New 19' water heater won't stay lit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
New 19' water heater won't stay lit

Any suggestions. New 19'. Suburban wh SW6DE lights off, shuts off after 5 mins, won't reignite until it sits for 15 mins with gas off. Fires up again, maybe. Quits again after 5mins if it does, and so on. Tried a myriad of remedies. no luck. Escape says to call Suburban. Ideas.?
travelinmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Appliances are covered by their own warranties. I would call Suburban as ETI said and I wouldn't tinker in any way that could void the warranty.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Appliances are covered by their own warranties. I would call Suburban as ETI said and I wouldn't tinker in any way that could void the warranty.
Yep. Wouldn't tinker even if I thought I knew how. Thought maybe someone out there has had the same issue with the new Suburban. We're in lockdown so good time to troubleshoot from home.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinmojo View Post
Any suggestions. New 19'. Suburban wh SW6DE lights off, shuts off after 5 mins, won't reignite until it sits for 15 mins with gas off. Fires up again, maybe. Quits again after 5mins if it does, and so on. Tried a myriad of remedies. no luck. Escape says to call Suburban. Ideas.?
Allow me to ask what is probably a dumb question. Is there any way that 5 minutes is enough time to bring the water temp up to setting and therefore shuts itself off? After 15 minutes the water temp drops enough to allow it fire up again and the cycle repeats? I don't have my trailer yet and have zero experience with trailer water heaters so I get a pass if this is a dumb question.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Mike View Post
Allow me to ask what is probably a dumb question. Is there any way that 5 minutes is enough time to bring the water temp up to setting and therefore shuts itself off? After 15 minutes the water temp drops enough to allow it fire up again and the cycle repeats? I don't have my trailer yet and have zero experience with trailer water heaters so I get a pass if this is a dumb question.
Nope. It's a six-gallon tank. The water heater will shut off after the water temp rises but five minutes isn't long enough. I have the gas/electric version. The 120 doesn't work either. The tap water doesn't even get warm. I give up. I've been dealing with RV water heaters for 20 years and this problem is a first. Suburban can deal with it after tomorrow. aaaargh.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
My guess is a bad control board...since you are under warranty let a dealer figure it out but here are the links anyhow.
https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-5208.../dp/B003G9J4RC

The universal Dinosaur Electronics board works too and is likely better made:
https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Elec...0002MG2IK?th=1
Old 03-27-2020, 07:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Try this . Open the outside water heater door and than see if it stays running. I had to do that with mine. No one could fix it. Suburban was no help what so ever. Didn’t even want to give me the time of day.
Between the RV Doctor in Tucson and camping world in Syracuse I got 300 dollars into it and no fix.
Finally I drilled a 5/8 in hole in the water heater door at flame level and has worked fine since. I know it’s a crazy story,but has worked for over a year now.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #8

I picked my E19 up 3/23. No hot water either. Realized after talking to Escape that it was winterized and the water was cut off. May not be your problem but it was an easy fix after turning the by-pass cut off for both the hot and cold imputs to the water heater.
Glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glens View Post
I picked my E19 up 3/23. No hot water either. Realized after talking to Escape that it was winterized and the water was cut off. May not be your problem but it was an easy fix after turning the by-pass cut off for both the hot and cold imputs to the water heater.
Let's clarify that, the bypass is for the supply which is cold water going in and hot coming out. In bypass mode the water does not enter the heater but bypasses it. There is only one bypass but there are 2 valves, supply and return.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
I saw this on a friends unit. He did not turn off his bypass valves so was heating an empty tank. Open the outside cover. Turn on the pump and open the pressure valve on top of the tank. If no water then tank is empty. Correct bypass valve positions. With system pressurized and tank full water should come out of pressure valve when you open it
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Pix. Pressure relief valve top centre and valve open. This assumes same heater.
Attached Thumbnails
pressure relief.jpg   pressure relief open.jpg  

Tags
suburban, water heater