Mysteries of the Propane Regulator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Mysteries of the Propane Regulator

We are new owners of a 2020 Escape 5.0 TA, which we took delivery of on August 18th, and have been living mostly full-time in since then. We are thus far mostly in the mountains of North Carolina, and with fall weather upon us, have started using the furnace in recent days. We just noticed a curious feature of the propane regulator, namely, it went ‘red’ while connected to two full propane tanks and the stove and furnace stopped working. After tinkering with things to no avail, I decided to switch the tanks around (ie, Left to Right and Right to Left). Suddenly, the regulator went ‘green.’ I switched it to the other tank (recently filled), and it went ‘red,’ but the stove and furnace started working properly, indicating the propane was drawing from the tank even if the regulator showed it wasn’t. What gives? Any others with this experience?
Volkovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Need a new regulator. Sometimes the rubber diaphragm acts up, especially with colder weather. Call Escape and they'll send you a new one.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #3

Thanks Charlie, will do!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
When on the Mexican gold coast in Feb, the temps never went below 65°F. Our regulator also showed red 2 days after filling the propane tank. We switched tanks, still red, then removed the tank with 2 days use and shook it, finally tapped the regulator and it showed green. This is not just a cold weather problem.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkovoy View Post
We are new owners of a 2020 Escape 5.0 TA, which we took delivery of on August 18th, and have been living mostly full-time in since then. We are thus far mostly in the mountains of North Carolina, and with fall weather upon us, have started using the furnace in recent days. We just noticed a curious feature of the propane regulator, namely, it went ‘red’ while connected to two full propane tanks and the stove and furnace stopped working. After tinkering with things to no avail, I decided to switch the tanks around (ie, Left to Right and Right to Left). Suddenly, the regulator went ‘green.’ I switched it to the other tank (recently filled), and it went ‘red,’ but the stove and furnace started working properly, indicating the propane was drawing from the tank even if the regulator showed it wasn’t. What gives? Any others with this experience?
You said you have two full tanks. Did you just change both of them? It could be that there was a rush of propane out of the tank that triggered the safety shut off in the tank.

I wouldn't mess with your regulator unless something like this happens again. When opening propane tanks open them slowly so that the tank's OPD valve excess flow safety shut off doesn't engage.

See: I'm not getting any gas from my tank. Why?
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkovoy View Post
After tinkering with things to no avail, I decided to switch the tanks around (ie, Left to Right and Right to Left). Suddenly, the regulator went ‘green.’ I switched it to the other tank (recently filled), and it went ‘red,’ but the stove and furnace started working properly, indicating the propane was drawing from the tank even if the regulator showed it wasn’t. What gives? Any others with this experience?
Red doesn't mean propane isn't flowing. Red means propane isn't flowing from the tank it is pointing to.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Something I learned here is to open the valves slowly. I can't remember why it should be done but it worked for me. Of course, I had already ordered another regulator so now I have a spare. That ensures my original regulator will never fail.

I'm still on my original regulator with my 2002 Holiday Rambler and have never opened the values slowly. Go figure!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Something I learned here is to open the valves slowly. I can't remember why it should be done but it worked for me.
The reason is the OPD valve on the tank has an excess flow shut off. If propane flows out of the tank too quickly the OPD valve reacts that there is a leak in the system and shuts off the flow of propane.

This is one of the reasons why you should have the burners off on your BBQ when you turn on the tank.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The reason is the OPD valve on the tank has an excess flow shut off. If propane flows out of the tank too quickly the OPD valve reacts that there is a leak in the system and shuts off the flow of propane.

This is one of the reasons why you should have the burners off on your BBQ when you turn on the tank.
I had this problem with mine, brand new, which leads me to a question: how do you prevent that from happening when the switchover occurs? Seems like the rush of propane then would turn off the tank.

Oddly, mine worked fine when I first turned it on new full tanks, but after awhile went off. That time it required the slow turn on to work again, on either tank. Then it has stayed on with no problems but I'm wondering what happens when it switches over.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Regulations!!!

Hi: All... Quite often these days I see red. Both tanks were empty... very rare. Even after a fill and sloe turn on still seeing red. Turned it manually back and fro and green as grass. Just needed an altitude adjustment. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I had this problem with mine, brand new, which leads me to a question: how do you prevent that from happening when the switchover occurs? Seems like the rush of propane then would turn off the tank.

Oddly, mine worked fine when I first turned it on new full tanks, but after awhile went off. That time it required the slow turn on to work again, on either tank. Then it has stayed on with no problems but I'm wondering what happens when it switches over.
There shouldn't be a rush of propane when it switches over. The low side pressure shouldn't drop during switch over. When it switches over it should be transparent, as there is already propane in the system.

I suppose it is possible if you had multiple high flow propane appliances operating when it did the switch over it might trigger the excess flow shut off, but, that should be the exception.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
I'm reading that many turn both tanks on at the same time - is that correct?

Switching from the open but empty tank to the open but full side tank when the empty tank shows red. I've been going to empty on the open tank, turning it off and then turning on the full tank and switching over. I figure it's a safety thing to only have one open tank at a time.

A minor disruption in what I'm doing perhaps (been doing that for years with the patio BBQ by having to change tanks manually), but you still have to manually flip the switch on the dual tanks.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
I'm reading that many turn both tanks on at the same time - is that correct?
Yes, that is why you have an auto changeover regulator, so when one tank runs out in the middle of the night, it automatically switches to the other tank. This can only happen if both tanks are open.

Quote:
Switching from the open but empty tank to the open but full side tank when the empty tank shows red. I've been going to empty on the open tank, turning it off and then turning on the full tank and switching over. I figure it's a safety thing to only have one open tank at a time.
Why do you feel this is safer? The system is designed to have both tanks open while they are connected to the regulator.

Quote:
A minor disruption in what I'm doing perhaps (been doing that for years with the patio BBQ by having to change tanks manually), but you still have to manually flip the switch on the dual tanks.
You don't have to manually flip the switch to keep the propane flowing. When one tank runs out the regulator will automatically switch to the other tank. You only have to flip the switch so you can remove the empty tank.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #14
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Yes, that is why you have an auto changeover regulator, so when one tank runs out in the middle of the night, it automatically switches to the other tank. This can only happen if both tanks are open.
Didn't know this Being a guy, my default has always been to do as I've done in the past since it (probably) works without it killing me
Why do you feel this is safer?
See above answer
The system is designed to have both tanks open while they are connected to the regulator. Good to know...now
You don't have to manually flip the switch to keep the propane flowing. When one tank runs out the regulator will automatically switch to the other tank. You only have to flip the switch so you can remove the empty tank.
Thanks TTM...I've learned my daily something new to me for Monday 19 Oct.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Red doesn't mean propane isn't flowing. Red means propane isn't flowing from the tank it is pointing to.
Close... red means that the selected tank does not have sufficient pressure to trip the switchover mechanism. That selected tank may still have propane (but it's too cold to produce enough pressure) and it may even still be supplying the regulator (because the indicator may not completely reliably indicate the internal valve position).

This is a common auto-changeover regulator problem. Even if the regulator itself is working properly, the automatic changeover valve on top may not work correctly when propane pressure is low due to cold weather.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Something I learned here is to open the valves slowly. I can't remember why it should be done but it worked for me.
Quote:
The reason is the OPD valve on the tank has an excess flow shut off.
Yes, it's the effect of the excess flow valve, but that valve is in the tank end of the hose from the tank to the regulator, not in the valve assembly on the tank... not that this matters to how they work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, it's the effect of the excess flow valve, but that valve is in the tank end of the hose from the tank to the regulator, not in the valve assembly on the tank... not that this matters to how they work.
You are correct the excess flow valve is in the hose connector not in the OPD itself. In the OPD valve is the Discharge Check Valve and I was of the mistaken belief that they were one in the same.

This covers both the Discharge Check Valve and the Excess Flow Valve. https://www.respondertraining.com/wp...ropane-101.pdf

Interesting tidbit from the above article.

Click image for larger version

Name:	excess flow valve.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	51355
Old 10-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

This is a common auto-changeover regulator problem. Even if the regulator itself is working properly, the automatic changeover valve on top may not work correctly when propane pressure is low due to cold weather.
Part of the reason that I'm a one tank at a time person. I'd rather have a tank run out than rely on an auto switchover working. Use propane long enough and you get a pretty good idea of when it's about due to run out. Used it that way for 40 years before I got a propane system with auto switch over.

The only exception for me would be knowing the tank in use was likely going to empty and it was freezing out. For overnight I might switch to the full tank to prevent the furnace going out, but that's the only case I'd use auto switch over.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #19

Thanks TT, after consulting with the folks from Escape, they advised closing both tanks and putting the switch in the middle position, waiting 10 minutes, then slowly opening both tanks at the same time, and then turning on the desired tank. This generally seems to address the problem, though it does occur fairly regularly and the red/green bubble does move pretty slowly. However, this seems generally in line with the issue you describe.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #20

Ultimately, it seems our regulator on our brand-new 5.0 is defunct. Given how great the trailer is otherwise, I suspect it is a quality-control fluke.