One final question, build sheet deadline Monday - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Henry, it might help if we go back to basics.
Basics is what we need.

My wife and I have never been to a camp site. Not one. Yup.... never camped. Not in a tent with sleeping bags and not in a trailer. Never.

Therefore, we have never seen shore power let alone plugged in...... never seen a 30 amp cord. Male/ female plugs we do not know..... we must research it.

Researching all. All. All.

My wife and I are retiring from our jobs December 30, 2017.

Then we clean up our house and clean out our house.....

then we sell the house....

and go pick up our 5.0TA...... two dogs with us also(labs).

Then full timing for..... 2 days? 2 weeks....? 2months? or two years..... we do not know.

Sooooo we thank everyone on this forum.

You and all the others on this forums have been sooooooo great.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Basics is what we need.

My wife and I have never been to a camp site. Not one. Yup.... never camped. Not in a tent with sleeping bags and not in a trailer. Never.

Therefore, we have never seen shore power let alone plugged in...... never seen a 30 amp cord. Male/ female plugs we do not know..... we must research it.

Then full timing for..... 2 days? 2 weeks....? 2months? or two years..... we do not know.

Good for you! That is amazing. My hat is off to you for stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something completely new.

There are alot of things to learn about RVing, to be sure. This forum is one great place to pick all that up. I'm excited for you!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Do you think this one would work? Can one convert this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-515PR...s=edison+plugs
That will work. You just have to be careful of the bulkiness of the housing, because as has been mentioned, the receptacles on most generators are pretty close together. Maybe something like this Moss plug (more square instead of round) would give you more room:

https://www.mossled.com/products/hbl8115vb

Once you've picked up a suitable plug, run a piece of 12 or 14 gauge wire between the neutral and ground screws. That's all there is to it.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #24

Quote:
That will work. You just have to be careful of the bulkiness of the housing, because as has been mentioned, the receptacles on most generators are pretty close together. Maybe something like this Moss plug (more square instead of round) would give you more room:

https://www.mossled.com/products/hbl8115vb

Once you've picked up a suitable plug, run a piece of 12 or 14 gauge wire between the neutral and ground screws. That's all there is to it.
Understood.

I assume I could use a very short extension cord to the suitable plug should both the square and the round plugs be to large.

-------------------------

I think I will get two dogbones..... 15 to 30 and 50 to 30.

The 50 to 30 for the hot camp site which has a failed 30 amp outlet yet still has a working 50 amp outlet. Rare... but has happened I have been told.

Any thoughts?

Also:

Do I have male and female correct with these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUU5YA...OWYH4MPO&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUTDCA...OWYH4MPO&psc=0

Old 12-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Understood.

I assume I could use a very short extension cord to the suitable plug should both the square and the round plugs be to large.

-------------------------

I think I will get two dogbones..... 15 to 30 and 50 to 30.

The 50 to 30 for the hot camp site which has a failed 30 amp outlet yet still has a working 50 amp outlet. Rare... but has happened I have been told.

Any thoughts?

Also:

Do I have male and female correct with these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUU5YA...OWYH4MPO&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUTDCA...OWYH4MPO&psc=0

Yes, the items in both links are correct. And a 50 to 30 amp adapter is a handy thing to have.

And yes, you can use a small extension cord like the ones they use on power strips when those bulky power transformers block the adjacent plug. But I'd just rig one up that doesn't require a cord.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Yes, the items in both links are correct. And a 50 to 30 amp adapter is a handy thing to have.

And yes, you can use a small extension cord like the ones they use on power strips when those bulky power transformers block the adjacent plug. But I'd just rig one up that doesn't require a cord.
Thank you.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
On my way to the Depot today and will pick up a plug to make one of these. This thread made it all understandable of what is needed, thanks.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Basics is what we need.

Henry, Everything makes so much more sense when you see it first hand. I'd be happy to give you a once-through on the basics of our 2017 21' (mechanicals are very similar to the 5.0TA) if you wouldn't mind taking a road trip to visit us in central Alabama. There are folks closer to you, though (ETI can give you contact information for central Tennessee), and you would get to see a variety of set-ups if you'd attend a fiberglass rally. The next one close to us is in mid-March over St. Patrick's Day weekend (Green Eggs & Ham Rally), at Gunter Hill Campground on the western outskirts of Montgomery, AL. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Henry, Everything makes so much more sense when you see it first hand. I'd be happy to give you a once-through on the basics of our 2017 21' (mechanicals are very similar to the 5.0TA) if you wouldn't mind taking a road trip to visit us in central Alabama. There are folks closer to you, though (ETI can give you contact information for central Tennessee), and you would get to see a variety of set-ups if you'd attend a fiberglass rally. The next one close to us is in mid-March over St. Patrick's Day weekend (Green Eggs & Ham Rally), at Gunter Hill Campground on the western outskirts of Montgomery, AL. Dale
Thank you for the invite and ideas. ETI did get us the name and phone number for a 2017 5.0TA owner here in Tennessee. We drove the 2 plus hours one way and confirmed the LOVE we have for our future trailer.

Yet like a chid in a toy store..... ones eyes are big... but very little actual touch and play..... then time runs out.

But as we study things for the build list and otherwise combined with the fact that we have no training and or experience...... well....

This is So Much Fun.

Thank you ..... Thank you.....Thank YOU!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
You can use any generator if you bypass the EMS. But if you want to use the EMS while on generator power, you'll need a generator that bonds neutral to ground, or the EMS won't provide power to the trailer.

The Honda 2000 watt generators have a floating neutral, so you will need a gen plug if you want to use the generator with the EMS.

I like the power going through the EMS whether on shore power or generator power, because of the protection it provides. So, an inexpensive bonding gen plug is the way to go IMHO.
Another thing I like about using the EMS with the generator is that I can watch how many amps the generator is producing. We have a Honda 2000i and I have overloaded it by running the AC while there is a heavy battery charge. Now when I start the generator, I allow time for the initial heavy battery charge to be complete before starting the AC.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Honair, I had never towed anything when I bought my first Chalet Aframe 10 years ago. There's a learning curve, of course, but my experience was if I went slowly and tried to think moves out in advance, I did just fine. And you're right--this IS fun. I'm having as much fun with my build sheet and dreams as I did with that tiny one. Of course, there are a lot more choices now, but that's a big plus in my book.
h2owmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Honair, I understand and admire your willingness to try a lifestyle so radically new. The first time I knowingly saw an Escape trailer was on Sunday July 9 when I pulled into the factory parking lot and saw them thru the fence. I was there for a July 10 orientation on my 5.0 TA after having it on order for 11 months. I had never used a camping trailer or RV and only had tent camping experience although I have pulled sailplane trailers around a lot. They are 33 ft. long but much easier to park.
I planned on camping in BC for several weeks but the province was on fire with what seemed like evacuations everywhere and I "assumed" all the campgrounds in Washington would be filled with campers like me who were changing their vacation plans. I needed to mail a letter for a real estate transaction so I googled the Lynden, WA post office, parked a few blocks away on Front Street in a beautiful tree lined neighborhood and after mailing the letter I sat in the trailer and had an OMG, what have I done and what do I do now moment. Then I gave three trailer tours to pedestrians who had never seen or heard of an Escape and decided to try Birch Bay State Park hoping there would be an open camp site. Bingo, there were many sites available so I stayed there for three nights. The campground didn't fill up until Thursday afternoon when I was leaving. The rest of the pickup trip was great and I really love the 5.0TA. I am still trying to get more competent at parking it though. Also, NEVER FORGET to use the wheel chocks before unhooking the trailer, these beasts will go wherever gravity tells them to the instant they are unhooked.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote