One final question, build sheet deadline Monday - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
One final question, build sheet deadline Monday

Would it be a good idea to have a 20 amp duplex receptacle fed by 12/2 wire and run to exterior termination to boot my 2400 watt Yamaha generator into for appliance using high wattage to supplement the 30 amp service in the tt? New to tt and camping so may be getting carried away. Also if this is a good idea I am fairly mechanically inclined and possibly could add circuit later. Sales rep at ETI was not sure they would do this during construction but willing to ask on Monday. Any thoughts positive or negative? I realize this circuit would not be protected by the panel and breaker.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Would it be a good idea to have a 20 amp duplex receptacle fed by 12/2 wire and run to exterior termination to boot my 2400 watt Yamaha generator into for appliance using high wattage to supplement the 30 amp service in the tt? New to tt and camping so may be getting carried away. Also if this is a good idea I am fairly mechanically inclined and possibly could add circuit later. Sales rep at ETI was not sure they would do this during construction but willing to ask on Monday. Any thoughts positive or negative? I realize this circuit would not be protected by the panel and breaker.
There's really no need to "supplement" the shore power. 30 amps is enough to run basically everything at the same time. For generator operation when you're not hooked up, I would just use the shore power cord and call it a day.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I agree with Robert - plugging the trailer's 30 amp power cord into the generator will likely be all that you will need.

I did do one thing on my 21 that you might want to consider. I have the inverter with a transfer switch so all receptacles are switched to the inverter when it is on. To save some wear & tear on the transfer switch contacts, I had Escape add a 120V receptacle that is tied directly to the converter (not through the transfer switch). I use it for an electric heater when I have hookups. Probably not necessary, but the electric heater is one of the highest current appliances I use, it will never be used with the inverter, so bypassing it makes sense (at least to me!)
Old 12-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Team

One more thing I always mention: I highly recommend you get the Progressive Industries Electrical Management System (EMS) as an option. It's called a "surge suppressor" in the options list.

BUT, it's likely that your Yamaha generator has a floated neutral - in other words, neutral is not bound to ground. The EMS expects it to be bound because that's what it would see if you are connected to shore power. So, in order to use the generator WITH the EMS, you'll want to use a 20 amp gen plug on one of the unused receptacles on the generator. This will bind neutral to ground and the generator will work with the EMS. There are some places that sell the gen plugs, but they are very easy to make yourself. You just get a dummy 15 or 20 amp “Edison” plug and wire a jumper between the Neutral (white) and Ground (green) screws with a tiny piece of 12 or 14 gauge wire.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #5

Trailer: None now
If his is the Yamaha EF2400iSHC he will need the plug you mention or turn off the Progressive Industries EMS.
I have this generator and it runs the air conditioner and can even handle having the battery charger come on. But not the 120v water heater or microwave. You need to turn air conditioning off when you run either of those.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I have generally found that we can run two high-draws but not three. Have to look at the EMS for the amps used by each item. And maybe A/C by itself.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I have generally found that we can run two high-draws but not three. Have to look at the EMS for the amps used by each item. And maybe A/C by itself.
That's what I would expect. You can either do that or go with a 3000W generator, and deal with the big increase in size and weight.

I certainly would not want to lug one of those around.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If his is the Yamaha EF2400iSHC he will need the plug you mention or turn off the Progressive Industries EMS.
Thanks Karen and Ken for the confirmation. Seems most of the inverter generators fall into that category.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' and 2017 F150 3.5 eco boost
Thanks to all who replied, great information. The Yamaha I have is the 2400 watt ISHC and I did specify the load management option (surge protector) on my build sheet. I will make up or pick up one of the plugs mentioned. I will not worry about or request the extra 20 amp receptacle per your advice.
Thanks again.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Thanks Karen and Ken for the confirmation. Seems most of the inverter generators fall into that category.
Our much older Honda Generator (1000) reguires us to shut off surge (bypass) and we also use the plug . It is not a inverter generator . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Our much older Honda Generator (1000) reguires us to shut off surge (bypass) and we also use the plug . It is not a inverter generator . Pat
Yes, that would make sense Pat. Any generator (not just an inverter generator) with a floating neutral would need the plug in order to use it with the EMS.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
What about the newer Honda 2000 generators..... we have on our build sheet the surge protector option.

Do we just plug the generator into the shore power port.... or do have the issue mentioned above in that we need to turn off the shore protector and or use the 20 amp modification?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:10 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
What about the newer Honda 2000 generators..... we have on our build sheet the surge protector option.

Do we just plug the generator into the shore power port.... or do have the issue mentioned above in that we need to turn off the shore protector and or use the 20 amp modification?
You can use any generator if you bypass the EMS. But if you want to use the EMS while on generator power, you'll need a generator that bonds neutral to ground, or the EMS won't provide power to the trailer.

The Honda 2000 watt generators have a floating neutral, so you will need a gen plug if you want to use the generator with the EMS.

I like the power going through the EMS whether on shore power or generator power, because of the protection it provides. So, an inexpensive bonding gen plug is the way to go IMHO.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You can use any generator if you bypass the EMS. But if you want to use the EMS while on generator power, you'll need a generator that bonds neutral to ground, or the EMS won't provide power to the trailer.

The Honda 2000 watt generators have a floating neutral, so you will need a gen plug if you want to use the generator with the EMS.

I like the power going through the EMS whether on shore power or generator power, because of the protection it provides. So, an inexpensive bonding gen plug is the way to go IMHO.
So what actual items of HARDWARE do I need to hook up a Honda 2000 to a 5.0TA and keep the EMS on?

What cords, plugs etc. What type of male and female ends to the cords?

Thank you.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #15

Trailer: None now
Quote:
So what actual items of HARDWARE do I need to hook up a Honda 2000 to a 5.0TA and keep the EMS on?

Thank you.

Post #4 has what you need http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post226639
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Thank you.
You need the GEN PLUG that bonds the neutral as Robert has said. They are unavailable everywhere I checked so you’ll need to make one like described in post #4. This is simply plugged into one of the Honda 2000 plugs. Then assuming you don’t need it further from the trailer just use your 30amp cord from the trailer and plug it in to the other generator outlet with a 30 to 15 amp adapter. If you need it further then purchase a 30 amp extension. Make sure you make a low profile gen plug because it will be tight plugging both items in next to each other on the generator.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55223-15.../dp/B00192JGA8

http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Cabl...extension+cord
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:

Thank you.
Henry, it might help if we go back to basics. Think of a generator as shore power that's not on a stationary pole, but portable. It has female receptacles, just like the power pole at a campsite.

But, the power pole at a campsite has a 30 amp female receptacle that you plug your trailer's 30 amp power cord into. The 2000 watt generators don't have a 30 amp receptacle. They usually have a couple 120V 15/20 amp receptacles as in photo 1 below.

That means you need a way to connect the trailer power to the generator. The easiest way is to use a 30 amp to 20 amp adapter. The 30 amp female end connects to your trailer power cord, and the 15/20 amp male end plugs in to the generator. They are sometimes called a "dogbone". See photo 2 below.

Now that you're providing power to the trailer, if you want to use it with the EMS, you need to bond neutral to ground. That's where the GEN PLUG comes in. It gets plugged in to the unused receptacle on the generator.

That's as simple as I can make it.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #18

Thank you,,,,, thank you,,,,, thank you.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #19

Do you think this one would work? Can one convert this one?

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-515PR...s=edison+plugs

Old 12-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Here's what I purchased off the web for our Honda 2000i generator:
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I.../dp/B01BYSFQSW
I think I paid under $10 for it, but I'm not sure if it is still available. It's easy and cheap to make one as described above.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote