter arrived last night.

Today I took the pump apart and when I pressed on the check valve and it was stuck a bit for whatever reason. It did not take a lot of pressure to free it, but it kinda popped free. It then pushed in real easy after that.

I put it all together and it pretty much worked fine but there was a wee water leak where the nut on the filter attached to the pump. I tightened it really hard too. I took the filter off and put on a new one that had the male threads built into the body of it and a hose connection on the other side. Everything worked great and I adjusted the pressure check valve about 1/2 turn clockwise from running on.

So, it was two issues. The first being the stuck check valve, the second a failing connection on the filter.

I'm still packing the new pump to take just in case, but I feel quite confident it will not be needed. Still.......
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:43 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: ..., Texas
Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Posts: 83
Make sure you have the correct (identical) thread type on your pump, lines, fittings, etc. Different makers use different threads; NPT vs NPTF vs IPF.

I have an older Seaflow pump with NPT threads on the intake and NPTF on the exhaust side; they are dissimilar enough to cause air intrusion into the lines and the pump to sporadically cycle.
Attached Thumbnails
npt-vs-nptf.jpg  
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:47 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,638
There are no pipe threads on the Shurflo pump parts. They use a type of flare fitting, no tape or dope required.

For great and no leaks now. 😁
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:39 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Posts: 8,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The replacement pump and filter arrived last night.

Today I took the pump apart and when I pressed on the check valve and it was stuck a bit for whatever reason. It did not take a lot of pressure to free it, but it kinda popped free. It then pushed in real easy after that.

I put it all together and it pretty much worked fine but there was a wee water leak where the nut on the filter attached to the pump. I tightened it really hard too. I took the filter off and put on a new one that had the male threads built into the body of it and a hose connection on the other side. Everything worked great and I adjusted the pressure check valve about 1/2 turn clockwise from running on.

So, it was two issues. The first being the stuck check valve, the second a failing connection on the filter.

I'm still packing the new pump to take just in case, but I feel quite confident it will not be needed. Still.......
Hi: Jim Bennett... You just have to stop using so much Lime in de Coconut. There's enough in the water to gum up the pump!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie (usually)
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'16 Ram Eco D. 4X4 Laramie Longhorn CC & '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas (Not the Virgin Islands) Ontario
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 01:34 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 15,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... You just have to stop using so much Lime in de Coconut. There's enough in the water to gum up the pump!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie (usually)
No lime, no coconut, just the yummy sipping stuff.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:51 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
CharlesinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: 50 miles S of Atlanta, Georgia
Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Posts: 311
This is the best filter screen to use, as it allows you to swivel the filter bowl to where you need it (down?) and not suffer with where the thread stops you at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XM3IP2



Charles
__________________
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO PacBrake six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previously, 2008 Thor Freedom Spirit 180, SOLD! 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome, SOLD!
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 07:25 AM   #19
Site Team
 
MrLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
This is the best filter screen to use, as it allows you to swivel the filter bowl to where you need it (down?) and not suffer with where the thread stops you at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XM3IP2



Charles
Mine is like that, but has a bayonet stub on the left, not threads. See here:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post468694
__________________
• "The Molded Fiberglass Obsession," https://walkingcreekworld.wordpress....ass-obsession/
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 12:56 PM   #20
SRS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Grand Junction, Colorado
Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Mine is like that, but has a bayonet stub on the left, not threads. See here:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post468694
Mine also has a barbed or bayonet style connector on the left side. Filter bowl up.
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.