Norcold DC558 compressor fridge power consumption - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2022, 04:40 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would suggest getting a wireless unit, relatively inexpensive, for less than $20 monitor both refer and freezer...https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Refriger...ps%2C97&sr=8-4
Old 08-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would suggest getting a wireless unit, relatively inexpensive, for less than $20 monitor both refer and freezer...https://www.amazon.com/AMIR-Refriger...ps%2C97&sr=8-4
I considered getting one of those, but batteries don't work very well at temps like 0F (-18C), where a good freezer should be.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:26 PM   #43

I replace mine yearly and have had good luck with Duracell https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Copp...95549295&psc=1
Old 08-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
I replace mine yearly and have had good luck with Duracell https://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Copp...95549295&psc=1

I decided to order and try this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XD68GX6/ whcih suggests using Lithium AA's in the senders... I've seen that before, the non-rechargeable Lithium batteries do ok at cold temps (different from lithium rechargables which do not do well at freezing temps)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:31 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ahhh Lithium- try the drinking fountain at Lithia Park in Ashland,
OR. Supposedly calms the mind.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We use lithium non rechargeable on our temp monitors and I use them on my Browning game camera. They seem to work well even in the dead of winter and last a long time in the camera. (Thousands of images). We take them out of the temp sensors when they are not being used.
I like energizer rechargeables AA’s for bait bucket aerators, weather radios. etc. for clocks and other simple AA uses I generally run Duracells or Energizers. I have some Eneloop rechargeables too. Not sure of that spelling but they are ten years old or older.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-07-2022, 09:38 PM   #47

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Quote:
Seems like an option. Would only be on the fridge section so batteries would last longer than if in a freezer. Looking at reviews maybe a year out of a set of batteries? Still would be nice to have logging capabilities though.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:42 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While more expensive, the Sensor Push system lets you see temperature & humidity on your cell phone or iPad. Tracking data can be downloaded. I have 3 - one in the refrigerator, one in the freezer, and one in my medicine storage box. Batteries are lithium & need to be replaced between one & two years.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #49

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I installed a temperature probe on the outside of the trailer behind the storage box. I wanted it in the shade. I can see the temperature on my phone or on the trailer information screen.

I would like to add a refrigerator temperature probe but getting the wire from the front dinette bench to the refrigerator is a challenge for me so I am considering one of these.

I do like the ability to monitor the temperature anywhere I have internet or phone service but, I may just put a thermometer inside the refrigerator and read it when I open the door to get something. I don't particularly want to add dedicated temperature screen inside the trailer due to limited real estate.

Alan, did you drill a hole through the refrigerator yet? Did you discover a vacuum type insulation in the wall? Was there a big hiss as air got sucked in? Just kidding but I would like to know what you did and what you discovered.
Bob
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:43 AM   #50

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While more expensive, the Sensor Push system lets you see temperature & humidity on your cell phone or iPad. Tracking data can be downloaded. I have 3 - one in the refrigerator, one in the freezer, and one in my medicine storage box. Batteries are lithium & need to be replaced between one & two years.
Jon, are you using the basic "HT1" model for your purposes?

Do I understand correctly that the 'logged' data can be exported from the phone app as CSV for emailing from your phone so you can archive / manipulate that in Excel on a laptop?

Thanks for the link and info, looks like a useful device for many purposes!
Old 08-08-2022, 10:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Jon, are you using the basic "HT1" model for your purposes?

Do I understand correctly that the 'logged' data can be exported from the phone app as CSV for emailing from your phone so you can archive / manipulate that in Excel on a laptop?

Thanks for the link and info, looks like a useful device for many purposes!
Yes & yes. When I purchased mine that was the only model they had. The CSV file works fine with Excel or Numbers on my Mac.

I didn't purchase the gateway, but that might be helpful to those that want to check temperatures on line or outside of Bluetooth distance.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Yes & yes. When I purchased mine that was the only model they had. The CSV file works fine with Excel or Numbers on my Mac.

I didn't purchase the gateway, but that might be helpful to those that want to check temperatures on line or outside of Bluetooth distance.
Great, thank you.

I can't envision using the gateway myself but that's a neat capability.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #53

Quote:
Great, thank you.

I can't envision using the gateway myself but that's a neat capability.
Stick a Sensor Push in the trailer, use the gateway combined with your router to send you an alert when the temperature exceeds a set amount (for those that leave animals in the trailer?) It can be set to alert low or high limits.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #54

Quote:
Stick a Sensor Push in the trailer, use the gateway combined with your router to send you an alert when the temperature exceeds a set amount (for those that leave animals in the trailer?) It can be set to alert low or high limits.
Yeah, lots of interesting / useful possibilities with this system it would seem.

For me it's just interest in 'typical / trend' data about fridge/freezer performance vs ambient (inside the trailer and/or on the outside wall near the fridge), not particularly needing any 'real time' alarms.

It seems 3 of the basic sensors, moving the 'ambient' as wanted, would facilitate that quite nicely both when set up static and when underway towing.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:14 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Alan, did you drill a hole through the refrigerator yet? Did you discover a vacuum type insulation in the wall? Was there a big hiss as air got sucked in? Just kidding but I would like to know what you did and what you discovered.
Bob
Not yet. It's in off site storage and I'm just getting my project list together for when I pick it up for our next trip. Still leaning towards drilling it. I'm 99.9% sure everything is "clear". Sealing it from moisture intrusion is the only real concern, as I work in an industrial environment and have seen how cold, insulated pipes can get saturated if there's a poor barrier and the insulation was poorly spec'd. Looking at the seams and holes in the inside I don't think that things are real tight anyway, plus I'm pretty sure I can get the back and inside sealed back up. Probably overthinking it, but like I said I've seen saturated insulation before.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #56

Please let me know what you find when you drill.

One of the Bluetooth options people have mentioned are appealing.This is another one. I like this one because it interfaces with my Victron stuff but I would rather just have a probe although the inclusion of air pressure, humidity and motion alarm sound like they might be useful.

https://ruuvi.com/
Old 08-08-2022, 02:29 PM   #57

When I needed to route a wire outside of the refer I used the drain hole as an access point.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:10 PM   #58

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Yeah, lots of interesting / useful possibilities with this system it would seem.

For me it's just interest in 'typical / trend' data about fridge/freezer performance vs ambient (inside the trailer and/or on the outside wall near the fridge), not particularly needing any 'real time' alarms.

It seems 3 of the basic sensors, moving the 'ambient' as wanted, would facilitate that quite nicely both when set up static and when underway towing.
I have two of the SensorPush HTP.xw extreme accuracy units and they perform flawlessly. I've used them to monitor and trend fridge and freezer temps in the trailer. I having a little trouble recalling how well the Bluetooth signal reached my phone in the tow vehicle but I believe it was fine.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #59

I looked for a drain hole and don't have one but there is a plastic grommet in the back wall about mid point. It is 5/64" diameter which is too small for the probe wires. Maybe it could be drilled out.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:40 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I looked for a drain hole and don't have one but there is a plastic grommet in the back wall about mid point. It is 5/64" diameter which is too small for the probe wires. Maybe it could be drilled out.
Yes, I noticed that one also. Actually my sensor wire is pretty close to that size. It doesn't seem to be vapor or watertight, plus you look at the way the plastic panels overlap further up in the fridge, and I'm thinking that being super tight on the inside isn't critical. I pulled the plug and there appears to be insulation behind it, and I suspect I could just poke through from the inside to the outside. Only problem is it would come out a little high, above where the exterior vent starts, and access for sealing the cable on the exterior might be tight access.