Propane tank gauge - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2021, 09:08 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have really disliked doing it, but have hit a few circumstances where I have had to exchange tanks as no refill was available. This is the main reason I have held off on spending more for tanks with measuring devices.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:06 PM   #82

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Here in Canada the cheapest place to refill a tank is at Costco...both propane and gas. If it has a gas station, it usually has the propane refill station.

Before our cross Canada trip l made a list of all Costco’s with gas stations.

Parking can be a #*# problem with a trailer on so I now will stop in a nearby lot and put the empty tank in the back of the truck. I will drive by the refill station stopping momentarily while my wife off loads with the empty tank.

When we pay for the refill inside we grab a buggy to transport the full tank to who knows where we found a spot to park.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:19 PM   #83

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Across Canada, I've found propane tank exchanges more common than bulk propane filling stations, but there are enough filling stations and I don't use the rip-off exchanges (which are not only expensive but typically provide only a partially filled tank).

It's good if you don't need propane on an emergency basis: a couple of years ago on Canada Day we unexpectedly ran out in Nova Scotia and found that there was only one working bulk propane station in the province that was open that day.

I have found Costco to be the least expensive for both gasoline and 20-pound cylinder fills; however, not all Costco stores have gas stations (only 15 of the 20 in Alberta, for instance), and most of their gas stations that I have seen don't have propane (that's not in the search filters on Costco.ca).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:51 PM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I guess we're fortunate in that propane filling stations are abundant around here, and the prices are quite low. The only time I'd consider a tank swap would be when my tank was expired. You just get way more for your money with a refill. If you camp quite a bit, or if you use a propane camp stove and portable fire pit like we do, the savings are substantial.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:39 AM   #85

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
actually I believe its easier to find places on the road to refill. truck stops. tractor supply stores,gas company's,camp sites and many more. unless you somewhere very remote I don't think you have a problem. also for the low cost of the cosco tank if you had to exchange it it would not be the end of the world. I never exchange mine.
I, too, have never found it difficult to refill propane tanks when traveling. And my first action when I need to do so is to check online where the nearest Tractor Supply store is located. Tractor Supply meter’s propane and charges based on the number of gallons required to fill. Many places change a flat fee to fill a tank, even if you are just “topping it off.” I prefer to “only pay for what I need!” And when you exchange an empty for a full tank, companies like Blue Rhino do not completely fill the tank. I do not even exchange tanks if I have an old tank that is beyond the certification date. New tanks are inexpensive enough and typically good for at least 10 years. And being honest, many people who have propane as a side business do not even look at the date stamped on a tank unless it is rusty and ugly.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #86

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
My mainstay to fill LP is to consult the AllStays app on phone. Almost my most used when traveling. I can set a filter just to show particular places like LP refill spots or public dump stations, located either at my present location or a future area.

Also visit Freecampsites.net and download a link to their web-based app for finding—guess!—free campsites along your route. Nice people and very useful service.

Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I have found Costco to be the least expensive for both gasoline and 20-pound cylinder fills; however, not all Costco stores have gas stations (only 15 of the 20 in Alberta, for instance), and most of their gas stations that I have seen don't have propane (that's not in the search filters on Costco.ca).
I just checked, and of the six Costco locations in the greater Edmonton area (or seven if Nisku is included), only two (St. Albert and south Edmonton) have propane. As long as one in each area has propane that's not a problem... but without propane in the search tool it's not trivial to find them, so one has to go to one of the other databases, have a look in Google Street View, or just call them.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One issue I have with Costco for gas or propane, is that they are terribly busy for the few locations they have in Calgary, and frankly my time is worth something. And as Brian pointed out, very few actually serve propane. Besides, at home, my refund of $0.08 per litre at Calgary Co-op puts the price well below what I can get at Costco, and there is one right near home, and a half dozen closer than Costco.

I did hit a Costco in Prescott AZ, and the price was very good there.

Now, Costco does do good with some alcohol. The odd whiskey and wine is bought there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #89

Different stations work for different people. Since no one else gives me a gasoline discount which brings the price below Costco's, it's my cheapest source; on the road, Costco stations always have lots of room for an RV rig (of whatever type). For propane, it doesn't matter how many there are, only whether there is one that is convenient; I've never filled the motorhome tank at Costco, but I prefer to fill 20-pound and 30-pound cylinders there.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:45 PM   #90

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I rode motorcycles without fuel gauges for decades and owned a late-50's VW without - all had a manual petcock to toggle to 'reserve' when the engine started missing, no worries ... start watching for a gas station

Auto-changeover on a pair of propane tanks is the cat's meow as far as I'm concerned; ripping from Treasure of the Sierra Madre .... we don't need no stinkin' gauges

(all in good fun, no need to flame, but really, ....)
👍
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:14 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
My research indicates this $70 Truma LevelCheck is one of the most accurate and easy to read.....

My truck camper rig does now have an auto changeover.... and i camp quite a bit on my own, and in all sorts of weather, and often away from 120v...
so super accurate and easy propane measuring is key.

https://shop.truma.net/products/truma-levelcheck

i got mine on holday sale, from Truma, for a few $ off.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:30 AM   #92

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
One issue I have with Costco for gas or propane, is that they are terribly busy for the few locations they have in Calgary, and frankly my time is worth something. And as Brian pointed out, very few actually serve propane. Besides, at home, my refund of $0.08 per litre at Calgary Co-op puts the price well below what I can get at Costco, and there is one right near home, and a half dozen closer than Costco.

