Mystery solved - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Mystery solved

Ever since we picked up our camper I have been annoyed that the grey water indicater did not work. It almost never read more than half full even when water was backing up in the shower.
Yesterday both the tanks were reading full for once so I went out to drain. Joanne told me to drain the grey tank first--when I did the black tank indicator went right to the bottom.
AHA! I guess the leads are switched. Now I can either remember which is which, or fix it.
When I was getting inspected I asked the tech to find out why my cable had never worked. He told me that all of the connectors were shorted out. Fixed it and we have cable.
Now I just have to fix the Maxx fan and refrigerator light.
Dick
Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Ever since we picked up our camper I have been annoyed that the grey water indicater did not work. It almost never read more than half full even when water was backing up in the shower.
Yesterday both the tanks were reading full for once so I went out to drain. Joanne told me to drain the grey tank first--when I did the black tank indicator went right to the bottom.
AHA! I guess the leads are switched...
Congratulations on the diagnostic success!

By the way, normal practice is to dump the black tank first, so that the relatively less icky grey water can flush out the sewer hose.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Congratulations on the diagnostic success!

By the way, normal practice is to dump the black tank first, so that the relatively less icky grey water can flush out the sewer hose.
I usually do,but Joanne had a "feeling".
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
My goodness ... that's a whole basket full of issues. I would hope that their QA isn't dropping off.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I'd definitely send feedback to ETI along with the receipts from the tech who fixed things. Include your VIN so they can trace records to who built what.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd definitely send feedback to ETI along with the receipts from the tech who fixed things. Include your VIN so they can trace records to who built what.
Yeah and it still should be under warranty, so they should be reimbursing you for your repair costs. They really need to know about that and if they can figure out who messed it up, even better.

Was the cable connection shorted out from the beginning? Not good!

I don't know how you could test the tank probes ahead of time, but you'd think they'd hook up a cable connection as part of their testing before the trailer was released to you.

Glad you figured out the tank situation - that would be awfully frustrating.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Wondering how they found out the coax was shorted out.
I have antenna service in the loft, but not in the dinette, very frustrating! I will have a chance to connect to cable in a couple of weeks, guess I'll see what happens.
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #8

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I don't know how you could test the tank probes ahead of time, but you'd think they'd hook up a cable connection as part of their testing before the trailer was released to you.
5.0TA
28 Gal. Fresh Water Tank
28 Gal Grey Tank
30 Gal Black Tank
Just guessing about a tank sensor/wiring test since I don't actually have a trailer yet. Possibly something like this would work with whatever the accuracy of the sensors and indicators is. The important thing being the level indicators increase and decrease linearly for the appropriate tank.
1. Empty Grey, Fresh, black water tanks
2. All water outlets off, all sensors level indicators off (0%)
3. While filling Fresh water tank, watch fresh water sensor level indicator increase linearly 0 to 100% while other level indicators off ..if ok then sensors/wires on fresh water tank are ok and in correct order.
4. Turn on kitchen faucet to drain fresh water into grey water tank and watch grey water level indicator increase linearly 0 to 100% while fresh water tank indicators decrease linearly 100% to 0% and black level indicator remains off....if ok then sensors/wires on grey water tank are ok and in correct order.
5. Assuming you can apply water to toilet to fill the black water tank, fill slowly and watch black water level indicators increase linearly 0 to 100% ..if ok then black water sensors/wiring ok and in correct order.

If you wanted to check the accuracy of the sensors/indicators then using an inline flow meter set for gallons (or quarts) could be used when filling the tanks in the previous steps or gallon containers.

With regard to cable, a simple short and continuity test could be a minimal test.
happy testing....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
They make simulators for testing level probes . You can run a test on the probe and wiring for continuity and accuracy . There is no need to fill any of the tanks in order to test the probes . In my experience shorted coax cables are usually the product of improperly installed F connectors .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:32 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21
We have always bought previously owned RV's and never had an issue. Could it be the previous owners worked all those issues out before they sold it? We picked up our Escape Tuesday and our first two days were spent traveling and fixing plumbing. First we could not get water out of the kitchen or bathroom faucet, but water did leak out the connections for the shower head. Fortunately, after checking the forum, someone suggested removing the aerator. Worked - except for the hot water in the bathroom. We needed to remove the entire faucet for that (needed to fix the shower head anyway). Look at what we pulled from the hot water side! Don't think I want to drink the water!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
We have always bought previously owned RV's and never had an issue. Could it be the previous owners worked all those issues out before they sold it? We picked up our Escape Tuesday and our first two days were spent traveling and fixing plumbing. First we could not get water out of the kitchen or bathroom faucet, but water did leak out the connections for the shower head. Fortunately, after checking the forum, someone suggested removing the aerator. Worked - except for the hot water in the bathroom. We needed to remove the entire faucet for that (needed to fix the shower head anyway). Look at what we pulled from the hot water side! Don't think I want to drink the water!
Ugh! Major bummer and especially on your way home. I'd contact ETI tomorrow - maybe someone will answer their phones (or emails) on a Saturday. Definitely on Monday.

That's one of the problems of doubling production, or trying to. You have to train new employees and all that. But stuff like that should be checked before the trailer leaves their premises.

I know I'll be pretty pissed off if that happens with our trailer.

I know I'm fairly new to this forum (less than a year), compared to others, but I don't remember reading about this happening before. And I've read a lot of threads on this forum while researching the trailers before deciding to order.

