New one to me: City H2O connection overfilled fresh tank - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
New one to me: City H2O connection overfilled fresh tank

I figure there must be a check valve or something after the water pump?

Anyway, I was hooked up to city water, and all of a sudden my fresh water tank started overflowing out the fill nozzle.

I looked under the bed, I don't see any water inside. Only thing I can figure is that the water went backwards through the water pump?

Until I figure it out, I will leave the city water disconnected. Tank also looks like it ballooned a little bit, not sure if the bottom is usually flat, but it isn't now!

2013 Escape 19
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I believe it's actually part of the city water inlet.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

If so that sounds like a PITA to replace.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post

Anyway, I was hooked up to city water, and all of a sudden my fresh water tank started overflowing out the fill nozzle.

I looked under the bed, I don't see any water inside. Only thing I can figure is that the water went backwards through the water pump?

Until I figure it out, I will leave the city water disconnected. Tank also looks like it ballooned a little bit, not sure if the bottom is usually flat, but it isn't now!

2013 Escape 19
There is a check valve in the pump itself. If it gets stuck in the open position, water from the city connection will from through the pump into the fresh water tank. This was addressed in a recent thread. If the following procedure does not correct the problem, the check valve will need to be cleaned or replaced.

Disconnect city water connection.

Pressurize system using 12 volt pump

Turn off pump

Open faucet to release pressure

Reconnect city water and check to see if fresh
water tank is still filling
Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
There is a check valve in the pump itself. If it gets stuck in the open position, water from the city connection will from through the pump into the fresh water tank. This was addressed in a recent thread
Here are a couple of threads from last year:
Water tank overflow
Fresh Water Tank Filling When Connected to City Water
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I believe it's actually part of the city water inlet.
There's one there, too, but it serves only to keep the trailer's pump from sending water out the (not in use) city water inlet... not the problem here. One check valve for each water source; when the valve for the source not in use fails, water from the current source goes out the other connection.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Tank also looks like it ballooned a little bit, not sure if the bottom is usually flat, but it isn't now!
There should be a vent on the water tank, both to allow air out while filling, and to allow air in when water is used; in this case it looks like the fill hose and port are serving that purpose.

The tank should not balloon due to being filled, even by the wrong path, because the vent (fill in this case) prevents the tank from become pressurized. The weight of a full tank of water does make the bottom of the tank sag somewhat... my guess is that's all you're seeing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:46 PM   #7

I think you are right on the sag. I never really studied the shape of the water tank, so I didn't have a reference point to consider. Check valve in pump makes a lot of sense. I'll keep using tank water until I am around long enough to watch it in action.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The weight of a full tank of water does make the bottom of the tank sag somewhat...

confirmed on my mostly empty fresh tank. the middle part. the sides by the strapping are flat as far as I can tell.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Put twenty gallons of water in your belly and see if it don't sag some. It's natural and has to give. I've never seen good plastic tanks fail without some help. Pointed impact, extreme sloshing, and old man winter are likey culprits. With me its lack of exercise.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There should be a vent on the water tank, both to allow air out while filling, and to allow air in when water is used; in this case it looks like the fill hose and port are serving that purpose.

The tank should not balloon due to being filled, even by the wrong path, because the vent (fill in this case) prevents the tank from become pressurized. The weight of a full tank of water does make the bottom of the tank sag somewhat... my guess is that's all you're seeing.
Brian, it does seem somewhat strange to me that water is escaping through the fill hole. Would there be any possibility that this could be the result of a blocked vent or even a restricted vent?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 AM   #11
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
While on the road, I have contacted Escape and Reace has walked me through a work-around or fix. If nothing has worked so far, you may want to give Escape a call. Good luck!
Phil
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Brian, it does seem somewhat strange to me that water is escaping through the fill hole. Would there be any possibility that this could be the result of a blocked vent or even a restricted vent?
I can tell you, a steady, pretty heavy stream was pouring out the fill hole, and that was with the cap in place. Good thing it leaks by.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
I can tell you, a steady, pretty heavy stream was pouring out the fill hole, and that was with the cap in place. Good thing it leaks by.
The two times my fresh water tank did what your is doing, it came out of the vent. I didn't see anything flowing out of the fill hole.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
The two times my fresh water tank did what your is doing, it came out of the vent. I didn't see anything flowing out of the fill hole.
Maybe you are right. I was so concerned seeing the water flowing out, I sprinted to the main city water hookup to close the water valve. Flow stopped immediately. Then it was look under the bed, see if there was any water. Kind of wish the rear bed was on a spring loaded platform. But it was DRY...Whew!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:22 PM   #15

Contacted Escape. They believe it is the check valve inside the pump. I'll be home in a couple of days, pull the pump and reset it.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Contacted Escape. They believe it is the check valve inside the pump. I'll be home in a couple of days, pull the pump and reset it.
Before pulling the pump and disassembling it to clean or reset the check valve, go through the steps I suggested in post #4 above. Often, this procedure will "force" the check valve shut thereby correcting the problem.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #17

Yes, I tried step 4 a couple of times, I'll try it again as its easy to do versus pulling the pump, particularly while I am camping.

One of my rules from being an engineer is try all the easy stuff first, regardless of probability of success. So a 1 minute test that can revive a stuck check valve is a winner. What I saw in my career was people would migrate to the most likely fix, which might mean spending a lot of time and effort. Even if the easy stuff was less likely, a 10% chance that a simple fix could work was always worth trying versus spending time waiting for parts, $$ on the parts, and time to install. But others always fell into the trap "its always this", (whatever the most common problem was).

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Yes, I tried step 4 a couple of times, I'll try it again as its easy to do versus pulling the pump, particularly while I am camping.
Thanks!
Hey Bill

Just a FYI in case Jim did not mention it to you. Your pump was replaced just a couple weeks before you purchased your trailer so if there is a problem it should be under warranty.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I am having the same problem on a 1 year old pump. We tried the simple steps mentioned above a few times and still no luck. Someone mentioned cleaning the valve. Does anyone know how to do that on a Shur flo pump?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Here's one video, I'm sure there are more if you google it like I did.