I did hit a Costco in Prescott AZ, and the price was very good there.

Now, Costco does do good with some alcohol. The odd whiskey and wine is bought there.
In the US, annual Costco membership is $60. If one purchases a lot of items at Costco, the membership cost may be justified. And if Costco is primarily used for gasoline purchases, obviously the membership cost has to be factored into the lower price of gasoline (what is the break-even point?).
I am not a Costco member because I make membership decisions based upon where I spend the bulk of my time, which is in the area where I reside. Yes, I may travel for 3-4 months in the summer, but I have found that (and this is true where I live) that there are typically more nearby Walmart stores than Costco. At home, I can drive to any one of three different Walmarts thrice for the same time and mileage as it takes to get to the nearest Costco once. Considering the cost of driving, that too has to be factored in to how much you are actually saving, and I (personally) have found that purchasing groceries at Walmart to be as cost effective as anywhere (even though the highly touted rotisserie chicken at Costco may be better!). Then again, I have had much better Swedish meatballs than those sold at IKEA that so many people rave about.
My daughter and S-I-L are Costco members and shop there frequently. If I were purchasing a lot of major items or had a young family, I would probably consider becoming a Costco member. We did join Sam’s Club several years ago but did not renew our membership because we hardly ever used it.
As far as booze is concerned, being retired military, I can go to any base in the US (MacDill AFB in Tampa is the nearest) and purchase alcoholic beverages at a much lower price than Costco or any other retailer can offer. But I find I consume less and less alcohol with increasing age, so even that is of little savings to me. Actually, I prefer to shop at Total Wine and Spirits (Tampa) for adult beverages even though more expensive than at military bases due to its overwhelming selection of differing products.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #93

I'm not suggesting that anyone buy a Costco membership just to buy cheaper propane (although people who use a lot of propane in 20-pound cylinders and buy it all at Costco might net save money doing that in this area). I regularly buy some things at Costco and have a membership, so I can use it for gas and propane as well at no additional membership cost. Some people (especially those who have Costco memberships anyway) might find it useful to know that, at least in some areas, Costco can be a good propane source. Different people in different areas will find different solutions that work for them.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:24 PM   #94
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i live less than 2 miles from the local Costco, which has fuel and diesel but not propane. the local gas station I go to that refills propane tanks charges $4/gallon, which is a bit high, but not outrageous. We get enough stuff at Costco to make the executive membership a great deal
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:58 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Good to know about Costco, but I have never been in one let alone ever seen one. Just not anywhere in the eastern US I guess! Havn't been west in years.

Tom
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #96
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
Good to know about Costco, but I have never been in one let alone ever seen one. Just not anywhere in the eastern US I guess! Havn't been west in years.

Tom
Costco shows at least 4 stores in Tennessee, 2 in/near Nashville, one in Knoxville, and one near Chattanooga.

also, one in Huntsville, AL, 3 in the north side of greater Atlanta, GA, 8 or 9 in NC, 7 in SC, 9 in VA, etc etc. They tend to be pretty far on the outskirts of town, in wide open spaces where they can have huge parking lots and a massive warehouse sized building.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:55 AM   #97

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I heat my home with propane. When the truck comes to fill the 2 tanks beside the house, if I ask they will also fill the Escape tanks and I don't have to take them off the trailer. This time they also filled the small tank I have for the bbq. $2.55/gallon which is competitive for here. I think it's a perk of living in a small town and I am grateful.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:08 AM   #98
Site Team

I've heard from more than a few folks who live in rural places where they heat with delivered propane in a big onsite storage tank, that they got a kit to fill their 20 lb propane bottles from their big tank. apparently you don't need a pump to do it if you have the time to kill and can put the 5G tank well below your big tank so gravity assists.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #99

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I heat my home with propane. When the truck comes to fill the 2 tanks beside the house, if I ask they will also fill the Escape tanks and I don't have to take them off the trailer. This time they also filled the small tank I have for the bbq. $2.55/gallon which is competitive for here. I think it's a perk of living in a small town and I am grateful.

I been doing that the last few years. $1.69 gallon here. Last time the driver was her I had the tanks sitting out there and he said they could not fill them any more. He was a new driver so i don't know if its there company policy or he just didn't want to do it.
I did buy some of those 1 lb refillable tanks and they work great. save a lot of cash on the one pounders

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #100

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Yes a fill from the big tank does work. It is much slower. My Recent fill was $1,30/gal. In the summer, we typically get 4 weeks from the trailer tank. This is a mix of boondocking and hookups. In the winter it can be as little as 2-3 days. When it’s that cold, I need electricity. I too don’t use the change over. If it’s a night I need heat, I just make sure the open tank has enough for the night. I get tanks filled until I get turned down somewhere for age and then move to exchange on the road or fill from my big tank at home. I’ve only been turned down 3 times. If the tanks look sound, most places don’t check. I have cleaned and repainted tanks, but it’s been several years since I’ve done that or even needed to, because most RV’s have covered tanks now. I use small bottles for the grill because I don’t want to drag a hose from a quick connect. I prefer to put the grill wherever I want. Our trips are typically 8-12 weeks long in above freezing weather and a week or two when it’s really cold. Really cold is when it is below freezing for extended days. Obviously some others do things differently.