Outdoor shower - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 08:04 AM   #81

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPaget View Post
After doing some extensive searching for a proper outdoor shower set up for our 17b I found some stuff that may work.
It seems that the garden hose to shower head fittings is an odd adapter. I was consistently confusing myself with the male and female ends and the 3/4 and 1/2 inch...

As we have the newer style shower with the "hose gun" which is very awkward to actually use as a shower, this is my plan.

Use the existing blue hose with this adapter https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I "think" I can attach the shower hose and head from inside to that adapter.
I'm going to use https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/tisken-...hite-50400307/
This to get the shower up on the trailer side.

I'm working on a privacy curtain that attaches with the suction hooks, but that's a bit later.

We also bought these to go on the ground for a better flooring option. We've been previously standing on the floor mats of the truck, which while it works perfectly, it's nice to make things look nice. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/runnen-...ined-90234226/
I have something like this...mine has nice mesh attaching the floor to the walls though. It is a bit heavy but has everything I need in one bag. I even used it at home when construction shut down our bathroom for a couple of days.
https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Delu...Q/?tag=19gh-20
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #82
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
I had showers installed on both sides of the 19. We use an outdoor kitchen setup on the passenger side and wash dishes there. I drain into a portable 5 gallon grey water tank that I dump into a drain as necessary, so no mess around the campsite. The drivers side shower is used to rinse shoes feet etc. so nothing but clean water on the ground.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:11 PM   #83

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Outside shower

We have a 2016 new style E21 with a outdoor shower Does anyone else have a problem getting the hose fitting to go in ? What a pain it is to get it in or out what tricks are there to make it work properly we only use it maybe 1-2 times each year because it’s such a pain
We had same fitting on our boat I replaced with a regular hose bib works so much better Problem is I don’t know if a hose bib would work Jim W
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have a lot of quick connect air line fittings. Operate the same. Yes, I've found the one supplied difficult to operate also. I suspect that the knurling isn't as deep as the other fittings I have. Hard to get a good grip on it to move it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #85

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Last summer when we were camped on Lake Huron I was thinking that it would be useful but when I saw it in action I realized how much easier dishwashing outside would be with the shower -- and we do a lot of outside dishwashing.
I'm curious about what you do with your bucket of grey water when doing dishes outside . . . ? Are you somewhere where you can dump on the ground or do you pour it into your inside drain system? Do you do this at RV campgrounds with services or only when boondocking?
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I'm curious about what you do with your bucket of grey water when doing dishes outside . . . ? Are you somewhere where you can dump on the ground or do you pour it into your inside drain system? Do you do this at RV campgrounds with services or only when boondocking?
We routinely do dishes outside (along with cooking, eating, ...) with a couple of old porcelain pans (you know, the white ones with the red stripe around the perimeter).
We have about ¼ to ½ gal. max. in the wash one, so it's easy to dispose of, and the rinse one waters any likely plant nearby.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:27 PM   #87

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Okay, there are two different methods to discard gray water in the wild. White water rules apply.

1. The Grand Canyon method. You simply drain your gray water in the water (assuming a river is there) and strain off the solids and then discard them properly. The river being the fastest way out of the ecosystem.

This method is largely use in the lower canyons far away from alpine rivers, like the Grand Canyon. Read river bottom water.

2. The Salmon River method. You take your bucket and strainer above highwater mark (you must be able to identify the high water mark) and then strain your water into adequate substrate (meaning Earth) and collect the solids. Allowing the ground horizons (A, B and maybe C) to filter the gray water suitably before entering the water column.

That's how NPS does it. And please do not get me started on groovers.

Tim - out
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #88

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Okay, there are two different methods to discard gray water in the wild. White water rules apply.

1. The Grand Canyon method. You simply drain your gray water in the water (assuming a river is there) and strain off the solids and then discard them properly. The river being the fastest way out of the ecosystem.

This method is largely use in the lower canyons far away from alpine rivers, like the Grand Canyon. Read river bottom water.

2. The Salmon River method. You take your bucket and strainer above highwater mark (you must be able to identify the high water mark) and then strain your water into adequate substrate (meaning Earth) and collect the solids. Allowing the ground horizons (A, B and maybe C) to filter the gray water suitably before entering the water column.

That's how NPS does it. And please do not get me started on groovers.

Tim - out
Great description and advice . . . but what about if you're in a park with basic services . . . ? A populated campground . . . ? It's not boondocking. It's a hybrid where you want to wash your dishes outside, but you're surround by other campers in a somewhat dense environment. What's the protocol in that situation? I suppose you could just pour your pans of cleaning water into your sink drain - and maybe that is the answer - but is it considered OK to pour grey water on the ground in that scenario?
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We have a 2016 new style E21 with a outdoor shower Does anyone else have a problem getting the hose fitting to go in ? What a pain it is to get it in or out what tricks are there to make it work properly we only use it maybe 1-2 times each year because it’s such a pain
We had same fitting on our boat I replaced with a regular hose bib works so much better Problem is I don’t know if a hose bib would work Jim W
Hi: Jennykatz... A little lube usually makes things go together easier. I've never had the nerve to use our old style outdoor shower!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #90

