Propane tank gauge - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 12:06 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
Oh come on now. it tells you when you have gas and when you're out.

steve

It wasn't a problem with accuracy. My buddy picked up a couple of those at Costco. Gave me one. We both used them on the propane bottles we use for our BBQs and concluded that they interfere with the delivery of propane, reducing the BTUs at the BBQ. We both tossed them and BBQs returned to top efficiency.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It wasn't a problem with accuracy. My buddy picked up a couple of those at Costco. Gave me one. We both used them on the propane bottles we use for our BBQs and concluded that they interfere with the delivery of propane, reducing the BTUs at the BBQ. We both tossed them and BBQs returned to top efficiency.

will go test mine. didn't notice a drop when I put it on.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Found the same on home tanks . On trailer use system Escape put on and it works as designed . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:53 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Let's be clear that there are two different Costco propane level gauges discussed in this thread. One works pretty well (it's built into the tank and measures the liquid propane level inside the tank) The other's an accessory that screws to the tank output and is not so good (it measures the pressure of the propane gas as the gas leaves the tank).

The 20-pound (barbecue size) tank that comes with the built-in gauge to measure the liquid propane level with a float inside the tank was available today for $30 USD when I went to Costco. There's a schematic on the side of the store display that shows a float inside the tank near the bottom. It appears that the gauge (located on the top on the tank near the valve shutoff) shows green until the liquid level drops toward the bottom of the tank, at which time the gauge shows yellow, then red, indicating that the last liquid propane at the bottom of the tank is significantly depleted.

The other accessory gauge that screws to the tank output works differently. It measures the pressure of the vaporized propane gas coming out of the tank. It's important to understand that the gas pressure stays the same as the liquid level drops until just immediately before the liquid is all gone, at which time the gas pressure starts to fall precipitously. So the first reason this type of gauge is rather useless is that it doesn't show anything but "Full" until very shortly before the tank is empty. The second problem, as some have commented, is that this sort of gauge sometimes interferes with the flow of propane gas, even when the tank is full.

So, as most people have found, the only truly effective way of making sure you have plenty of gas is to have at least two tanks and the ability to switch from an empty tank to a full tank when needed.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:31 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeEZ View Post
So, as most people have found, the only truly effective way of making sure you have plenty of gas is to have at least two tanks and the ability to switch from an empty tank to a full tank when needed.

And, even, to have another 10 lb. tank to fuel the BBQ and act as a reserve.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I use the indicator on the regulator and check it every day or two. Green means the chosen tank still has fuel and the other is full. Red means it is empty and I have a few days to fill it, though I usually do it that day or at least the next.

Not high tech, but works to keep me in propane at all times.

I had an indicator at one time that connected to the port on the bottle. The darn thing did not work very well at all. Besides, whether a tank is partially full, it still does not get filled until empty, and the regulator lets me know that.

The best alternative for me would be if the regulator sent a notification to my phone when the first tank emptied.
Mine tells me if I check the phone............ https://mopeka.com/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yes John you are right but most times I don’t close the red , empty tank until I check and need to go fill . Originally when we went through orientation Dave said the the system would automatically switch over no matter if I moved the lever or not . Yes to get correct reading I need to switch level over . He told us not to worry if we didn’t get to lever right away . Just many times I forget to change it over until I literally am checking , definitely happens before any trip . Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Those look interesting, Charlie. I assume you have had no problem with them.

I like that they can be swapped tank to tank as a few times I have ended up having to do the swap thing with tanks as there is no filling available close by, and any permanently mounted gauge would be gone.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have two of the Worthington steel tanks with float-connected gauges. I noticed right away that when they read "empty" there is still a gallon or so left in the tank. I guess this is because the float's primary purpose is to prevent overflow, not to show when a tank is empty.

To work around this I open both tanks and let tank #1 go to empty. I let the regulator automatically switch to tank #2 and then I watch its gauge. When it moves off the "full" peg I know that tank #1 is really empty, so I can have it filled then.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #49
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Those look interesting, Charlie. I assume you have had no problem with them.

I like that they can be swapped tank to tank as a few times I have ended up having to do the swap thing with tanks as there is no filling available close by, and any permanently mounted gauge would be gone.

I have one on each trailer tank, and also put one on my home barbecue grill. Zero problems with them - nice to be able to check the trailer tanks without having to pull off the tank cover!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #50

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have two of the Worthington steel tanks with float-connected gauges. I noticed right away that when they read "empty" there is still a gallon or so left in the tank. I guess this is because the float's primary purpose is to prevent overflow, not to show when a tank is empty.
Right - the float (which is primarily for the OPD) doesn't reach all the way to the bottom, so it can't show the level right to the bottom. For this reason, this design of level gauge is not offered on the 30-pound tanks: they use the same float, which would reach less than two-thirds of the way down into those taller tanks.

