Propane tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Propane tanks

I was in a Midwest chain big box lumber etc etc store yesterday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. In one aisle was new Worthington propane tanks. The vertical style 11 pound tank was $56 and change. Just below it was the CPA Harley “I’ll never have to fill this sucker model” holds 100 lbs propane. A pair on the tongue of the new 21 will make sure the tongue is tight on the ball. And allow Jim to hunt coons on his way to a fall campout on a brisk November night. How about it Jim?
The big one was $115 and tax.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
320ED93B-4ABE-452B-ACF2-6574C83BF453a.jpg   8447E403-AD0F-4C00-9B04-1329AC47FA30a.jpg  
Old 12-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Just below it was the CPA Harley “I’ll never have to fill this sucker model” holds 100 lbs propane.
The big one was $115 and tax.
Quite a few years ago Nk'Mip (the campground used for the annual Escape Customer Appreciation Rally) had a propane station and a supply of 100-pound tanks. The idea was that seasonal campers (the over-winter people who pay by the month) can wheel their tank down to the fill station on a hand truck and get it refilled whenever they need it. Other seasonal RV parks use 240-pound or 420-pound tanks, and a truck comes around (on a schedule, such as once a week) to fill anyone who needs it without moving the tank. In any of these cases, the tank is left on the ground beside the RV, and connected with a long hose.

I've even seen two of this size mounted on the tongue of an industrial trailer (a mobile office or shop or whatever), so it's not as wild an idea as it might sound at first.

I think the most awkward thing about the 100-pound size is that it is the largest size that normally doesn't have a level gauge, but it's too heavy to pick it up to judge how much is left by weight. A long-term camper might want to use two, with the usual auto-changeover regulator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
“I’ll never have to fill this sucker model” holds 100 lbs propane. A pair on the tongue of the new 21 will make sure the tongue is tight on the ball. And allow Jim to hunt coons on his way to a fall campout on a brisk November night. How about it Jim?

Iowa Dave
Wouldn't he be saying "I'll never get another trailer until I can empty these suckers"

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:53 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ha ha funny guys, I already have 2 coons living with me....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0242.jpg   IMG_0246.jpg  
Old 12-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think the most awkward thing about the 100-pound size is that it is the largest size that normally doesn't have a level gauge, but it's too heavy to pick it up to judge how much is left by weight. A long-term camper might want to use two, with the usual auto-changeover regulator.
As you are likely checking it once it is getting low, it is not all that heavy. I have had to load and unload one when getting it filled for our cook house furnace, and fine it is more awkward than heavy. Mind you, to check propane level accurately, I just do the hot water pour on the tank to tell.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
In coolers temps, between 25-45°F we found we were getting 7 days or so on the 20# tanks. Without the furnace we got 14 days for cooking , fridge, and minimal hot water use. The 30# tanks look like they could work for those times we'd like to stay somewhere for a month. The 20# mounting system looks too short for the taller 30's.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

The twin 30# up front may interfere with the front box use.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The twin 30# up front may interfere with the front box use.
Why? You should be able to find 30# tanks that are not any wider, only taller. I believe the only modification necessary would be a longer threaded rod (maybe 6" or so) to move the regulator assembly up, longer main propane line if there isn't enough slack and a new cover. Actually the regulator can likely stay in place as it resides between the tanks. Might need longer pigtails to reach up to the taller tanks though.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...3318&aid=13318

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...0-lbs/?id=9025

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-3...er-polar-white

Oliver offers 30# tanks as an upgrade. The nice thing is that once you are modified for 30# you can always use 20# tanks too.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #9

I meant not being able to reach over the higher tanks vs the stock tanks and then reaching down, you maybe limited to only accessing from the sides of the front box. Just a thought....
Old 12-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I meant not being able to reach over the higher tanks vs the stock tanks and then reaching down, you maybe limited to only accessing from the sides of the front box. Just a thought....
Ahhh I see. The tank cover over the 20# tanks is about level with the top of the front storage box in stock configuration. Going to 30# tanks would raise this essentially creating an area 6" high by 30" wide that wasn't there previously. Most owners would probably be ok working around this by simply accessing the box from either side, but I see your point.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
With the brace in the middle of the storage box and the hitch in the center out front of the propane tanks, I always access my tanks from one end or the other. I don’t step over the hitch, I go around. I put things to the centered the box I only need when hitching up or setting up camp. Like my spare propane tank my ball Xchocks and my WDH tools. Out on the ends I put my hoses, drop cord, wheel chocks, kneeling pad etc. any arrangement may seem awkward till either you get used to it or realize you prefer a personal order of things for the way you camp.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #12

Trailer: future 5.0 owner
I was wondering if the 5.0 accepts 30lbs propane tanks. Is there room for them up front