Newbie electric cord question.. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Newbie electric cord question..

So when power pole is further than 25' from trailer, can you join 2 25' 30 amp cords or is a 50' cord required?
Old 01-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Join them if you got them. If it’s wet I like to keep the connection up off the ground or taped with a good electrical tape or you can get a snap around the cords “pod” to keep the connection dry. If you’re not pulling a lot of amps, you can use a conventional drop cord with an adapter too. 12/3 weight. They make extension cords which remain more pliable in cold weather if that’s a possibility too.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
There is no reason that you can’t join them. Try to keep the connection out of the muck.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
When joining two cords, I usually slip the connectors into a gallon sized zip lock bag and then tape it well. Because the need for two cords has been a rare occurrence for me, I figure using a plastic bag once in a while rather than purchasing a commercially manufactured cord connection protector that takes up space is more economically feasible. In the last five years I recall needing more than one cord only once.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I received my new 21c trailer last Tuesday to replace a 31’ Airstream we recently sold. The new 25’ power was a little short to reach our 30 amp receptacle. Ordered a new 25’ extension from Camco through Amazon, received it a couple of hours ago. Stuck 5hem together works like a charm. Lol may not need it traveling but need it at home.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
I received my new 21c trailer last Tuesday to replace a 31’ Airstream we recently sold. The new 25’ power was a little short to reach our 30 amp receptacle. Ordered a new 25’ extension from Camco through Amazon, received it a couple of hours ago. Stuck 5hem together works like a charm. Lol may not need it traveling but need it at home.
I would strongly advise you to bring it with you on trips. I went to Scamp Camp in Sebring, FL (3 hours from my home but we try to attend annually) many years ago and found the power pedestal in my campsite was 6 feet beyond the reach of my cord. My spouse got in the truck and ran to Walmart and got a 25-foot Camco extension for around $35, returning 50 minutes later. Well, I thought, at least we now have power and this shouldn’t happen again now that we have an extension. Fast forward a year to the same event, different campsite, same situation with the power pedestal. Aha, I say. But when I open the truck toolbox I realize I didn’t pack it.

<Expletive Deleted> brilliant!

Off she goes to Wally World for the second year in a row, another $35. Fortunately, in some instances, you can fix stupid because one of the two now occupies a PERMANENT spot in the toolbox along with the detachable umbilical cord. Now I always have 50-feet of electrical connectivity available. The second extension cord was put to use; it stays inside the 3-sided carport where I store the trailer.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #7

Thank you folks! I have been buying stuff off FB marketplace for my anticipated 5.0 delivery. Yesterday I bought a 25' 30 amp cord and a 50 to 30 amp adapter for $30, both were new and unused. I keep my eye out for things I think I will need.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Thank you folks! I have been buying stuff off FB marketplace for my anticipated 5.0 delivery. Yesterday I bought a 25' 30 amp cord and a 50 to 30 amp adapter for $30, both were new and unused. I keep my eye out for things I think I will need.
Do you have the attached cord or the removable cord coming on your Escape?

If you have the removable cord you might also want one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Adapte...1495065&sr=8-5

This allows you to use a regular heavy gauge extension cord for convenience if needed when you only have access to a 15 or 20A circuit. Also if something happens to the twist lock on the main cord at least you have a way of plugging in until you replace.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:56 AM   #9

Had one of those pigtails 30/15 with airstream, and a 50 amp conversion. Escape also sent a 15 amp not a pigtail but a single adapter.
They also sent a Camco Dominator 15’ sewer hose with attachments + cheapie 20’.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #10

I will be getting the detachable cord. I thing escape gives a 30-15 amp adapter. If not I surely will get one.
I also will buy a sewage hose to replace the escape cheap one. Are those sewage hose stands a useful/necessary addition?
Old 01-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #11

Quote:
I will be getting the detachable cord. I thing escape gives a 30-15 amp adapter. If not I surely will get one.
Escape does give you an adapter like this:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plug-Ada...SABEgLp__D_BwE
Old 01-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcboyd View Post
Congrats on your new 21C! I recognize you from Trawler forum..
Old 01-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Congrats on your new 21C! I recognize you from Trawler forum..
Actually the cruiser forum.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
I also will buy a sewage hose to replace the escape cheap one. Are those sewage hose stands a useful/necessary addition?
OK, in my opinion, NO, unless you are in a seasonal sight for an extended period. First off, you should never attach the sewer hose and stick the other end in the sewer hookup, then open and leave the valve open. So if you deploy the hose long term, you wait until the black tank is nearly full then dump.
If you are staying in a campground with sewer connection for a week or two, you will likely not have to empty the black tank until you leave, and the gray, if you shower in the trailer, maybe two or three times. In reality, the sewer hose is something else to trip over, and it is a much larger diameter than the water hose or electrical cord. Sure, the sewer hose is likely to sag in places when you dump, but it takes little effort to lift the hose starting at the trailer’s dump valve to get the “stagnant” portions in the sewer hose to move toward the sewer connection. This is essentially what the stand does, but it takes up storage space and is just another step in dumping tanks, which isn’t rocket science. Anyway, that is my opinion; others may disagree.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
OK, in my opinion, NO, unless you are in a seasonal sight for an extended period. First off, you should never attach the sewer hose and stick the other end in the sewer hookup, then open and leave the valve open. So if you deploy the hose long term, you wait until the black tank is nearly full then dump.
If you are staying in a campground with sewer connection for a week or two, you will likely not have to empty the black tank until you leave, and the gray, if you shower in the trailer, maybe two or three times. In reality, the sewer hose is something else to trip over, and it is a much larger diameter than the water hose or electrical cord. Sure, the sewer hose is likely to sag in places when you dump, but it takes little effort to lift the hose starting at the trailer’s dump valve to get the “stagnant” portions in the sewer hose to move toward the sewer connection. This is essentially what the stand does, but it takes up storage space and is just another step in dumping tanks, which isn’t rocket science. Anyway, that is my opinion; others may disagree.
That makes perfect sense. I would be a 3-5 day camper and won't need to deploy sewer hose until either leave CG or full tank. Thank you for that !
Old 01-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Are those sewage hose stands a useful/necessary addition?
I use mine nearly every time I'm camped for more than a day or two. It keeps the sewer hose out of the dust, dirt, mud, pine needles or rocks. Some of those can puncture a sewer hose. I'd rather it didn't. Mine goes back into the cardboard box it came in, it's about a foot square. My trailer isn't so stuffed that I can't find a place for it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I use mine nearly every time I'm camped for more than a day or two. It keeps the sewer hose out of the dust, dirt, mud, pine needles or rocks. Some of those can puncture a sewer hose. I'd rather it didn't. Mine goes back into the cardboard box it came in, it's about a foot square. My trailer isn't so stuffed that I can't find a place for it.
Thanks Donna D..So i guess I will see how long it takes me to fill a tank and need to deploy sewer hose. In the mean time, I'll keep my eye open for a discounted one...
Old 01-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Join them if you got them. If it’s wet I like to keep the connection up off the ground
I keep my extension cord on one of these reels.

Bayco KW-110 Cord Storage Reel with Center Spin Handle

The reel is enough to keep the connection off the ground and out of standing water. I've never had the need to use extra tape or waterproofing. However, if it is raining or there are water droplets on the plugs when you disconnect it, it would still be prudent to turn the breaker off at the power post before unplugging the two cords;
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes I bought one of those expandable stands for my sewer hose and I am really glad I did; on several occasions the geometry of the setup is such that I have 8-12 feet to connect to the sewer hookup; in those cases having that nice gradual slope makes emptying it and cleaning it a breeze!! Everything flushes out nicely and no low spots to catch anything. I ended up buying this style in the link (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Sidewin...al-text&sr=1-1) because it takes up so little room when stowed but I have seen folks do with just some boards or piece of eavestrough, etc...
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote