Mysteries of the Propane Regulator - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
You are correct the excess flow valve is in the hose connector not in the OPD itself. In the OPD valve is the Discharge Check Valve and I was of the mistaken belief that they were one in the same.

This covers both the Discharge Check Valve and the Excess Flow Valve. https://www.respondertraining.com/wp...ropane-101.pdf

Interesting tidbit from the above article.

Attachment 51355
So very true. The OPD valve is associated with the Acme connectors that screw on by hand counter clockwise and will restrict flow. OPD valves will still accept the older POL hose fittings which don’t restrict excess flow that screw in counter clockwise and require a wrench to tighten. I have a (flame throwing) torch I use to start the fire when I want to burn brush and yard debris. It originally had a POL fitting. But I wanted to be able to connect it easily without a wrench. When I installed an Acme fitting, I got a flame similar to that of a butane lighter. I was, shall I say, too frugal to buy one of the high flow Acme connectors that typically cannot be found in the big box stores, so I drilled out an Acme connector. The torch now works as it should, and the tank is easy to connect. And if I use the highest setting, it burns propane like there is no tomorrow.