There are tanks with gauges which read all the way to the bottom, but they are not in the common 20-pound format, and they're expensive.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #51

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
An expensive option that may provide the security needed for those who boondock for long periods at a time.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #52

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
An expensive option that may provide the security needed for those who boondock for long periods at a time.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This Amazon link is for the Worthington 20 lb tanks with integral gauge that was discussed just above. It's also the same tank I saw at Costco yesterday for $30 USD.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:53 PM   #53

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
This Amazon link is for the Worthington 20 lb tanks with integral gauge that was discussed just above. It's also the same tank I saw at Costco yesterday for $30 USD.
Yes. The difference in cost would have paid for a Costco membership!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
isn't there a system with an ultrasonic transducer that is taped to the bottom of the tank, and a wireless remote readout ? it essentially uses sonar to detect the level of propane inside the tank.

ah, yeah, this one
https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-1.../dp/B01C5RQI74

I do see some recommendations to use these aluminum tank spacers rather than the rubber ones the kit comes with, as the rubber ones will split. these go on the bottom 'ring' of the tank to raise it up about 1/4" so there's clearance for the transponder, which goes on the bottom of the tank.

also note, you need to change batteries on these every 3-6 months. They use a CR2032 in each sensor.

here's the manufacturer...
Products – Mopeka Products, LLC
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #55

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
The other accessory gauge that screws to the tank output works differently. It measures the pressure of the vaporized propane gas coming out of the tank. It's important to understand that the gas pressure stays the same as the liquid level drops until just immediately before the liquid is all gone, at which time the gas pressure starts to fall precipitously. So the first reason this type of gauge is rather useless is that it doesn't show anything but "Full" until very shortly before the tank is empty. The second problem, as some have commented, is that this sort of gauge sometimes interferes with the flow of propane gas, even when the tank is full.
Spot on. Jim Norman - a veritable fountain of knowledge was the first one who brought this to my attention. "The gauges on top of the tanks are practically useless" he said. I researched the subject recalling Ronald Reagan's famous admonition: "Trust but verify". The pressure in the tanks remains consistent until the tanks are down to @5# of fuel.

And...
Quote:
Charlie y
From John in Santa Cruz...
Quote:
isn't there a system with an ultrasonic transducer that is taped to the bottom of the tank, and a wireless remote readout ? it essentially uses sonar to detect the level of propane inside the tank.
ah, yeah, this one.

I do see some recommendations to use these aluminum tank spacers rather than the rubber ones the kit comes with, as the rubber ones will split. these go on the bottom 'ring' of the tank to raise it up about 1/4" so there's clearance for the transponder, which goes on the bottom of the tank.
I purchased the AP Products 024-1000 LP Tank Check Dual Sensor with Monitor Kit. A couple of days ago I installed them. I also download the app. Almost immediately the app picked up readings from both tanks.

I attached the monitor to the wall directly underneath the controller for the awning. Currently it isn't much more than 'wall art'. The readings displayed show 3 green lights reflecting the level in both tanks. I've got a call into the mfg. Many reviews suggest the app is far more accurate then the monitor. There were hundreds of complaints about the rubber feet. Mopeka now provides metal feet with the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Mopeka.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Dutch Star
I think DOZYANT makes the best propane tank gauges because they offer different types, such as a Y-splitter and a model that takes into account the changing surrounding temperature. Their basic model has the typical color indicators to show full, low, and empty.
Everett Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Miles View Post
I think DOZYANT makes the best propane tank gauges because they offer different types, such as a Y-splitter and a model that takes into account the changing surrounding temperature. Their basic model has the typical color indicators to show full, low, and empty.
No, these pressure gauges are not good level gauges. None of them "takes into account the changing surrounding temperature". Although there are 14 listed, they probably all come out of the same two factories, for less than a dollar each.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
It is interesting that the reviews of propane gauges at the linked page (https://www.riversidetrailer.com/bes...e-tank-gauges/) starts off with a photo of the only type that actually works - a gauge that is manually connected to the float in the tank. All the rest are pressure gauges, pretty much useless since the pressure in a propane tank doesn't drop until almost empty.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
The AP/Mopeka ultrasonic on that list also legitimately works, though I hear it can be a bit finicky in terms of placement/shimming. Expensive and needs batteries, too, but better an expensive gauge that works than one that's cheap but worthless.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #60

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I rode motorcycles without fuel gauges for decades and owned a late-50's VW without - all had a manual petcock to toggle to 'reserve' when the engine started missing, no worries ... start watching for a gas station

Auto-changeover on a pair of propane tanks is the cat's meow as far as I'm concerned; ripping from Treasure of the Sierra Madre .... we don't need no stinkin' gauges

(all in good fun, no need to flame, but really, ....)