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grey water

Quote:
Great description and advice . . . but what about if you're in a park with basic services . . . ? A populated campground . . . ? It's not boondocking. It's a hybrid where you want to wash your dishes outside, but you're surround by other campers in a somewhat dense environment. What's the protocol in that situation? I suppose you could just pour your pans of cleaning water into your sink drain - and maybe that is the answer - but is it considered OK to pour grey water on the ground in that scenario?
Policy varies
1. Some places it is ok to deposit in the woods or back off of the site or around trees and bushes
That policy is not common and is usually posted as such

2. No way no how probably the most common. Use the dump station with a bucket or a rolling blue tank or tear down, move trailer and move back in.
Pretty common and usually in the camp rules posted at the pay station

3. Specified grey water drains throughout the campground so you can walk over and dump grey water down a drain and rinse down with a provided hose. Nice feature but not real common. One of the best I’ve ever used was Salt Fork state park in SE Ohio. Mid thigh height concrete pedestals with a drain made easy dumping and were located along the paved road
throughout the CG.

4. No rule posted: kindness, consideration for the next guy, environmental responsibility odor, Wild animals all need to be considered. Ask yourself the logical questions.
I camped in a large grassy site a couple years ago where a camper had just moved out. No pad to park on you could simply “park between the posts”. I put my knees on the ground to crank the stabilizers down. Stood up with wet knees on a dry day. That’s right, the last guy had drained his grey water where I was about to set up.
Moved the trailer to a site across the road. Not cool.

There are probably other policies, nobody has seen them all.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #91

Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jennykatz... A little lube usually makes things go together easier. I've never had the nerve to use our old style outdoor shower!!! Alf
Well who was that taking a naked shower about midnight, next to your trailer at the Falls last September then? They were singing Sioux City Sue.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #92

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When we head up North and are plan on backwoods camping , I carry 2 - 5 gallon buckets with lids . I fill 1- 5 gallon bucket with gray water then pour that water through a strainer into the other 5 gallon bucket . I use the strained gray water to extinguish our campfire .and properly dispose of any strained matter
Starting a forest fire is a bigger concern for me than a little gray water being dumped in a fire pit . Using clean potable water to extinguish a fire doesn’t make sense when your fresh water supply is limited
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #93

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Sudsing up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Well who was that taking a naked shower about midnight, next to your trailer at the Falls last September then? They were singing Sioux City Sue.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... IDK... Iowa's away at the time in REM sleep Eh?
Found a perfectly good S/S dinner knife at the base of a tree once. How'd ya suppose that got there Eh? Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Find & follow the rules. For example, at the Long Term Visitor Areas in Quartzsite, NO gray water can be dumped anywhere but at the dump station. Drive a few miles to the 14 day areas such as Dome Rock, and a ranger will tell you it is OK.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #95

Trailer: Still looking
Hi! Ontario provincial parks do not allow grey water to be dumped at the site - use the comfort station/privy to dump grey water As a tent camper (until I purchase a delightful fg trailer) I appreciate not having to worry about someone's grey water attracting bears to my site

As for outdoor showers, they are also banned...not sure if that includes the foot/dog washing stuff...Not sure how other provinces are run

Hope the info helps
greentravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #96

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Here are the various methods I have used:
A) Waste water drains, where provided. (Common in the areas I camp.)
B) Campground flush toilets, if I believe they have adequate facilities. (Some campgrounds I use are connected to sewer systems.)
C) Broadcast spread it in the bushes. Better used on rainy days, but I will do it on dry days. (I try to limit this to lower use campgrounds.)
D) Save in covered 5 gallon bucket to be dumped on a dusty gravel road on the way to a hike.
E) As flush water for the toilet, or campfire dousing water, or other camp needs like cleaning bird poop off the truck.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #97

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We (by which I mean Lori) wash and rinse dishes in basins (plastic round oil change tubs work great) when doing dishes inside and out. This water is dumped into the fire pit, which we never use for campfires. We figure there is no place more “disrupted” in a campground then a fire pit; and the next fire burns up any food solids, etc. that are left behind. This slows the fill on the gray tank, which we always disposed of at a dump station.
We enjoyed our first ever naked outdoor showers this past week at an entirely empty except us NFS campground in Calif. It was nice!
rlavine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #98

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlavine View Post
We (by which I mean Lori) wash and rinse dishes in basins (plastic round oil change tubs work great) when doing dishes inside and out. This water is dumped into the fire pit, which we never use for campfires. We figure there is no place more “disrupted” in a campground then a fire pit; and the next fire burns up any food solids, etc. that are left behind. This slows the fill on the gray tank, which we always disposed of at a dump station.
We enjoyed our first ever naked outdoor showers this past week at an entirely empty except us NFS campground in Calif. It was nice!
You are the first people that I know of that have publicly admitted to actually using their outdoor shower as a shower . Sometimes cleanliness trumps false modesty .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #99

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Like and use our outside shower, for the dog, dishes and yup even a shower.
Attached Thumbnails
2973B8FA-9EBF-43CA-8527-AB770CE98660.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #100

Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlavine View Post
Maybe TMI