Good luck!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
About the only problem we had bringing our 21 home was a small leak at the water pump. Just snugging down the coupling took care of that. As for the fresh water tank, we use it strictly for washing and bathing. Cooking and drinking is with bottled water. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Might be a good thing for people to do when they go to the plant to pick up their new trailers, make sure you have ETI, or yourselves, hookup to some water and test the systems during or after the walk through. Wouldn't imagine wet testing the plumbing is part of the QC process before a trailer goes out the door.

I had my trailer delivered, we had heavy dust and little bits of trash in the EMS (Surge Protector) that were causing it to chatter, had to be from leaving the cover off during the trailer build.

All the little things like this I found I reported to ETI in an email after going through the trailer.

Used to drive me crazy when folks would report a computer problem then tell you you "it's been like this for months". Can't fix what you don't know is broke.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21
At orientation we were told they had put a little water in the tanks to check the limes and pump, but the tanks were empty during orientation because when you travel it is recommended to have them either empty or full so they don't move around ,
If you do a search for water pump issues you will find information about removing aerator.. Most appeared to pertain to flushing tanks after winterizing. Since ours just finished production and it is spring, it was never winterized. I do not know how long it would have taken to solve the problem with out the forum to turn to..
We always use bottled water for drinking and cooking, I just was thinking with a new trailer with new fresh water tanks it may not be a concern. I guess there is no point in purchasing a water filter? Seems like shutting the barn door after the horses got out.
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There's a wide variation in people and what is acceptable to them and what bothers them for what seems like forever. Personally, we sanitize the water system once or twice a year with a little bleach, religiously use a filter on the water supply, even when filling at home and drink and cook with bottled water. I wouldn't let problems in the first few days of ownership affect my fun for years. Perhaps having oversight for dozens of public restrooms, drinking fountains and numerous public swimming pools has colored my tolerance limits, I'd suggest you do the best you can with it and move on. But that's just me.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_a_hike View Post
At orientation we were told they had put a little water in the tanks to check the limes and pump, but the tanks were empty during orientation because when you travel it is recommended to have them either empty or full so they don't move around ,
If you do a search for water pump issues you will find information about removing aerator.. Most appeared to pertain to flushing tanks after winterizing. Since ours just finished production and it is spring, it was never winterized. I do not know how long it would have taken to solve the problem with out the forum to turn to..
We always use bottled water for drinking and cooking, I just was thinking with a new trailer with new fresh water tanks it may not be a concern. I guess there is no point in purchasing a water filter? Seems like shutting the barn door after the horses got out.
Sorry Mary and Kevin . I don't blame you for being upset .Let Escape know . I am sure all this is going to work itself out . Don't know if you are home yet . Drive safe and if there is anything I can do to help , please let me know . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
There's a wide variation in people and what is acceptable to them and what bothers them for what seems like forever. Personally, we sanitize the water system once or twice a year with a little bleach, religiously use a filter on the water supply, even when filling at home and drink and cook with bottled water. I wouldn't let problems in the first few days of ownership affect my fun for years. Perhaps having oversight for dozens of public restrooms, drinking fountains and numerous public swimming pools has colored my tolerance limits, I'd suggest you do the best you can with it and move on. But that's just me.
Dave
True, but someone should not be expecting to work on plumbing right away. Stuff like that can and should be checked at the factory before the customer is even told it's ready to be released to them. A new owner should expect to be able to use their trailer properly and completely once they haul it away from the factory. If you've ordered a trailer with cable connections or a television, you expect them to work when you turn them on. You assume that it's been checked by the QA/QC person. Lots of people are hauling their trailers quite a ways home from the factory and they would like it to work for them on their way home. And not everyone can fix that stuff on their own. I know I can't.

I know nothing is perfect, things need to be maintained and things will wear out over time. But I do expect my brand new, fresh out of the box (so to speak) trailer to be fully functioning in all aspects. I expect all the electrical outlets to be checked, same with brake lights, turn signals, the a/c, furnace, frig and everything else on it. That's my tolerance level.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
True, but someone should not be expecting to work on plumbing right away. Stuff like that can and should be checked at the factory before the customer is even told it's ready to be released to them. A new owner should expect to be able to use their trailer properly and completely once they haul it away from the factory. If you've ordered a trailer with cable connections or a television, you expect them to work when you turn them on. You assume that it's been checked by the QA/QC person. Lots of people are hauling their trailers quite a ways home from the factory and they would like it to work for them on their way home. And not everyone can fix that stuff on their own. I know I can't.

I know nothing is perfect, things need to be maintained and things will wear out over time. But I do expect my brand new, fresh out of the box (so to speak) trailer to be fully functioning in all aspects. I expect all the electrical outlets to be checked, same with brake lights, turn signals, the a/c, furnace, frig and everything else on it. That's my tolerance level.
I agree with you fully! That's my tolerance level also. That's also why we are planing on spending 2 weeks in an ROD not far from Sumas. So we can check everything out and be able to take it back to Chillwack if any problems crop up. As we are wintering in So.Cal. And Az. And won't be back home for six months
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

I totally agree with you Laura . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree too. People don't expect to drive a brand new car off the lot with liquid leaking from a hose, or the radio cutting in and out due to a faulty connection. I'm fairly certain the tolerance would be pretty low in those situations and see no real difference with buying a new Escape.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote